or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 100

post #1486 of 4151
Email that exact paragraph to customer service and put on at the top ATTN: SUPERVISOR or ATTN: HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICE
post #1487 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Email that exact paragraph to customer service and put on at the top ATTN: SUPERVISOR or ATTN: HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICE

I did that earlier as well as gave them a call and magically the bag has just been repaired and is being mailed out today which leads me to believe that its just been sitting there for the last month and it would have continued to sit there if I hadn't contacted them and gotten upset. It still doesn't change the fact that I have been without a bag for over a month and continue to go without it until whenever it actually arrives because of shoddy workmanship on their end.
post #1488 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by raneym305 View Post

Don't get me wrong, Filson makes a damn good duffle. I've purchased a small and a large; but the small is now used as a gym bag and the large was commandeered by my little brother. I just find the lack of additional compartments and/or interior straps hindering when using the duffles for a multi-activity trip (i.e. separating shoes, wet clothes, dress shirts). When traveling, I often need a nicer outfit for going out on the town or taking out a client, as well as an outfit I can work out or hike in. Even for an overnight trip, I find the Sportsman a much more practical bag than a small duffle. My wife also has a tendency to put her dirty clothes in my bag's when traveling together.
But that's just my two cents. If you just need a bag to throw your stuff in and have the opportunity/time to iron and/or wash your clothes that should be kept nice, go for the duffle. It's less expensive the other Filson bags with comparable size and will last you a lifetime!

 

Pretty much my feeling too. Another factor to me is accessibility in a duffel sucks unless it is a U shape opening like the sportsman (which I love) or clamshell like the Pullman which I also own and like. If your trying to live out of a duffel or multiple duffel's in a tent it is a lot more work than it needs to be. Or even in a farm house in SD pheasant hunting they are a pain. If you can take everything out and store it when you get to your destination like in a lodge then a duffel isn't so bad. Never understood how come no matter what it is that I need in a duffel bag it is always on the bottom....

post #1489 of 4151

Any people who have visited the factory in Seattle tell me about what it's like? The stitching is coming undone on the side of the 257 around the large ring that you attach the shoulder strap to. I'll be in Seattle next week and would love to get this fixed while I'm there so I don't have to pay to ship it from my home in Canada, and wait for such a simple job.

 

I doubt this would be possible but hey, you never know. Anyone have any experience with something like this?
 

post #1490 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcherney View Post

Any people who have visited the factory in Seattle tell me about what it's like? The stitching is coming undone on the side of the 257 around the large ring that you attach the shoulder strap to. I'll be in Seattle next week and would love to get this fixed while I'm there so I don't have to pay to ship it from my home in Canada, and wait for such a simple job.

I doubt this would be possible but hey, you never know. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

 

#1. An adult in the Filson store is like a 5 year old in Lego Land.

#2. I brought a pair of Sebago X Filson boots in there last week because some of the stitching was coming out of the back. I wasn't asked for a receipt or any proof of purchase (the boots were about 2 years old, so I didn't have any of that stuff anymore). They told me it was easier just to replace them rather than repair them. We scoured the store for a pair in my size. They were were even willing to give me a more expensive pair of boots, but we just could 't find anything in my size that I liked as much as the boots I was returning. Hilda took down my information and within a week I had a brand new pair of boots at my door step. No charge for shipping either.

I can only assume you'll have a similar experience. It generally is more cost effective for them to replace an item and send the damaged one up to their factory store in Burlington where they only sell seconds and vintage gear.
post #1491 of 4151

If you don't like the lack of compartments in the duffle bag, you can consider packing like a backpacker.

 

I have one large pack when I'm out hiking.  You use more smaller bags as modules so you don't need to dig thorugh everything to find your can of tuna.

Sub-bags:

 

1.) Food and used food refuse in a ziplock bag

2.) Toiletries (if I bring any)

3.) Warm weather clothes

4.) Cold weather clothes

5.) Used underwear/socks

6.) Tent poles

7.) Tent

8.) Sleeping bag

 

 

Knowing the way the sub bags are stacked allows you to pull out one bag at a time without digging through everything and making a mess.  You could do the same with the duffle:

1.) clean dress clothes

2.) undergarments

3.) recreational clothes

4.) dirty clothes

5.) toiletries

post #1492 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post

If you don't like the lack of compartments in the duffle bag, you can consider packing like a backpacker.

I have one large pack when I'm out hiking.  You use more smaller bags as modules so you don't need to dig thorugh everything to find your can of tuna.
Sub-bags:

1.) Food and used food refuse in a ziplock bag
2.) Toiletries (if I bring any)
3.) Warm weather clothes
4.) Cold weather clothes
5.) Used underwear/socks
6.) Tent poles
7.) Tent
8.) Sleeping bag


Knowing the way the sub bags are stacked allows you to pull out one bag at a time without digging through everything and making a mess.  You could do the same with the duffle:
1.) clean dress clothes
2.) undergarments
3.) recreational clothes
4.) dirty clothes
5.) toiletries

Valid point. I do quite a bit of hiking up here in the Cascades and the Olympics, and while sub-packing isn't difficult at all, I just find it tedious.

To each his own. Like I said, Filson makes a damn good duffle. I just prefer my Sportsman over my Small Duffle and my Large Carry On over my Large Duffle. I prefer the versatility over simplicity when packing for a trip.

Simplicity does have it's benefits though. I'm in love with my 256, even after using a 258 for a few days... Again, to each his own.
Edited by raneym305 - 7/15/12 at 2:05pm
post #1493 of 4151
thought I upload some pics for 1 year of everyday use of my Filson 257
the dark ink on the back is result of my rrl raw slim fit...
465
465
264
post #1494 of 4151
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
post #1495 of 4151
Hey tv2177,

I have light denim transfer stains on my 256 from my jeans as well. Have you tried to get rid of the stains? I am trying to live with them, but I'm concerned the indigo stains on my 256 will rub off on lighter colored pants.
post #1496 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dials View Post

Hey tv2177,
I have light denim transfer stains on my 256 from my jeans as well. Have you tried to get rid of the stains? I am trying to live with them, but I'm concerned the indigo stains on my 256 will rub off on lighter colored pants.

i just live with them. never tried to get rid of the stains.
post #1497 of 4151
miss my 256. regret selling it ffffuuuu.gif
post #1498 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcherney View Post

Any people who have visited the factory in Seattle tell me about what it's like? The stitching is coming undone on the side of the 257 around the large ring that you attach the shoulder strap to. I'll be in Seattle next week and would love to get this fixed while I'm there so I don't have to pay to ship it from my home in Canada, and wait for such a simple job.

I doubt this would be possible but hey, you never know. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

 

Having been to the Seattle store/factory several times, I don't think it is really the type of place you can just take something for an on-the-spot immediate repair, but I may be wrong.The Seattle Filson is essentially a flagship store attached to the factory. There aren't really a lot of items/people going back and forth between the two, it is more just a store with a large window looking into the factory. The factory part sometimes has a lot of people working in it and other times is almost completely empty. That being said, I would think you could drop the bag off for a repair and have them ship it back to you, but I am not sure if they can do a quick one-off job. Honestly, your best bet is to call and just figure out what the deal is...the people in the Seattle store are incredibly nice and helpful, I am sure they can give you a good answer as to what your options are.
post #1499 of 4151
...
Edited by abeezy21 - 7/16/12 at 9:03pm
post #1500 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyzealot View Post


Having been to the Seattle store/factory several times, I don't think it is really the type of place you can just take something for an on-the-spot immediate repair, but I may be wrong.The Seattle Filson is essentially a flagship store attached to the factory. There aren't really a lot of items/people going back and forth between the two, it is more just a store with a large window looking into the factory. The factory part sometimes has a lot of people working in it and other times is almost completely empty. That being said, I would think you could drop the bag off for a repair and have them ship it back to you, but I am not sure if they can do a quick one-off job. Honestly, your best bet is to call and just figure out what the deal is...the people in the Seattle store are incredibly nice and helpful, I am sure they can give you a good answer as to what your options are.


Thanks for the advice. I'll do that before I arrive this weekend.

 

I usually don't keep my 257 very full, but with school picking up the intensity, I had a lot of stuff with me today. Here's today's carry for people still unsure about what size they should get:

 

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

 

-13" Macbook Pro in sleeve (plus charger)

-Large hardcover accounting textbook

-Medium softcover english textbook

-Coil Notebook

-Two paperback novels

-Water

-Sunscreen

-Bike repair tools (Extra tube, pump, tire levers, allenkey set, screwdriver, bike light)

-Pens/pencils/eraser

-Calculator

-Sunglasses

-Snack

 

I could probably squeeze in one more notebook and other small odds and ends, but it's pretty full. It was an exceptionally heavy load to carry on my bike, should have switched to my larger backpack. Anyway, hope that post helps anyone who's still not sure about whether to get a 256 or 257.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures