or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Where to go for first anniversary dinner in NYC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to go for first anniversary dinner in NYC?

post #1 of 92
Thread Starter 
We're celebrating our first wedding anniversary next month. I know, I know--I should have started planning earlier. Anyway, we're looking for restaurants in NYC. The problem is that our anniversary is on a Sunday, so a lot of French restaurants appear to be closed (including Jean George and Le Bernadin).

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is available. Good pick? Something else? We are on the wait list for Per Se.
post #2 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
We're celebrating our first wedding anniversary next month. I know, I know--I should have started planning earlier. Anyway, we're looking for restaurants in NYC. The problem is that our anniversary is on a Sunday, so a lot of French restaurants appear to be closed (including Jean George and Le Bernadin).

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is available. Good pick? Something else? We are on the wait list for Per Se.

Honestly for something romantic I would have said Grammercy Tavern. I love Bernardin but it's not particularly warm or intimate. Definitely not Per Se...

Robuchon's quality in New York can be spotty but I mean it's great. A good idea, but yea, your options are going to be quite limited. I'd also say La Cirque, which is really cool.
post #3 of 92
Babbo, assuming you have 30 days until the date.
post #4 of 92
you shouldn't have a problem with Babbo (if that is what you choose). I was able to get a table for 2 on a Sunday calling only 3 days ahead.
post #5 of 92
La Pizza Fresca
post #6 of 92
Cafe Carlyle. [/threak]
post #7 of 92
Go on Saturday. You don't need to have dinner exactly on your anniversary.
post #8 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Go on Saturday. You don't need to have dinner exactly on your anniversary.

yea actually

+1
post #9 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Honestly for something romantic I would have said Grammercy Tavern. I love Bernardin but it's not particularly warm or intimate. Definitely not Per Se...

Robuchon's quality in New York can be spotty but I mean it's great. A good idea, but yea, your options are going to be quite limited. I'd also say La Cirque, which is really cool.

Hmm. La Cirque over Robuchon? I'll look into it. I think Gramercy Tavern is booked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff View Post
Babbo, assuming you have 30 days until the date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
you shouldn't have a problem with Babbo (if that is what you choose). I was able to get a table for 2 on a Sunday calling only 3 days ahead.

We don't want to do Italian. Too heavy, and we often eat Italian for less fancy dinners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hws View Post
La Pizza Fresca

Well, on the other hand, it would be nice to save money and we do like pizza . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Cafe Carlyle. [/threak]

Followed by dancing in the Rubinacci Ballroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Go on Saturday. You don't need to have dinner exactly on your anniversary.

I don't know if she'll dig that. Anyway, I'd still feel compelled to do something on our actual anniversary, which means two dinners. But assuming Saturday works, what would you recommend? Is the NYC Robuchon not so hot?
post #10 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Hmm. La Cirque over Robuchon? I'll look into it. I think Gramercy Tavern is booked.





We don't want to do Italian. Too heavy, and we often eat Italian for less fancy dinners.


Robuchon will have really great food, the other does too but it's a great atmosphere.

As for your second point... you don't want to do italian because it's "heavy", but you're interested to going to two bastions of classic french cooking? Are you serious?
post #11 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
I don't know if she'll dig that. Anyway, I'd still feel compelled to do something on our actual anniversary, which means two dinners. But assuming Saturday works, what would you recommend? Is the NYC Robuchon not so hot?

I've never been. The followups are so far behind the original that they always leave me disappointed.
post #12 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Robuchon will have really great food, the other does too but it's a great atmosphere.

As for your second point... you don't want to do italian because it's "heavy", but you're interested to going to two bastions of classic french cooking? Are you serious?

An Italian meal always includes pasta--for us, anyway. A long multi-course French dinner doesn't feel nearly as painful at the end. That's our personal experience, at least.
post #13 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I've never been. The followups are so far behind the original that they always leave me disappointed.

That's not good to hear. Hmm . . .
post #14 of 92
Congratulations, Foo. I will be following this thread.
post #15 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
An Italian meal always includes pasta--for us, anyway. A long multi-course French dinner doesn't feel nearly as painful at the end. That's our personal experience, at least.
The amount of pasta you'd be eating at any decent italian place would be very little, and you aren't liable to eat any less starch at a french restaurant, or any less cream and fat. In fact you're probably going to eat even more. Italian cooking is at least a little lighter on average than in any season of most any French style cuisine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Where to go for first anniversary dinner in NYC?