or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 160

post #2386 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsapple View Post

Do you all think a woman would look out of place with a 256? I'm starting grad school in the fall and have been considering getting one to replace the zippered tote I used throughout my undergrad years. The tote is one of my best purchases, no question, but the lack of interior organization meant it was a bit tricky to use sometimes.

As this is a photo thread, here's my brown 261: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
2ypa9ena.jpg

I agree with Kalyx. If you want the same volume as the 261 you are better off with a 257.
post #2387 of 4315

During my recent travel with my Rucksack, I noticed one of the little flaps that the straps attach to is half ripped-out at the seam; a little disappointing in a $265 backpack after 1 year of light use. My LL Bean rucksack is over 10 years old and I've loaded it up with +80 pounds on multiple occasions, with nary a loose thread. Anyway, time to try out the Filson guarantee and see what the premium I'm paying for a Filson product gets me.

 

I went to the Filson store in Portland yesterday, and said I needed a repair. The employee first asked if I had called customer service and then told me they don't do repairs on site... OK... I hadn't called CS because I figured it'd be better/easier to just go to the very store I purchased the damn thing. After I received some blank stares, I asked if they could ship it to be repaired for me at least, which they reluctantly took down my info and processed for me. Then I was told Filson will contact me directly to handle the claim and if I owe anything for repairs. We'll see what happens next, but so far I am less than thrilled with this purchase.

 

My other complaint is even with the shoulder pads I purchased from Filson, the thing is still so damn uncomfortable on the shoulders. Whomever said Filson is a fashion-piece more than functional, nailed it. I believed the domestic origins and customer service commanded the premium, but so far I am underwhelmed; maybe I expect too much.

post #2388 of 4315
I agree the shoulder pad is uncomfortable. I've still been using my 257 though but lately it's been staying home when I travel.
post #2389 of 4315
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread (did a search and saw no results), but in the movie "The Company You Keep", Shia LaBeouf plays a reporter and is shown carrying/using what appears to be a Filson bag in several scenes throughout the movie.
post #2390 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound35 View Post

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread (did a search and saw no results), but in the movie "The Company You Keep", Shia LaBeouf plays a reporter and is shown carrying/using what appears to be a Filson bag in several scenes throughout the movie.

Hah, I was pretty bored this weekend and watched the Steve Martin/Owen WIlson/Jack Black movie, "The Big Year" and Steve Martin was shown in numerous scenes with an otter green Sportsman bag.

post #2391 of 4315
I have used the warranty a couple of times with out any problem. I have a wallet and after a couple of years the thread holding the middle part falls out and I return it and get a new one. I call customer service and get a claim number and mail it in. In a few weeks I get a new wallet in the mail. I can't remember if I have to pay for shipping to them or not, I think I do.

Chad
post #2392 of 4315
Brooks Brothers just emailed a code for 25% off through May 11th - FNFBB6. Appears to work on Filson items so thought you might like to know. Example:



I have no affiliation to BB except as a satisfied customer. I bought a couple of Filson bags through them recently - at 20% off rather than 25% though eh.gif
post #2393 of 4315

Here is a link that I found on Google. Guess you'd have to purchase the contraption to pound the pieces together effectively. If you live in NYC you could pay a visit to the Garment District and go in to one of those places that put in rivets, eyelets etc. by those heavy duty machines for a more secure implant. Good luck.

 

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivets/semitubular-rivets.html?gclid=CPeu9NWKhbcCFUPc4AoddwcAEg

post #2394 of 4315
I'm looking for a small filson duffle (preferably tan). If anyone has one or knows where I can get one on a deal please message me. Thank you in advance!!
post #2395 of 4315

WayFair.com sells Filson sometime with the 25% discount. But, you have to push nicely for it. And on occassions the Filsons were around $215.00/$220.00 before the discount.

post #2396 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hype1234 View Post

I'm looking for a small filson duffle (preferably tan). If anyone has one or knows where I can get one on a deal please message me. Thank you in advance!!

Look two posts above yours. Filson bags do not get heavily discounted most of the time.
post #2397 of 4315
Ya I know Brooks brothers is usually the only place to grab a new one on a good deal. Was just looking into it though and also seeing if anyone had one secondhand.
post #2398 of 4315
Got my wool duffle today, a bit lighter than I expected but still quite nice
post #2399 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Got my wool duffle today, a bit lighter than I expected but still quite nice

Me too. Not sure what to make of it - I agree with the dude above who isn't sure how the wool works as an exterior fabric. It's very slouchy. Because of this the bag has this weird tendency to bow out at the bottom of the bag (you can sort of see it if you look closely at the picture below).

Overall I'd say the bag looks nice but not sure how great it's really going to work out when used. Also would note that the shoulder "pad" is one layer of bridle and not nearly as nice as the pads on my 258 strap. All the leather pieces feel a bit cheaper than the 258 to be honest. Glad I didn't pay $270.


post #2400 of 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

Me too. Not sure what to make of it - I agree with the dude above who isn't sure how the wool works as an exterior fabric. It's very slouchy. Because of this the bag has this weird tendency to bow out at the bottom of the bag (you can sort of see it if you look closely at the picture below).

Overall I'd say the bag looks nice but not sure how great it's really going to work out when used. Also would note that the shoulder "pad" is one layer of bridle and not nearly as nice as the pads on my 258 strap. All the leather pieces feel a bit cheaper than the 258 to be honest. Glad I didn't pay $270.



Think the wool will hold up just fine but agree with your observations. It's a smaller bag though so I'll probably use it for gym and stuff like that maybe. Wool doesn't smell which is nice. Might just sell it though, expected a bit more from Filson
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures