• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to go for first anniversary dinner in NYC?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We're celebrating our first wedding anniversary next month. I know, I know--I should have started planning earlier. Anyway, we're looking for restaurants in NYC. The problem is that our anniversary is on a Sunday, so a lot of French restaurants appear to be closed (including Jean George and Le Bernadin).

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is available. Good pick? Something else? We are on the wait list for Per Se.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
We're celebrating our first wedding anniversary next month. I know, I know--I should have started planning earlier. Anyway, we're looking for restaurants in NYC. The problem is that our anniversary is on a Sunday, so a lot of French restaurants appear to be closed (including Jean George and Le Bernadin).

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is available. Good pick? Something else? We are on the wait list for Per Se.

Honestly for something romantic I would have said Grammercy Tavern. I love Bernardin but it's not particularly warm or intimate. Definitely not Per Se...

Robuchon's quality in New York can be spotty but I mean it's great. A good idea, but yea, your options are going to be quite limited. I'd also say La Cirque, which is really cool.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Babbo, assuming you have 30 days until the date.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
you shouldn't have a problem with Babbo (if that is what you choose). I was able to get a table for 2 on a Sunday calling only 3 days ahead.

hws

Reaction score
La Pizza Fresca
inlove.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cafe Carlyle. [/threak]

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go on Saturday. You don't need to have dinner exactly on your anniversary.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

yea actually

+1

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Honestly for something romantic I would have said Grammercy Tavern. I love Bernardin but it's not particularly warm or intimate. Definitely not Per Se...

Robuchon's quality in New York can be spotty but I mean it's great. A good idea, but yea, your options are going to be quite limited. I'd also say La Cirque, which is really cool.

Hmm. La Cirque over Robuchon? I'll look into it. I think Gramercy Tavern is booked.

Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
Babbo, assuming you have 30 days until the date.

Originally Posted by gomestar
you shouldn't have a problem with Babbo (if that is what you choose). I was able to get a table for 2 on a Sunday calling only 3 days ahead.

We don't want to do Italian. Too heavy, and we often eat Italian for less fancy dinners.

Originally Posted by hws
La Pizza Fresca
inlove.gif

Well, on the other hand, it would be nice to save money and we do like pizza . . .

Originally Posted by RJman
Cafe Carlyle. [/threak]

Followed by dancing in the Rubinacci Ballroom.

I don't know if she'll dig that. Anyway, I'd still feel compelled to do something on our actual anniversary, which means two dinners. But assuming Saturday works, what would you recommend? Is the NYC Robuchon not so hot?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. La Cirque over Robuchon? I'll look into it. I think Gramercy Tavern is booked.

We don't want to do Italian. Too heavy, and we often eat Italian for less fancy dinners.

Robuchon will have really great food, the other does too but it's a great atmosphere.

As for your second point... you don't want to do italian because it's "heavy", but you're interested to going to two bastions of classic french cooking? Are you serious?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if she'll dig that. Anyway, I'd still feel compelled to do something on our actual anniversary, which means two dinners. But assuming Saturday works, what would you recommend? Is the NYC Robuchon not so hot?

I've never been. The followups are so far behind the original that they always leave me disappointed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Robuchon will have really great food, the other does too but it's a great atmosphere.

As for your second point... you don't want to do italian because it's "heavy", but you're interested to going to two bastions of classic french cooking? Are you serious?

An Italian meal always includes pasta--for us, anyway. A long multi-course French dinner doesn't feel nearly as painful at the end. That's our personal experience, at least.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never been. The followups are so far behind the original that they always leave me disappointed.

That's not good to hear. Hmm . . .

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An Italian meal always includes pasta--for us, anyway. A long multi-course French dinner doesn't feel nearly as painful at the end. That's our personal experience, at least.
The amount of pasta you'd be eating at any decent italian place would be very little, and you aren't liable to eat any less starch at a french restaurant, or any less cream and fat. In fact you're probably going to eat even more. Italian cooking is at least a little lighter on average than in any season of most any French style cuisine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads