or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 80

post #1186 of 4406
Isn't there any shop that is selling Filson 256 briefcase Tan color on sale?
post #1187 of 4406
Has anyone rewaxed their twill canvas bags recently? What did you use? I tested a small area with a can of Barbour wax and it darkened the canvas significantly, made it look like tin-cloth.
post #1188 of 4406
i am really considering getting a small or medium duffle but i hate straight zippers on duffle bags. I find U shaped zippers to be much easier to use.

Anyone else have issues when getting things in and out of the bag?
post #1189 of 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanvt View Post

i am really considering getting a small or medium duffle but i hate straight zippers on duffle bags. I find U shaped zippers to be much easier to use.
Anyone else have issues when getting things in and out of the bag?

No. I have the small duffle and love it. Perfect weekend bag.
post #1190 of 4406
crackup[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Has anyone washed their Filson before? I find the medium duffle a touch too large and was wondering what would happen if I submerged it in hot water, tumble dry it, then reapply the paraffin finish. Would the bag shrink enough to make a noticeable difference?
259
crackup[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

There is some really bad advice going on here that could void the warranty.
Truer words were never spoken
post #1191 of 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanvt View Post

i am really considering getting a small or medium duffle but i hate straight zippers on duffle bags. I find U shaped zippers to be much easier to use.
Anyone else have issues when getting things in and out of the bag?

In my opinion, since you already have feelings toward the zippers, you might find some annoyance with the bag. I know I do but its not like its impossible to get stuff in and out.
post #1192 of 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Has anyone rewaxed their twill canvas bags recently? What did you use? I tested a small area with a can of Barbour wax and it darkened the canvas significantly, made it look like tin-cloth.

I used the the Filson Tin Cloth wax to wax the corners of my bag as was suggested by the associate in the store. He said it should help the bag hold up longer, since the corners take most of the beating. They definitely look darker and have attracted more dirt than the rest of the bag.

He said that if I wanted to wax the whole bag, make sure I wax it with the grain of the fabric, and run a heat gun (a blow dryer won't get hot enough) over the bag to make sure the wax settles evenly. He also warned that the bag will be significantly darker, it will attract more dirt, and the wax will wear off on your clothes as it will take quite a bit of time to settle.


Here's a picture of my bag after waxing the corners.

197
post #1193 of 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by raneym305 View Post

**I uploaded the wrong picture earlier today
263



factoria?? weird
post #1194 of 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by raneym305 View Post

I used the the Filson Tin Cloth wax to wax the corners of my bag as was suggested by the associate in the store. He said it should help the bag hold up longer, since the corners take most of the beating. They definitely look darker and have attracted more dirt than the rest of the bag.
He said that if I wanted to wax the whole bag, make sure I wax it with the grain of the fabric, and run a heat gun (a blow dryer won't get hot enough) over the bag to make sure the wax settles evenly. He also warned that the bag will be significantly darker, it will attract more dirt, and the wax will wear off on your clothes as it will take quite a bit of time to settle.
Here's a picture of my bag after waxing the corners.
197

damn, all this trouble over a cheap looking, but decently designed, canvas bag? just drop the filson and get a leather bag instead, it is more durable, and it doesn't look cheap like canvas does, and when leather get a patina it looks nice, when canvas gets a patina you know it is dirt stains smudged with moldy wax that makes your bag looks like it needs to be washed.
post #1195 of 4406
233 233 233

The duffle shrank around 10%. Not as much as I hoped for and it's still a little large for carry-on but I think I could easily get away with it. The duffle looks even better after a wash, looks as if I've been using it for a few months at least. Interestingly, the bag did not change color at all, not even the slightest, which leads me to believe, exactly how much wax is impregnated into the twill canvas, if at all? I coated the underside of the flap with a little wax and the whole thing changed color. So what exactly did Filson put into their canvas?

As you can see, the handles aren't attached to my bag. I've cut them off to shorten them. I'll reattach them once I buy some rivets.
Edited by benjamin831 - 4/19/12 at 4:06pm
post #1196 of 4406
Looks good!
post #1197 of 4406

Someone on the Acela slammed my strap repeatedly when closing the overhead bin baldy[1].gif. Any tips? Anyone suggest a good polish? 

 

2012-04-19 19.19.46.jpg

post #1198 of 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post

Someone on the Acela slammed my strap repeatedly when closing the overhead bin baldy%5B1%5D.gif. Any tips? Anyone suggest a good polish? 

350x201px-LL-d91ad06b_2012-04-1919.19.46.jpeg

I'd say leave it as is. Adds character. These bags look better once they are broken in, IMHO. I actually wish the leather straps and handles on my 257 look more beat up than they do. Had the bag for a few months and it still looks brand new despite everyday use.
post #1199 of 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

damn, all this trouble over a cheap looking, but decently designed, canvas bag? just drop the filson and get a leather bag instead, it is more durable, and it doesn't look cheap like canvas does, and when leather get a patina it looks nice, when canvas gets a patina you know it is dirt stains smudged with moldy wax that makes your bag looks like it needs to be washed.

The colour change AKA patina AKA dirt AKA wabi-sabi with tan is one of the reasons I prefer the green bags. They should age a bit better showing less dirt AKA character AKA ....
post #1200 of 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post

Someone on the Acela slammed my strap repeatedly when closing the overhead bin baldy%5B1%5D.gif. Any tips? Anyone suggest a good polish? 

350x201px-LL-d91ad06b_2012-04-1919.19.46.jpeg

Tough break. Sad to say, but anything that goes in the overheads is usually going to get a battering at some point.

Maybe some Obenaufs LP if you have some as that may darken the leather down a bit ??

There are going to be leather dyes that could be used. I'd use a lighter shade and build up in many applications to try to match the rest of the strap. Never done such things myself as always scared the dye or polish rubs off onto clothing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures