or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 88

post #1306 of 4379

I noticed at the Filson outlet in Burlington all the garments and bags were X'ed out and I know barbour's outlets do the same.  Im not sure exactly how it works but  they must not meet the same QC standards.  I don't care though I bought a Levis X filson Jacet for $100 and I can't find anything wrong with it. 

post #1307 of 4379

"Second" is any item that Filson has had to handle a "Second" time. Whether it was purchased in the store and then needed a repair or was purchased online and was not the right size. If it's been brought or sent back to Filson for any reason, it is considered a "Second".

 

The Sales Rep at the Filson outlet was able to give me a specific example. A relative purchased a briefcase for me as a late wedding present and gave it to me when they came to town last month. It was brand new and still had tags on it, there was just no receipt. Already owning a briefcase, I exchanged my new one for a duffle. The briefcase I exchanged was sent up to the Burlington store.

 

I also purchased a 40 year old Double Logger coat that was considered a "Second". This coat has 2 or 3 holes in the cuffs and definitely has some patina; but it's still tough as nails and was cheap. It was given to Filson to repair the holes, and Filson deemed it not worth fixing.

 

So, the condition of "Second" item varies. It can either be a brand new bag, or a vintage coat.

post #1308 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

How do bags get the X'd out tag? Are they seconds, returns, something else? I see so many used bags on ebay with the x'd out tag. I actually bought a well worn 257 with x'd tag and filson would not repair/replace a zipper (even at my expense). They did however, mail me a zipper for free after my repair request so that I could get it repaired locally. I was very pleased but am just curious how these bags end up on the 2ndary market.

Any item with X on tag means Filson will not touch it essentially, nice to hear they sent you a zipper though
post #1309 of 4379
photo-33.jpg

Just picked up the Rucksack and the Small carry-on #240 to go with my #222 medium duffle ... I think I satisfied my Filson addiction
post #1310 of 4379
Still need to find a 256/257. Still not sure which one to go with. Some say the 256, some say the 257.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-DUFFLE-DUFFEL-BAG-SMALL-TAN-LEATHER-TRIM-NWOT-/160810477595?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item25710d281b

Filson Duffle Small 220 Tan - BIN $190 fs

Canada shipping $22. Seems to be a first (not X'ed) brand new condition. High rating seller
post #1311 of 4379

Go with the 257, its a perfect bag.  I can't stand the  hand handles on the 256 flopping around when I'm walking they bunch up between you and the bag when its on your shoulder, its irritating.  Also the key chain lock in the front pocket is so useful(not sure of the 256 has this)  I always lock my keys to it as soon as i leave my house. I've got the tan, easily the best looking colour.  I wear dark denim though and my jeans rub off into the tan and I have no solution for this other than to rinse it off with water and a cloth.  

post #1312 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamT123 View Post

Go with the 257, its a perfect bag.  I can't stand the  hand handles on the 256 flopping around when I'm walking they bunch up between you and the bag when its on your shoulder, its irritating.  Also the key chain lock in the front pocket is so useful(not sure of the 256 has this)  I always lock my keys to it as soon as i leave my house. I've got the tan, easily the best looking colour.  I wear dark denim though and my jeans rub off into the tan and I have no solution for this other than to rinse it off with water and a cloth.  

The 256 does have the key chain lock. The 257 would be too big for my uses, so to each his own.
post #1313 of 4379
I find the handles on the 256 a little annoying as well, but I just tuck the one closest to my body into the side pocket and voila!
post #1314 of 4379
I posted a photo a page back of what I've carried before.
http://tinypic.com/r/msi3jl/6 + 13" MBP + 1-2 textbooks (maybe) + mischelly items

I like the rigidly of the 256 but not sure if it'll offer me enough space.
post #1315 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

I find the handles on the 256 a little annoying as well, but I just tuck the one closest to my body into the side pocket and voila!

Filson will put a handle on the 256 like that on the 257 and 258. I'm getting this done next week. It's $10 for the extra leather and buttons and $10 for the labor. Unfortunately, you'll have to part ways with your bag for about a week, but I'd say it's worth it. I've got an old 258 that's been lying around that I've been meaning to put up on ebay that I'll use in the meantime.

Putting my stuff into my 258 again, reminded me just how tough-as-balls it is, and how great a briefcase it is for traveling; but it's also reminded me how big and bulky it is! I used it while I was a project manager for a construction company. Great for lugging around the job site! But now that I've moved into the sales consulting side of business and I've got my bag on my shoulder all day, I'm so So SO thankful that I use a 256!
post #1316 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by raneym305 View Post

Filson will put a handle on the 256 like that on the 257 and 258. I'm getting this done next week. It's $10 for the extra leather and buttons and $10 for the labor. Unfortunately, you'll have to part ways with your bag for about a week, but I'd say it's worth it. I've got an old 258 that's been lying around that I've been meaning to put up on ebay that I'll use in the meantime.
Putting my stuff into my 258 again, reminded me just how tough-as-balls it is, and how great a briefcase it is for traveling; but it's also reminded me how big and bulky it is! I used it while I was a project manager for a construction company. Great for lugging around the job site! But now that I've moved into the sales consulting side of business and I've got my bag on my shoulder all day, I'm so So SO thankful that I use a 256!

I have a handgrip on my 256, so don't experience the issue that the other posters are suffering from.
post #1317 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneym305 View Post

Filson will put a handle on the 256 like that on the 257 and 258. I'm getting this done next week. It's $10 for the extra leather and buttons and $10 for the labor. Unfortunately, you'll have to part ways with your bag for about a week, but I'd say it's worth it. I've got an old 258 that's been lying around that I've been meaning to put up on ebay that I'll use in the meantime.
Putting my stuff into my 258 again, reminded me just how tough-as-balls it is, and how great a briefcase it is for traveling; but it's also reminded me how big and bulky it is! I used it while I was a project manager for a construction company. Great for lugging around the job site! But now that I've moved into the sales consulting side of business and I've got my bag on my shoulder all day, I'm so So SO thankful that I use a 256!

I have a handgrip on my 256, so don't experience the issue that the other posters are suffering from.

Do they remove the straps when they install the handgrip?
post #1318 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Do they remove the straps when they install the handgrip?

No. It's a simple job that any leather guy can do. We have some of the grips at the store since it can be difficult to get a 256 with the grip installed.
post #1319 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post


No. It's a simple job that any leather guy can do. We have some of the grips at the store since it can be difficult to get a 256 with the grip installed.

can i get a handgrip from you guys? don't see it on the site but would love to pick one up for my 256

post #1320 of 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonsh View Post

can i get a handgrip from you guys? don't see it on the site but would love to pick one up for my 256

Sure can, call the store on Monday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures