or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

post #1 of 421
Thread Starter 
My wife and I will be making a trip to New York City for our 1 year wedding anniversary in October. We don't have any family or close friends there, so we'll likely be on our own. We are going to be there for 5 days. I haven't been there since I was 12 and she has never been, so we'll be very touristy. I'm looking for recommendations about must do/must see things, including shopping to keep it MC approved. Interested in restaurants, buildings, cool photo op places, best shows to see, etc. Also, do you recommend renting a car or should we cab/subway it the whole time? Also, what would be a good one day trip to take (i.e. leave early in the AM and come back in the evening)? Niagara Falls seems like it's too far for that (800 miles round trip). Any other ideas? Thanks guys!
post #2 of 421
while I love NYC I'm too poor to afford NYC


PS: I always enjoy the Sabrett hot dog stands on the streets and the cheap but oh-so-sweet coffee from the street venders.
post #3 of 421
What do you like to do? I mean, if you don't like going to art museums, why should you go to the Met, MoMA, Guggenheim (good Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit right now), Whitney, etc. etc. etc. even if they are wonderful?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
Also, do you recommend renting a car or should we cab/subway it the whole time?
This is really one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. With only 5 days, I can't say I'd recommend a day trip. The city has too much to offer. Maybe take a ride up to The Cloisters instead. Will feel like you're leaving the city even if you aren't.
post #4 of 421
For the city, it is really troublesome to have a car. Parking is difficult to find, so it's much better to walk around and take the subway. Be warned though, it gets incredibly humid and musty underground. Also smells terrible. I suggest going to the observation deck on top of the NBC building at least once, preferably for the sunset. It's at Rockefeller Center, so you can look around there too. I would definitely catch at least one Broadway show if you can. I haven't gone in forever so I don't know what shows are going on, but common favorites such as Wicked, Chicago, and The Lion King are still playing. To really enjoy NYC, you have to walk around and absorb the view while bumping into a few New Yorkers. For shopping, the usual locations in NYC are 5th Avenue, Madison, and SoHo. Just walk around and you'll find most fashion labels.
post #5 of 421
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123 View Post
What do you like to do? I mean, if you don't like going to art museums, why should you go to the Met, MoMA, Guggenheim (good Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit right now), Whitney, etc. etc. etc. even if they are wonderful?



This is really one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

With only 5 days, I can't say I'd recommend a day trip. The city has too much to offer. Maybe take a ride up to The Cloisters instead. Will feel like you're leaving the city even if you aren't.

OK, I'm guessing subway/cab it is. I'm from San Francisco and the suburbs, man - we drive everywhere!

I like to do more or less touristy stuff when I'm in a new place - explore, take photos, eat good food. We like museums and definitely want to go to the Guggenheim. Is the NY Modern Art Museum good? I love the SF MOMA, so if the NYC is as good or better I'd love to check it out.

What are the Cloisters?
post #6 of 421
.......
post #7 of 421
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahneun View Post
For the city, it is really troublesome to have a car. Parking is difficult to find, so it's much better to walk around and take the subway. Be warned though, it gets incredibly humid and musty underground. Also smells terrible. I suggest going to the observation deck on top of the NBC building at least once, preferably for the sunset. It's at Rockefeller Center, so you can look around there too. I would definitely catch at least one Broadway show if you can. I haven't gone in forever so I don't know what shows are going on, but common favorites such as Wicked, Chicago, and The Lion King are still playing. To really enjoy NYC, you have to walk around and absorb the view while bumping into a few New Yorkers. For shopping, the usual locations in NYC are 5th Avenue, Madison, and SoHo. Just walk around and you'll find most fashion labels.

Sweet, thanks. The observation deck at Sunset sounds nice.

Any particularly nice restaurants in the $100-$200/person range for a nice anniversary dinner?
post #8 of 421
If you're into museums, the Guggenheim is right next to the Met. The Met is superior. The NYC MoMA >>>>>>>>>> SF MoMA. If you go across Central Park from the Met, you'll run into the Museum of Natural History.
post #9 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
Sweet, thanks. The observation deck at Sunset sounds nice.

Any particularly nice restaurants in the $100-$200/person range for a nice anniversary dinner?

What kind of food are you looking for?
post #10 of 421
Do not rent a car, you will regret it terribly. Get a 7-day subway pass, it's good for the busses too. Cabs can add up, I only use them for crosstown travel.


For day trips, you might want to consider the Finger Lakes - relax on the lakes, take a boat tour, and visit some of many wineries in the region. I'd rent a car for this, however.

For museums, MoMA is nice, but usually crowded. The Met is spectacular and massive. Almost too massive. The Guggenheim is right across from the Met, both are like 3 blocks away from where I live.

For stores, Bergdorf Goodman is about as good as it gets for both men and women. I could shop there and there alone and be happy (though SFers will probably balk at the lofty price tags and lack of 98.9% off sales).
post #11 of 421
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahneun View Post
What kind of food are you looking for?

French, likely. In that range here in SF and the Bay Area are some fantastic restaurants. I'm not sure that NYC operates on the same price scale. Some restaurants in that range here are Fleur de Lys, Gary Danko, etc.
post #12 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
What are the Cloisters?
The medieval collections of the Met, at a separate site way uptown in a pretty park. It's a nice place, not necessarily one I'd recommend to a first time visitor because there's so much else, but you would feel a little like you were getting away/taking a day trip. http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/the_cloisters Unrelated, but go to lunch at Jean Georges.
post #13 of 421
I wouldn't get a car...subways are good for the most part.

As far as eating...try out Bemonte's in Williamsburgh. Authentic Italian cuisine (not the crap that people call "Italian" that pisses Italian Americans off. Nice place, very old fashioned. Can dress up or not.

Also, I think you mentioned you're Russian...hit Brighton Beach for some great Russian grub (N train or Q train).

As far as shopping you can do lots of damage. Good stuff all over. Major dept stores, boutiques, etc...

Some museums like the Met and Natural History are good also, but lesser known ones are even better. The LES Tenement Museum is fantastic and then you can eat lunch at Katz's Deli afterward.

Uptown is the Museum of the City of NY and a great Mexican place called El Paso Taqueria on 103 and Lex...but go for lunch, dinner can be loud and crowded in the small space...if its nice, the outdoor garden in the back is beautiful.

Also, the Brooklyn Museum has tons of Rodin last time I was there and a great Egyptian exhibit. There you're right off of Prospect Park and close to Park Slope which has some decent grub as well.
post #14 of 421
.....................
post #15 of 421
a decent day trip is the Dia: Beacon museum. Metronorth train ride from Grand Central to Beacon, which has a decent main street, and a modern art museum. The entire train ride is along the Hudson, which is beautiful.

You'd want to confirm Dia is open whenever you take this trip.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?