or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 188

post #2806 of 4207


This is my new Filson Original Briefcase model in navy. I picked navy for the versatility of the colour, the fact it won't show dirt as easily, and may go better with suits since I'll be using it for business. My first pick was the dark brown, but seeing the navy in person made me change my mind. The fabric is also a few oz. lighter than the tan. I've loaded it up with a few books and I'm breaking in the shoulder strap.
post #2807 of 4207

Anyone know how to remove indigo stains from raw denim from a filson bag?

post #2808 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec123456 View Post

Anyone know how to remove indigo stains from raw denim from a filson bag?

Would that be a tan coloured bag ?
post #2809 of 4207

It's a small khaki duffle

post #2810 of 4207
Its patina, get over it.
post #2811 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post

Its patina, get over it.

Probably the best thing to do as I have a feeling that trying to clean it could be a major pain, particularly if it has been on there a while.

The cloth is going to be the most problemmatic. You could try cleaning with water first and then maybe moving up to foaming cleaner of some sort.

Let us know how you get on.
Edited by milw50717 - 10/15/13 at 6:17pm
post #2812 of 4207
In need of a replacement shoulder strap for a medium duffel and Filson is backordered for four more weeks. Anybody have any tips on who may have them?
post #2813 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by milw50717 View Post

Probably the best thing to do as I have a feeling that trying to clean it could be a major pain, particularly if it has been on there a while.

The cloth is going to be the most problemmatic. You could try cleaning with water first and then maybe moving up to foaming cleaner of some sort.

Let us know how you get on.

Don't bother. Indigo bonds electrostatically. Basically the stain is permanent. The only way to keep this down is by regular treating of the twill with wax. Indigo doesn't stick to waxy or oily surfaces. This is also how you keep your boots or anything else that's leather from staining as well.

I don't care or worry about this kind of stuff. It's part of the patina process.
post #2814 of 4207
Regarding the gentleman's strap question...call the Filson store here in Portland. Filson has several styles in stock.
post #2815 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

Don't bother. Indigo bonds electrostatically. Basically the stain is permanent. The only way to keep this down is by regular treating of the twill with wax. Indigo doesn't stick to waxy or oily surfaces. This is also how you keep your boots or anything else that's leather from staining as well.

I think if you clean as soon as you see the stain on the bag it is possible to clean to some extent. In short:
  1. Prevention
  2. Clean quickly if you see it occuring
  3. Live with it
post #2816 of 4207
Thread Starter 
i think indigo stains on filson bags are one of the more common 1st world problems encountered on styleforum.
post #2817 of 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

i think indigo stains on filson bags are one of the more common 1st world problems encountered on styleforum.

An entirely and easily avoidable problem or perhaps a self-inflicted wound.
post #2818 of 4207
Hey Filson fans,

First off, I apologize, as the question I'm about to pose has probably been asked before in this thread. I acquired my first Filson product a little over a year ago (dopp kit in tan) and love the quality and design. Now, I'm looking to purchase a versatile, small/medium size bag for travel (carry-on) and which can also work as an every day, office type of bag. I am leaning toward the 256 Original Briefcase. My only hesitation is that I'm in my 20s and fresh out of college, and still trying to shake the idea that briefcases/messenger bags are douchey, as is the perception of most when you carry one on a college campus.

Any thoughts? Any other styles I should consider? Thoughts on the most versatile color? As someone a few posts up mentioned, seems like navy is a great color that looks good when in casual attire as well as a suit. That said, I also really like tan, and it would be nice to match the dopp kit I already have.

Lastly, who's got the best prices on Filson products? Seems like the seller "FilsonGuy" in the SF marketplace is reputable with great discounts on new products. Anyone dealt with him?

Thanks for any input!
post #2819 of 4207
Eastdane has 25% off from now until 20 October 2013 with the code INTHEFAMILY25. There's free international shipping if you spend above a certain amount (almost all the Filson items will qualify).

Here you go: http://www.eastdane.com/filson/br/v=1/20501.htm

Enjoy.
post #2820 of 4207
It looks nice but it is pretty heavy. I carry iPad, wallet, phone, and a diary & stationery but my shoulder can feel the weight within minutes of walking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures