or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 2

post #16 of 4136
I have a Filson duffle and it is a great bag to use in all but the most formal settings. Bullet proof, and style points to spare. I get compliments across the spectrum of dressers and age groups, male and female.

For the Louis Vuitton haters (and lovers), I have one of those too. In leather of course, with no logos.
post #17 of 4136
Thread Starter 
What I like here is that there are deep pockets on the sides of the bag. This way you can neatly stow the shoulder strap and even a umbrella on each of the side pockets.
post #18 of 4136
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post
What I like here is that there are deep pockets on the sides of the bag. This way you can neatly stow the shoulder strap and even a umbrella on each of the side pockets.
Is that the 257? I didn't realize it had the two side pockets. That's outstanding. How stiff is the canvas? If it's placed on the ground while not packed to capacity, is it rigid enough to keep it's basic shape/remain upright?
post #19 of 4136
Thread Starter 
This is the 257. Well the canvas is so thick and stiff that I only now noticed the pockets on the sides. It can stand on its own for now, but time (and wear) will most likely make the super thick canvas softer. In this picture the bag is standing on its own.

I love when bags have pockets on the sides to stow the shoulder strap and whatever. Its hard when you put a shoulder strap on the side and make the bag bulky on the side and uncomfortable to use. Or worst having to put a strap (which can take up a ton of space) into the inside of the main compartments. This way you have the option to carry it however you want.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JT82 View Post
Is that the 257? I didn't realize it had the two side pockets. That's outstanding.

How stiff is the canvas? If it's placed on the ground while not packed to capacity, is it rigid enough to keep it's basic shape/remain upright?
post #20 of 4136
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post
here is an image of a well aged (15yrs old according to the leica site) tan 257 (from locust jones flicker page : http://www.flickr.com/photos/4013214...n/photostream/)


That's a fantastic strap, but much too thick to be a current Filson. Wonder if that's what Filson used when he bought it or if it's his own customization.
post #21 of 4136
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post
This is the 257. Well the canvas is so thick and stiff that I only now noticed the pockets on the sides. It can stand on its own for now, but time (and wear) will most likely make the super thick canvas softer. In this picture the bag is standing on its own. I love when bags have pockets on the sides to stow the shoulder strap and whatever. Its hard when you put a shoulder strap on the side and make the bag bulky on the side and uncomfortable to use. Or worst having to put a strap (which can take up a ton of space) into the inside of the main compartments. This way you have the option to carry it however you want.
Looks great - I agree that having those side pockets is a huge plus. Good to know that it's thick enough to stand on its own. I imagine it does break in with wear, but that's just part of the patina that makes this bag better with age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somatoform View Post
That's a fantastic strap, but much too thick to be a current Filson. Wonder if that's what Filson used when he bought it or if it's his own customization.
I was thinking the same thing - that strap does look wider than those on filsons I've seen online.
post #22 of 4136
Is there a good Filson laptop bag capable of comfortably fitting a 17" MacBook Pro? The computer is pretty awesome, but enormous. And most Filson laptop bags I've seen max out around 16-16.5".

Any help would be appreciated.
post #23 of 4136
Thread Starter 
wow well with that awesome lapzilla you'll have a problem with most bags right? lol ok whats the diagonal measurement of the the lapzilla so i can compare it to the macbook with a thick sleeve on it. also what is the measurement of the macbook with sleeve also to see if it can maybe fit into the 257. maybe it will fit into the middle of the main compartment. but even if it does it wouldn't be the most elegant of solutions where you won't be able to pack as much other stuff into the bag as well. edit: i found the measurements of the 17" (15.4-by-10.4-by-1.0 inches ). Sorry I don't think it will fit. I just measured the inside of the 257 and its hard to even to measure 15inches with a measuring tape. but there are pics of the 15" (1 x 14.1 x 9.6 inches) macbook fitting fine in the 1st page of this thread. And by the looks of the 15in barely fits as is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard View Post
Is there a good Filson laptop bag capable of comfortably fitting a 17" MacBook Pro? The computer is pretty awesome, but enormous. And most Filson laptop bags I've seen max out around 16-16.5". Any help would be appreciated.
post #24 of 4136
The regular Filson briefcases should fit it fine, as they are 16-16.5" in width, whereas the MacBook Pro should be 17" diagonally and likely closer to 15-15.5" in width
post #25 of 4136
It's about 15.5" on its own, but probably somewhere around 16" with a padded sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post
i found the measurements of the 17" (15.4-by-10.4-by-1.0 inches ). Sorry I don't think it will fit. I just measured the inside of the 257 and its hard to even to measure 15inches with a measuring tape. but there are pics of the 15" (1 x 14.1 x 9.6 inches) macbook fitting fine in the 1st page of this thread. And by the looks of the 15in barely fits as is.

Yeah, that's what I figured would probably be the case. Oh well. Thanks for checking, though. F'ing computer is enormous, I realize.

Anyone own a 258 they can measure or comment on?
post #26 of 4136
Thread Starter 
from another thread. the long awaited (and expensive/exclusive) apolis 256: the brown leather on black canvas looks nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5 View Post
One awesome bag. Definitely a lot darker (almost black) than some of the factory tour shots you may have seen. Sorry, I have very poor photography skills (it doesn't help that the subject of the photo itself is so dark either), but here's a quick preview: The plate has the issue number: X/200. Nice simple touch - Apolis Activism pencils tucked on the inside: -- Edit 8/27/2009 - Some better (and more) images: (15" Apple MBP in case anyone is wondering about fit)
post #27 of 4136
could someone post up more pictures of the brown bag? i can't tell what color it actually is... does it look like a chocolate brown? idk why fking filson won't release a bag in grey because that would be perfect.
post #28 of 4136
Love that brown one. Where do you guys shop for them other than Crane's?
post #29 of 4136
What are my options for similar canvas bags if I can't afford Filson? They cost more than many leather bags.
post #30 of 4136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFEND002 View Post
I really don't understand why these are so well liked. I mean its just a canvas bag, and for that matter, one I would not be seen carrying while in a suit on the way to work. It may be good afield but otherwise not that impressive really.

I tend to agree. Filson's great, and these bags are pretty nice. But, they strike me as the sort of bag carried by a student or creative type--not a banker or executive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures