Thoughts on the brown 257 being paired with formal CBD wear? Too casual?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Filson Medium Travel bag Last post on 6/14/14 at 9:50pm in Buying and Selling
- A Functional, Stylish Briefcase for a Traveling Businessman Last post on 7/19/15 at 8:20am in Classic Menswear
- Finding THE leather bag... Last post on 10/25/13 at 4:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Cloth messenger bag that collapses down flat Last post on 1/6/13 at 3:47am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
Last edited: 4/26/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: AccessoriesLast edited: 11/11/15
- Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In Search of the Perfect...Last edited: 11/23/14
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 149post #2222 of 57322/13/13 at 3:04pmQuote:
No, I don't think so. On the rare occasion when I wear a suit (in which case it is invariably CBD) I use by brown 256, just like I do on any other day. Personally I think that is the main advantage of brown over the other Filson colors - it doesn't scream "LOOK AT MY FILSON" like the tan, nor does it resemble military surplus like the green. There might be some ultra-CBD situations where a canvas bag of any color will draw a raised eyebrow, but that seems more of a theoretical concern than a practical one.
(For avoidance of doubt, I like and own tan and green bags as well - I just don't like them for a briefcase.)post #2223 of 57322/13/13 at 7:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by itsmejson
What color are these two bags? Do you find the small duffel adequate for a 2-4 day trip or would a medium size be better?
I currently have a brown original briefcase. What would u guys do - stick with brown for the duffle or go for another color?
What is the best price on the medium travel bag? Hanks currently has them for $262.50 is that a decent price?
Months late but they are both brown! The one on top has been owned a couple of years and the duffle was brand new.
As for color coordinating, I thought the idea of having a matching set of Filson bags was soo coool. lol. I did have some doubts at first but I prefer the brown because it doesn't show dirt as easily and I think it is very versatile color.post #2224 of 57322/14/13 at 4:07ampost #2225 of 57322/17/13 at 5:56ampost #2226 of 57322/18/13 at 1:24ampost #2227 of 57322/20/13 at 11:15ampost #2228 of 57322/20/13 at 12:09pmpost #2229 of 57322/20/13 at 1:21pmpost #2230 of 57322/20/13 at 8:45pmpost #2231 of 57322/21/13 at 7:51ampost #2232 of 57322/23/13 at 11:29am
I've been been using Filson bags extensively for travel over the last couple of years. I think I've flown 200,000+ miles with either a filson roll-aboard or a pullman bag (both in tan), including two trips to England last year. I really like the looks of the red label bags in blue, so I picked up a zippered tote last fall. It's definitely lighter weight than my tan 257. I just added a blue duffel to go with it. I haven't seen a lot of the red label bags on this thread, so here they are:post #2233 of 57322/23/13 at 8:47pmpost #2234 of 57322/25/13 at 12:21pmSo, just got a green 257 from Crane's, and the leather on some of the pieces is just beyond too dry. Feels like a cross between styrofoam and cardboard when I rub my finger along it. Called them up, they'll exchange it, though they're out of stock on the green 257, so it's going to be an extra week or two. Anyone else get their bag *that* dry? I mean, no complaint to Crane's, since they had no issue with the exchange, no problems with the return shipping. Leather needs to be oiled and maintained, of course, but I don't think this leather can be nursed to proper health at this point, or at least, not worth the risk since I won't be able to return it if I try.post #2235 of 57322/25/13 at 2:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by wdahab
So, just got a green 257 from Crane's, and the leather on some of the pieces is just beyond too dry. Feels like a cross between styrofoam and cardboard when I rub my finger along it. Called them up, they'll exchange it, though they're out of stock on the green 257, so it's going to be an extra week or two. Anyone else get their bag *that* dry? I mean, no complaint to Crane's, since they had no issue with the exchange, no problems with the return shipping. Leather needs to be oiled and maintained, of course, but I don't think this leather can be nursed to proper health at this point, or at least, not worth the risk since I won't be able to return it if I try.
yeah, their leather comes like that. get some obenaufs and give it a good rub down. should be fine. if its STILL dry after that, then you've got yourself a problem.
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 4 seconds ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 7 seconds ago
- › WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum 11 seconds ago
- › Outdoor Style Go Out!/Free & Easy/Doubt Everything JP Magazine Lot 1 minute ago
- › Nespresso Club 1 minute ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 7 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 8 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding