• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Ned NYC, anyone have any recent experience?

new obsession

Reaction score
I am thinking about having something made. I read reviews on SF pre-meltdown, and was thinking about using him/them. I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with Varm. I will be having a Tux made, and while I have tried on some Italian makers I liked, most of them have notch lapels, those that don't are in a price range 3-4x what Ned quoted me over the phone. While my sartorial experience is limited I think with a few fittings we can get to a good finished product.

Any experiences, anecdotes, advice? Anything is appreciated.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the stuff secondhand. Construction is pretty good. In this context, can't speak about fit.

Shirtmaven recommends them.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm an old Ned customer. Was going there when Vram's dad was making the suits. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. His entry level fabrics, (I remember $750 for a suit) are just that. Servicable, but nothing that will rock your world. The "house cut", if you will, runs toward big shoulders and not too much waist suppression. Pants are good, but again a little on the big side. The workmanship of the suits is good, better than other higher priced MTM. The guy who marks you up at fittings does a good job. Mr. Ned will tell you that they can do anything, but you need to stay on top of them if you are looking for a slimmer more suppressed look than Brooks Brothers etc. Make sure you tell the fittings tailor exactly how you want the fit and make sure he marks it up that way. For under $1,000, especially in NYC, Mr. Ned does good work that will not let you down. I would suggest bringing your own fabric as getting the good stuf from them will take you into the 1,200-1,400 range and that is a threshold that I wouldn't feel comfortable crossing with them.

new obsession

Reaction score
you need to stay on top of them if you are looking for a slimmer more suppressed look than Brooks Brothers etc. Make sure you tell the fittings tailor exactly how you want the fit and make sure he marks it up that way
There's the rub. I am relatively new to all of this, and I am looking for something with a significant amount of waist supression. The look I want is more italian (I could not identify neopolitan or milanese on a bet), and less brooks brothers. This will be a tuxedo. Should I take the risk on this, or simply try them with something simpler?

I would suggest bringing your own fabric as getting the good stuf from them will take you into the 1,200-1,400 range and that is a threshold that I wouldn't feel comfortable crossing with them.
good suggestion, but probably out of the question given my current time constraints, and the fact that I would not know where or how to buy good fabric.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
There's the rub. I am relatively new to all of this, and I am looking for something with a significant amount of waist supression. The look I want is more italian (I could not identify neopolitan or milanese on a bet), and less brooks brothers. This will be a tuxedo. Should I take the risk on this, or simply try them with something simpler?

good suggestion, but probably out of the question given my current time constraints, and the fact that I would not know where or how to buy good fabric.

Since you are in NYC, just go over to 39th and 6th avenue for the fabric ( (know not of appropriate tuxedo fabrics, but they should). I forgot the name of the store (Beckensteins??), but you'll see it. I would try the tuxedo with Ned, just tell them exactly what you want. I love suppressed suits, but I am not sure that I would go too suppressed with a tux. Then again, you are probably going to be in for at least a grand on this, you might be better served seeing if you can catch a sale on one at a Paul Stuart/Saks or something. Sorry, I think I am as confused on what to do as you are.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Sorry, I think I am as confused on what to do as you are.

Glad someone feels my pain. The problem with SAKS at least is the same as Barneys. They carry notch lapels almost exclusively, and I am looking for peak.

I think I might go with a guy in Jersey I met with last night. Gets his suits directly from an Italian manufacturer (same place that does Canali etc). I have been having to buy size 44-46 coats lately because I have been buying mostly british styles, but this guy put me in a 42 from his Italian manufacturer and it fit pretty well, needs to be let out a little, but overall nice fit, and for once I would not be looking to have size 40 pants cut down to a 36. I may try Ned for something where I have more time.

Thanks for the input.

cpac

Reaction score
I had one suit made by Mr. Ned last year and am having my second made right now.

They can definitely do a nice fitted, waist-suppressed look.

Here's some (not great) photos of the first suit he made for me, which is pretty durn slim:

Image-85E39914608411DA.jpg

Image-85E3D93A608411DA.jpg

(Please note that the shirt I'm wearing was a rather sail-like Lewin number, which may have caused a couple lumps in those picture, and now that I have some much better fitted shirts from Carl, the suit itself fits much better.)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpac
I had one suit made by Mr. Ned last year and am having my second made right now.

Here's some (not great) photos of the first suit he made for me, which is pretty durn slim:

Image-85E39914608411DA.jpg

Image-85E3D93A608411DA.jpg

(Please note that the shirt I'm wearing was a rather sail-like Lewin number, which may have caused a couple lumps in those picture, and now that I have some much better fitted shirts from Carl, the suit itself fits much better.)

Nice suit. Ned does do nice work if you knwo exactly what you want and can express it to them. That jacket may be a smidgen long and there is something about the shape of his pants that I am not crazy about, but the construction is good.

new obsession

Reaction score

I remember the pics from the other thread. I am definitely going to try him, but I think a tux might not be the best first shot. Probably wait for a suit where I can fiddle with it, and just put it in rotation. I woudl be less unhappy about a slighlty 'off' fit in an ordinary suit than I woudl in a tux.

montmorency

Reaction score
I just posted on AAAC about my experiences with Mr. Ned. Instead of my repeating the same here (I don't want to be accused of cross-posting), if you're interested, read them there.

As shirtmaven has volunteered before, he refers customers to Mr. Ned and Mr. Ned refers customers to him. Not that it matters, but the relationship is known.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone here had a tux made at Mr. Ned? I am considering ordering one in the next few months because I need to replace the cheapy I bought by necessity (at Men's Wearhouse no less), and after at least of year of diligent searching, I haven't found anything that meets my requirements. The closest was a Ralph Lauren Fairbanks, with a single breasted peaked lapel and grosgrain facings. But the armholes were frustratingly low, and there were no vents (my preference, odd though it may be, is for side).

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have. It is a SB peak lapel with grosgrain facing, double vents, boutonniere holder, and flat front trousers to be worn with braces. I am very happy with their work and always receive compliments when I wear it.

I purchased the fabric from Tip Top, I believe it came from an English mill named Smith & Taylor or something like that. Ned's supplied the grosgrain. In hindsight, I think the fabrics from their books would have been more than fine and not much more expensive.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tiop Tip has a Kiton super 180s cloth that would rock for a summer weight tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads