or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 202

post #3016 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr. View Post

I presume the Filson workers consider their situation fair. I concede I have made no inquiries how Filson treats their workers.
Nor have I investigated the conditions under which the materials used to make Filson luggage are produced.

You and your wife need help from a third person who knows how to advise regarding money.
That's the problem that will arise in various contexts.

Presumably, your Filson bag is made in America, where workers have more legal rights than in other countries. By buying Filson bags made in the US, you do not exploit nor do you help exploit human beings in more inhuman societies. Your wife does not concern herself with the human beings who make the bag, their wives and their children - anywhere. You can't expect aesthetic judgment for the design of the Filson bag to awake overnight in an adult, but you can expect clarity in regard to the economic conditions. You can be thankful to your wife that she indirectly shows you that you don't understand human economics. It is sad, indeed tragic your address appears to be the city founded for legislation and jurisdiction of a nation governed by the people and for the people, where you should know better.

puzzled.gif

I don't think DC Office Hack's post had anything whatsoever to do with workers' rights or how Filson treats their employees, yet you managed to turn it into a discussion about said topics. I think it's time for Naive, Jr. to step out of this thread. Seriously, your posts make no sense.
post #3017 of 4379
Sorry, Flyswatter, but you better read the posts more carefully (and "step INTO this thread" in your thinking). The husband (who calls himself Office Hack - an office is where people WORK) likes Filson, but his wife considers the price too high - she can read the PRICE! The price is higher than where WORKers are exploited. Or don't you care? Maybe you are just pretending not to understand? No flies to swat, so you swat me? Please report me to the Style Forum administration - I'd like to know whose post violates decorum. I think you are a troll in masquerade.

PS: Were you too late to get my postscript about Brooks Brothers' declaration in regard to the California Transparency Act, Flyswatter, or did you omit it because you think it's not serious? Even Santa Claus has to WORK to bring and jump down the chimney in your living room and put all those presents for you under the tree - maybe he dreams of a Filson, but can't afford it because you drank and ate the milk and cookies your parents left for him, so he had to spend his meager allowance on a Big Veg, don't forget his reindeer are grown up, too, so their parents don't feed them. Santa has to share his Big Veg with how many reindeer?
Edited by Naive, Jr. - 12/15/13 at 10:23pm
post #3018 of 4379
post #3019 of 4379
We all hope for Flyswatter that Santa Claus soon puts under the Christmas tree the Filson bag Flyswatter needs to bear such agitating burden of destiny. May Flyswatter feel the certainty to know our hearts bleed to know he suffers such agony - as Filson's most recent email title aptly expresses the situation about a gift for the outsider.
Now back to the topic of the thread. When I understand how and have whatever technical means to do it, I would like to put the three photographs of my Filson rucksack I purchased in 2008 here, which I sent as email attachment to the Filson customer service to facilitate evaluation for repair. The canvas along the lower edges of the canvas rectangular enclosure for the bottom of the leather back straps has frayed, the leather within is visible because the canvas is split open on both ends. Along the bottom seam the canvas is worn through, on one side forming a hole now as large as the width of the leather straps. This wearing out of the canvas is visible on the lower side of the lowest horizontal seam on the back side of the rucksack.
Edited by Naive, Jr. - 12/15/13 at 8:09pm
post #3020 of 4379
i can attest to the 256 because i had mine for a few years and i put it through hell and it has only gotten better. i'll try and snap a pic if i can remember tomorrow.
post #3021 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Office Hack View Post

I recently picked up a tan 257 from a forum member. Paid what I consider to be a decent price for a mint bag, $210. Anyway, my wife found the Paypal invoice and challenged me as to how that bag could possibly be worth that much money. For her, it's just a canvas bag. I was at a loss, for I don't think I can explain the bag's appeal, nor does my views on quality and sourcing mean much to her. To me, it's not just a canvas bag. It's a thing of beauty, and an object of quality. Not to say that no machines were involved or anything like that, but the priority here is quality, not economy. It will last, too. Plus, the fact of the matter is that I cannot afford any of the leather briefcases that I consider worth owning.

Sigh.

Well, it's not a jet ski. I challenge your wife to find another canvas bag that has the same thickness (22 oz canvas); bridle leather trim, handles, and shoulder strap; and functional design for less $$$. If she does, please post the info -- I'd like to know. I have looked a other bags (e.g. similar ones from LL Bean) and they don't measure up.
post #3022 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgb1980 View Post

i can attest to the 256 because i had mine for a few years and i put it through hell and it has only gotten better. i'll try and snap a pic if i can remember tomorrow.

I must admit I didn't mistreat my rucksack, and I notice you and the other recent posters identify the rucksack by 256, but I doubt that Filson changed details of construction since I bought mine in 2008. My intention, however, is not to stimulate the opposite of enthusiasm in the Filson devotees on this thread which seems to be sacred and as unbeliever or heretic start what looks like a Holy War. I just wanna get my bag fixed before the canvas wears through more and more. In both meanings I'm not eager for the fray!
Edited by Naive, Jr. - 12/15/13 at 8:40pm
post #3023 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosacto View Post

Well, it's not a jet ski. I challenge your wife to find another canvas bag that has the same thickness (22 oz canvas); bridle leather trim, handles, and shoulder strap; and functional design for less $$$. If she does, please post the info -- I'd like to know. I have looked a other bags (e.g. similar ones from LL Bean) and they don't mweasure up.

Next time you're in Asia, I'm sure you can find the cheap imitation your heart desires so you don't anger
Mrs DC Office Hack by your arrogance to interfere in their financial situation. I can't advi$e you where because my conscience isn't a ca$h regi$ter.

By the way, Sacramento is where the California Transparency Akt quoted by Brooks Brothers was passed as law, if you mean Sacramento, California.

I looked through the clothes part of the L.L.Bean catalog awhile ago - much, if not practically all, is Asian import, isn't it?
Edited by Naive, Jr. - 12/15/13 at 10:00pm
post #3024 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr. View Post

Dear Churchhill W,

I give persons like you who give their address as New York leeway, too, when I hear other persons from other places in North America complain about the presumptuous attitude. Give Nevadabob a chance to answer if he works for Filson, whose customer service had the bag model 262(?) the same which I wrote Filson customer service about repair because its bottom is falling apart - with another model of small carry-on (but larger than the rucksack) to my aquaintance who received both Filson bags delivered (maybe by Nevadabob's relative?) to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, where he was on vacation. I couldn't afford Filson's fee for shipping to Europe. Please do say hello for me, Churchhill W, next time you walk the streets of Big Apple to all those human beings who beg for change in Manhattan, - I had the privilege to meet a few anytime if day or night when I went out my door on 113 th between B'way and A'dam. Sorry but the miniscule format of this cell phone makes typing tricky and my agenda awaits - I 'm waiting again for an answer patiently after complying with Filson customer service representative's strange "don't hesitate to write", when in fact I was waiting and am stilling waiting for an answer for my inquiry about repair of my rucksack from him and his Filson repair service Nevadabob?

PS: What makes the last thing I've heard from the Filson customer service representative's "don't hesitate to write" more than strange is how he never sent me the email address of the Filson repair workshop. I couldn't send the photos of the bag directly to the persons who do the repair. And after waiting in vain for his response, I wrote to the Filson customer service asking for help because their representative does not cooperate after I sent him photographs to facilitate judgment, the same person replied later with "don't hesitate to write".

I didn't mean to insult you, but from reading your posts, it doesn't seem like English is your first language. I was just asking for other posters to go easier on you, but it seems like you don't want anyone to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr. View Post

I notice you and the other recent posters identify the rucksack by 256
The 256 is the Original Briefcase and not the rucksack.
post #3025 of 4379
Dear Churchill W,

I didn't ask you to help me in regard to anyone else here nor did I seek your judgment about anything else except my Filson rucksack and Filson customer service.
Your identification of the Filson model number is related to this thread.

What I think about your relationship to the English language I'll express in a situation which fits.
post #3026 of 4379
More praise for the pullman. Just spent a few days traveling all over the country interviewing for residency and took my pullman as my only bag. 6000 miles by plane, trains, cabs, friends cars, multiple plane rides, checked/unchecked, thrown around by the baggage people, dropped into the snow by the cab driver, scraped on the ground by the bell hop, thrown into the back of a pick up truck, used as a foot rest and pillow, accidentally dropped into the slush back east...

And the bag still looks brand new. This thing is a solid. If your considering you should go for it. It will probably be the last bag you'll ever buy.
post #3027 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post

More praise for the pullman. Just spent a few days traveling all over the country interviewing for residency and took my pullman as my only bag. 6000 miles by plane, trains, cabs, friends cars, multiple plane rides, checked/unchecked, thrown around by the baggage people, dropped into the snow by the cab driver, scraped on the ground by the bell hop, thrown into the back of a pick up truck, used as a foot rest and pillow, accidentally dropped into the slush back east...

And the bag still looks brand new.I'd This thing is a solid. If your considering you should go for it. It will probably be the last bag you'll ever buy.

Dear Gnu,

I consider what kind of bag would be best for travel, too. My Filson ruucksack is to carry my books and other daily requisites,, my small carry-on might function for a very short voyage, but your itinerary is genuine travel meaning the snail needs his shell underway. What you descriibe sounds exciting, everything you say somehow gets a sobering when you speak as a prophet - "It will probaby be the last bag you'll ever buy."

Sure, it's evident the young adult needs to experience the beauty of the world, and ideals are medicine against inner paralysis. I don't want to say you sou,d like a salesman or zealot, but I'm sorry, I can't swallow your soothsaying. I wanted to believe what I heard, but reality turned out different. My indestructible Filson isn't. That's a fact. Although I abandoned alcohol early in puberty, as a metaphor I experienced a hangover with my Filson rucksack. Strange that nobody here on this thread has offered me the least insight. One poster of a speculative nature however illusory, did clarify number jargon. The echo I get here brings me to earth as jungle. I appreciate your report of experience, but its language sounds unbalanced. If the reader is full of desire for the bag, he misses another sense of your prophecy.
post #3028 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr. View Post



Next time you're in Asia, I'm sure you can find the cheap imitation your heart desires so you don't anger

Mrs DC Office Hack by your arrogance to interfere in their financial situation. I can't advi$e you where because my conscience isn't a ca$h regi$ter.



By the way, Sacramento is where the California Transparency Akt quoted by Brooks Brothers was passed as law, if you mean Sacramento, California.



I looked through the clothes part of the L.L.Bean catalog awhile ago - much, if not practically all, is Asian import, isn't it?

 



Was this post intended for me? My heart doesn't desire a "cheap imitation." I do not intend to "anger Mrs DC Office Hack." My point is that I don't believe that imitation Filson products are as good as the real thing. I am truly curious to find out if other manufacturers, in asia or elsewhere, sell product that are as solid and well-built as Filson items. I haven't seen any. Finally, I have no interest in geographically based insults.
post #3029 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr. View Post


Give it a rest.
post #3030 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosacto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr. View Post



Next time you're in Asia, I'm sure you can find the cheap imitation your heart desires so you don't anger

Mrs DC Office Hack by your arrogance to interfere in their financial situation. I can't advi$e you where because my conscience isn't a ca$h regi$ter.



By the way, Sacramento is where the California Transparency Akt quoted by Brooks Brothers was passed as law, if you mean Sacramento, California.



I looked through the clothes part of the L.L.Bean catalog awhile ago - much, if not practically all, is Asian import, isn't it?

 



Was this post intended for me? My heart doesn't desire a "cheap imitation." I do not intend to "anger Mrs DC Office Hack." My point is that I don't believe that imitation Filson products are as good as the real thing. I am truly curious to find out if other manufacturers, in asia or elsewhere, sell product that are as solid and well-built as Filson items. I haven't seen any. Finally, I have no interest in geographically based insults.
[quote name="patrick_b" url="/t/133759/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures/3015#post

Dear motosacto,

You're surely quite right I've misunderstood you - someone like yourself deserves the best, Mrs DC Office Hack will be very impressed by your thoughtful and clever challenge, and Asia has been waiting far too long for a customer of such virtuous stature.

Bon Voyage!
Edited by Naive, Jr. - 12/17/13 at 10:56am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures