or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 79

post #1171 of 4203
**I uploaded the wrong picture earlier today

This post is in response to the question regarding the size of the Original Briefcase for daily use.

I work in sales and need to make sure that I'm always prepared while in the field. In my bag right now I have:

A 15" laptop
BlackBerry Playbook tablet
BlackBerry Bold phone
An iPod
A 1"-thick catalog from one of my vendors
My field Journal (5"x8" notepad to jot notes down throughout the day)
My 10"x13" portfolio
A deck of cards
Carmex
Wallet
Keys
A stack of post-it notes
3 pens, a sharpie, a hi-liter
Some cologne
A can of almonds
Laptop charger
Phone charger
And probably some other junk that I'm not aware of.

I walk around downtown Seattle every day with this bag and, although it's not as large as their laptop bag or padded computer bag, I'm not at a lack for space. It fits everything I need and it's not large enough to be a hindrance or uncomfortable to tote around.

I also travel alot and this, along with a small Filson duffle, will be sufficient for a full week on the road

I've included a picture of said bag containing all of the items listed above.263

And a picture of how UNbulky it is once packed up.263
Edited by raneym305 - 4/17/12 at 10:02pm
post #1172 of 4203
** See post #1174
Edited by raneym305 - 4/17/12 at 10:57pm
post #1173 of 4203
Has anyone washed their Filson before? I find the medium duffle a touch too large and was wondering what would happen if I submerged it in hot water, tumble dry it, then reapply the paraffin finish. Would the bag shrink enough to make a noticeable difference?
post #1174 of 4203



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post

I need a Filson medium duffel in tan now to accompany my new briefcase for an epic weekender package.
Just waiting for the next sale...



I picked up a small Tin Cloth duflel at the flagship store for $99 a couple of weeks ago and I love it! I've hauled it in a rain storm in the back of truck, dropped it in the mud, and (for a brief moment) dipped half of it in the lake... it slipped out of my hands, but I caught it before the whole bag was submerged. All the while, my clothes have stayed completely dry and the bag was dried off in no time.

 

I put a fresh coat of wax on it the day I bought it. The sales rep at the store said it wasn't needed, bnut I can 't think that it hurt the bag any.

 

For the hell I've put this bag through in less than a month, it was well worth the $99 spent!!!'

 

Packed with my Original Briefcase for a 5 day trip to Portland, OR.

Trunk.jpg

 

post #1175 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Has anyone washed their Filson before? I find the medium duffle a touch too large and was wondering what would happen if I submerged it in hot water, tumble dry it, then reapply the paraffin finish. Would the bag shrink enough to make a noticeable difference?

It's a duffle you could just collapse it to fit your size
post #1176 of 4203
467
post #1177 of 4203

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Has anyone washed their Filson before? I find the medium duffle a touch too large and was wondering what would happen if I submerged it in hot water, tumble dry it, then reapply the paraffin finish. Would the bag shrink enough to make a noticeable difference?


I doubt you will shrink it a full size, or much at all. Although I gave up on Filson shirts a long time ago because the sleeves shrink past the wrist just by drying with the heat of a wood stove in a tent during winter.

 

Washing even with hot water will not get the finish totally off. A trick I used to do before Filson offered dry finish was to dry clean the garment. That way it can breathe and you don't sweat so much, trade off is loss of waterproofing. And it is still dense enough material to bust through brush and thorns. But I think in the end you would be best selling off your current duffel and purchasing a small.

 

post #1178 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Quote:


I doubt you will shrink it a full size, or much at all. Although I gave up on Filson shirts a long time ago because the sleeves shrink past the wrist just by drying with the heat of a wood stove in a tent during winter.

Washing even with hot water will not get the finish totally off. A trick I used to do before Filson offered dry finish was to dry clean the garment. That way it can breathe and you don't sweat so much, trade off is loss of waterproofing. And it is still dense enough material to bust through brush and thorns. But I think in the end you would be best selling off your current duffel and purchasing a small.

I'm confused if you are talking about a jacket or a bag..... or if your advice is for his bag and your experience with Filson apparel made of the same material as his bag.
post #1179 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman View Post

467

Small duffle?
post #1180 of 4203

Yes, looks like a small to me. I have almost the same setup: green original briefcase and small duffle. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


Small duffle?


 

post #1181 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

I'm confused if you are talking about a jacket or a bag..... or if your advice is for his bag and your experience with Filson apparel made of the same material as his bag.


Bag. And experience with tin cloth and double tin, cover and shelter cloth pants, jackets, shirts, etc. Doubt that bag will shrink in volume much and I'd be concerned it wouldn't be evenly done if it did by using hot water and a hot dryer. Even if the finish was removed first with the chemicals from dry cleaning. Then there is the bridle leather going through all of that, ouch.

 

Off track but the one Filson article I have now that is different is the oil finish black weekender jacket. It is a lint magnet unlike anything else I've owned and the fabric is slightly different from the other classic materials despite being cover cloth. But I've really come to like it.

 

post #1182 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Quote:


I doubt you will shrink it a full size, or much at all. Although I gave up on Filson shirts a long time ago because the sleeves shrink past the wrist just by drying with the heat of a wood stove in a tent during winter.

Washing even with hot water will not get the finish totally off. A trick I used to do before Filson offered dry finish was to dry clean the garment. That way it can breathe and you don't sweat so much, trade off is loss of waterproofing. And it is still dense enough material to bust through brush and thorns. But I think in the end you would be best selling off your current duffel and purchasing a small.

Interesting. What is the reason for your assessment? Especially since your Filson garment shrunk beyond wearable. I think the small size duffle is much too small, at 18", its more like a oversized handbag than a duffle. I'm hoping to get it down by 10-20% shrinkage.
post #1183 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin831 View Post

Interesting. What is the reason for your assessment? Especially since your Filson garment shrunk beyond wearable. I think the small size duffle is much too small, at 18", its more like a oversized handbag than a duffle. I'm hoping to get it down by 10-20% shrinkage.


Not unwearable, it is only the shirt sleeves that shrink, not the body or shoulders which is annoying on cover and shelter cloth shirts. Although going through multi-floral rose thorns with wrists exposed carrying a shotgun is enough to make you not want to ever wear them again. I've never had much luck trying to shrink any clothing down to fit with heat but with a duffle you might pull it off. Just reread your OP and you said a touch, that you might do. Post up how it works out. I would think it may pucker in places because it could be uneven shrinkage but being a duffle that shouldn't be a big deal.

 

post #1184 of 4203
There is some really bad advice going on here that could void the warranty.
post #1185 of 4203

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

There is some really bad advice going on here that could void the warranty.

I second this! Filson is incredible about returns. I've returned 2 items after a months of owning them simply because they ended up not being as functional as I thought they would be. They guys at the flagship store have never bat an eye at making the return.

 

My suggestion is to just return your bag and get the one you want.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures