• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Permanent Style Vs A Suitable Wardrobe?

DandySF

Reaction score
I've been reading ASW since it started. I appreciate the detailed information, range of topics, and positive
tone. Can't say I've ever heard of PS.

Doxe

Reaction score
I like to check in with both sites. I think both blogs reflect the age and perspective of their respective authors. The nice thing about Simon Crompton's blog at Permanent Style is that he is still in the process of building a base wardrobe; whereas Will from A Suitable Wardrobe already has an established wardrobe and appears to be adding specific elements. For example, Will's recent experiment in a detachable wing collar.

IMHO, the best element of each blog is the description of the bespoke tailoring process. For someone who is looking at building a bespoke wardrobe the information on the blogs is useful about what one can expect out of the process.

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Personally, I prefer ASW.
laugh.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
I've been reading ASW since it started. I appreciate the detailed information, range of topics, and positive

Ditto here. I had hitherto been oblivious to PS. The latter seems to be somewhat prolix in comparison to ASW, so ASW would get the nod if only on the grounds of being considerably more succinct.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
I read PS through Men's flair and enjoy both blogs, and many more

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Personally, I prefer ASW.

I just checked ASW and Will has a posting up about a casual shirt that has hidden button-down collar! I've never seen anything like that.

I think that's the great value that ASW provides. It's part history, part style, and always educating. I picked up a Safari jacket this summer afte seeing Will wearing one in Hawaii in a posting from ASW. Now I've got some new shirts to look for.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I never heard of permanent style till now, but I have bookmarked it. Seems to be quite interesting...

I really enjoy reading ASW and do it on a daily basis since a year or so. Still, sometimes it seems to me that the articles stay too much on the surface, without going deep enough. Surely, this might be in the nature of a blog.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF

Same here.

manofstyle

Reaction score
I like ASW a lot, as a young guy in his 20s, much of that style is still for me to "grow in to". But I recall for example, hearing about Lawrence & Foster at ASW, and they made me a couple of fantastic caps. I'll probably also have some bespoke gloves made, following an ASW I read a while back.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read ASW religiously. Ever since the first day I read it I have been hooked. Really interesting AND insightful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads