or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations? - Page 7

post #91 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Like I said: Il Gattopardo and Lupa for Italian, Hagi Sake Bar for Japanese. Where is the Roosevelt hotel? Personally, I don't like staying in Midtown. It's easy enough to reach from anywhere by subway or taxi, too crowded during the day, and too desolate at night.

I agree.
post #92 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
I think it's a very neat neighborhood. At least it is over by Jeffrey. There is that one elevated park and it has pretty good access to all the DT neighborhoods. Don't think those are good reasons?

Eh. We're not very downtown sort of people. Anyway, given what Moo wants to do, easy access to different points in the city by subway is key. I'd make sure my hotel is near a station with a convenient line.

Not to plug my own neighborhood too much, but I'd consider staying in the Upper West Side. There are some nice hotels and there are subway stops everywhere that will take you all over the city except for the Upper East Side. Also, it's a pretty neighborhood with a lot of good, unpretentious restaurants, and you can easily walk through Central Park on a daily basis to get to Midtown.

Of course, if cost was no issue, I'd stay at the Carlyle on the Upper East Side. I hear that Mariano Rubinacci does the wake-up calls. You can tell he's smiling.
post #93 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Eh. We're not very downtown sort of people. Anyway, given what Moo wants to do, easy access to different points in the city by subway is key. I'd make sure my hotel is near a station with a convenient line.

Not to plug my own neighborhood too much, but I'd consider staying in the Upper West Side. There are some nice hotels and there are subway stops everywhere that will take you all over the city except for the Upper East Side. Also, it's a pretty neighborhood with a lot of good, unpretentious restaurants, and you can easily walk through Central Park on a daily basis to get to Midtown.

Of course, if cost was no issue, I'd stay at the Carlyle on the Upper East Side. I hear that Mariano Rubinacci does the wake-up calls. You can tell he's smiling.

I live on the UWS and I can't stress enough how I wouldn't ever stay here again. It just isn't that much fun.
post #94 of 421
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
I rearranged it for you... I'd really add a day for just checking out the Village, SoHo, and Union Square so that can be Day 4.
Sweet! Thanks. What kinds of things can one see/do in the Village, SoHo and Union Square?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperWestie View Post
Moo - I don't know if its been mentioned here yet, but if u want to do high end dinner, might as well give Per Se a go. It pretty entertaining given the service and uniqueness of the food. I think its a great experience for someone visiting. Its an impressive space, awesome views of Central Park. I have a plethora of Asian and specifically Japanese recommendations - u can PM me. Oh, strip club rec's too if u need...given its your anniversary and all...
Per Se is a great recommendation. It is at the very top of what I would be willing to pay for food, especially considering my relative close proximity to the French Laundry and having never gone. Will consider it though. LOL @ strip clubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
I guess everyone should see it once, I'd go at night on a weekend but just to see it in action. It's absolute hordes of people and craziness.
It just seems like it's centrally located to most of the things we want to do and see...
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post
I was suggesting adding Madison to your 5th Avenue. Not sure if you plan on having dedicated shopping days or mixing it in with the site seeing, but you can walk up and down each on different days, depending on your itinerary. But certainly Madison shouldn't be forgotten.
Ah. What is the difference between Madison and 5th in terms of shopping experience? This trip will mostly be a sight-seeing trip and less a shopping trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Like I said: Il Gattopardo and Lupa for Italian, Hagi Sake Bar for Japanese. Where is the Roosevelt hotel? Personally, I don't like staying in Midtown. It's easy enough to reach from anywhere by subway or taxi, too crowded during the day, and too desolate at night.
Yes, those are at the top of our list, Foo - thank you. The Roosevelt is on E 42nd and Madison Ave. Is this Midtown? Would you recommend another neighborhood?
post #95 of 421
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
Are you staying at the Grand Hyatt?
I want to stay at the Roosevelt, but haven't made a final decision yet. The other contender is, indeed, the Grand Hyatt.
post #96 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Of course, if cost was no issue, I'd stay at the Carlyle on the Upper East Side. I hear that Mariano Rubinacci does the wake-up calls. You can tell he's smiling.

If you don't need a lot of room, the Garden Suite at the Lowell is what I would recommend now that the Pierre is managed by the Taj chain.

Some of the guests at the Carlyle are known to be quite mad.


- B
post #97 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
I live on the UWS and I can't stress enough how I wouldn't ever stay here again. It just isn't that much fun.

+1000

I live here too, boring, nothing to do.
post #98 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
I rearranged it for you...


I'd really add a day for just checking out the Village, SoHo, and Union Square so that can be Day 4.

Randall, really fix it for him. Add the clothing stores in each of those locations..C21, FB, Daffy's..etc.


For Italian, I would second the recommendation for Babbo and Lupa. Babbo is only open for dinner and even in these times hard to get a rez, so plan ahead. If you follow Randall's advice and hit Soho, got to Lupa for a late lunch, around 2-3pm. Sit at the bar. Like Foo said it is the closets to feeling like you stumbled into a great restaurant in Rome. Two of my favorites in NY.
post #99 of 421
On the Japanese restaurants I would weigh in and say:
1) Hagi - its an izakaya or pub restaurant. Very informal and little bites/plates with beer. Almost Japanese tapas. Its good and unique, but quite casual.

2) Aburiya Kinnosuke - also a Japanese grill restaurant, but slightly more formal. Not a beer/sake bar in the true sense that Hagi is. You will be hard pressed to find more than a handful of round eyes in this place. Lots of grilled fishes, meats, noodles - all wood charcoal open pit. Their specialty is a robata grilled meatball. Quite delicious. Very nice decor and little more relaxing than Hagi.

3) Sushi Yasuda- Sushi. I think SF has decent sushi, but this trumps anything I've had out there. Its better than most places I've been in Tokyo. While everyone can get fresh fish if they pay enough, the rice here is what is distinguishing. If you go, sit at the bar and request Yasuda-san himself as your chef. Get an Omikase meal - it will run you 100-120/head without drinks if you go that route. It will be the most memorable sushi experience of your life.


4) Dont bother with Chinese. SF Chinese food is light years ahead of the crap they serve in this town.
post #100 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
I live on the UWS and I can't stress enough how I wouldn't ever stay here again. It just isn't that much fun.

Depends on your age. It is not the hippest part of town and there is not much of a night life there, but it is pretty and very pleasant to walk through, with lots of cafes and restaurants to stumble into. If you want to get a good feel for what it's like to live in the city, it's an excellent place to be. We like to go to the Village at night, but I don't like the ambiance as much (sue me). It feels much newer and more temporary. The buildings are low-to-the-ground and far less grand. Every store and restaurant seems desperate to out-cool its neighbors. Not my sort of thing.
post #101 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperWestie View Post
3) Sushi Yasuda- Sushi. I think SF has decent sushi, but this trumps anything I've had out there. Its better than most places I've been in Tokyo. While everyone can get fresh fish if they pay enough, the rice here is what is distinguishing. If you go, sit at the bar and request Yasuda-san himself as your chef. Get an Omikase meal - it will run you 100-120/head without drinks if you go that route. It will be the most memorable sushi experience of your life.

+1000. Best sushi I've ever had. The chef comes from Kyoto, I believe. Order the course that includes the baby crabs.
post #102 of 421
Personally I would stay in Chelsea (high teens/low 20s) as you can walk to the village/Soho and there is easy access to subways. Mr. Moo - if you know how to play Priceline right then you can get a good hotel for less than $150 a night. Only problem is you can't pick the exact hotel (only area) and you need to pay now. Check out this site for how to bid and read the FAQs thoroughly if you decide to use Priceline. On a different note, for pizza John's use to be my favorite back in the 90s but wasn't as good when I was just in NYC. Here are some other places that are supposed to be good: John's of Bleecker-278 Bleecker Street (between 6th and 7th Ave's) Keste - 271 Bleecker - Pizza Artichoke - 328 E 14th St - Pizza Lombardi's - 32 Spring St Also if you like ramen then I really liked Ippudo on 65 Fourth Avenue btwn 9&10th street
post #103 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Ah. What is the difference between Madison and 5th in terms of shopping experience? This trip will mostly be a sight-seeing trip and less a shopping trip.



I prefer Madison, as it is far less crowded than 5th, and there are a number of really great shops, from Barneys to Ralph Lauren to Tom Ford.
But you should check out 5th, too. My advice would be to start from maybe 57th or 56th on 5th going north, and then once you pass Bergdorf, take a right and continue up Madison.
post #104 of 421
You and you are wife are both in your mid-20s, right? I'd spend a day around the Village, LES, Nolita, Soho, Chinatown, etc.

You could go to the Jewish Tenement Museum in the LES, which can be very interesting. Nolita and Soho are fun for all the great stores, which will be a nice change of pace from the places on 5th or Madison, and the people watching while strolling the streets is great.

The Village can be fun to wander around or even take some unique tours of, and you can go hang out in Washington Square Park. I can recommend a great Belgian beer and fries place nearby the park that I like to visit. Maybe grab some food in Chinatown. All these neighborhoods border each other and would make for a nice full day of eating, shopping, seeing sites, and just taking in the city. It's less touristy than midtown and less boring than further downtown. These neighborhoods are also easy to just wander around and not feel like you have to plan everything out. Plus, I think you may feel more comfortable in that part of town, simply based on your age.
post #105 of 421
I usually take my out-of-towner friends through this route after they have done the touristy thangs... Start from Union Square at around 1 ish... Walk down University Place to the Washington Sq Park Walk through the Park to the West Village Get a slice of Pizza from Joe's on Carmine Then make a right onto Bleecker St. Get another slice of pizza from Bleecker St Pizza (nona maria - my favorite ever). Continue to walk up Bleecker. Hit up magnolia for some crappy cupcakes. Walk back down Bleecker and then right onto W Broadway to venture into SoHo. Walk around that area... Then all the way down to Chinatown for some more cheap eats. Then through Little Italy and up to get some Rice-To-Riches pudding. Then over to the LES for some Katz deli. this is usually night-fall...so we're in the perfect spot for some bars. You get a nice glimpse of the different neighborhoods that aren't (completely) ravaged by tourists and tourist-minded companies. And... you won't be spending much money on food.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?