or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stuff Styleforum underrates!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stuff Styleforum underrates! - Page 12

post #166 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperWestie View Post
Agreed. I have a pair of APC New Standards and they are a complete biatch to break in. I've given up. A total waste of time and effort.

No sympathy. I made my raw 45rpms submit and I'm a wimp.
post #167 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post
What do you mean "streetwear" approach? Tight, straight leg/tapered raw denim with, say a MTM dress shirt, repp tie, odd vest, and patch coat pocket?

As much as I tried to appreciate and incorporate the slim fitting raw denim myself, it just doesn't work for me. And after numerous wears, my raw denim is as stiff and tight as the first day I bought them. And my nuts aren't too happy about that. This stretching 2-3 sizes is a complete joke. I'll take my nicely washed, bootcut, comfortable Rock & Republic jeans any day and pair that with an MTM shirt or jacket.

I love the RRLs I discovered because of that thread.
post #168 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
No sympathy. I made my raw 45rpms submit and I'm a wimp.

What is the method to your madness? Time and frequency involved?
post #169 of 211
I think there is a lot to learn about casual. Just because something is casual, people assume its "thrown on". There's danger in assuming casual means easy. I know that last sentence sounds ridiculous, but I can't phrase it any other way.

In otherwords, its easy to look good in a suit, and in tailored clothing, especially to an untrained eye. Think, "Wow, you're dressed up!", but when someone can compliment how well you wear sweats and a tee, or shorts, or jeans and a polo...it says a lot, perhaps more than someone fawning over a suit and tie. Its easy to ignore a casual outfit if its bad, simply because, "oh its just casual". He didn't really thnk about it, but when it looks good...thats different.

Think of how many people you know who aren't satorialists, who wear standard business casual of khakis and a shirt....when they throw on a jacket and tie, everyone is wooed...I see it happen all the time at my work (a public school) and even fall victim to it myself when I see someone dressed that way who normally isn't. Then when I really examine the suit, sleeves are too long, no silhouette, pants too baggy, mismatched shoes and belt...etc...
post #170 of 211
Franny as a good-natured, well-meaning person. However, I am convinced he's a strawman from the Democratic Party.
post #171 of 211
Lanvin shirts.
post #172 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
I think there is a lot to learn about casual. Just because something is casual, people assume its "thrown on". There's danger in assuming casual means easy. I know that last sentence sounds ridiculous, but I can't phrase it any other way. In otherwords, its easy to look good in a suit, and in tailored clothing, especially to an untrained eye. Think, "Wow, you're dressed up!", but when someone can compliment how well you wear sweats and a tee, or shorts, or jeans and a polo...it says a lot, perhaps more than someone fawning over a suit and tie. Its easy to ignore a casual outfit if its bad, simply because, "oh its just casual". He didn't really thnk about it, but when it looks good...thats different. Think of how many people you know who aren't satorialists, who wear standard business casual of khakis and a shirt....when they throw on a jacket and tie, everyone is wooed...I see it happen all the time at my work (a public school) and even fall victim to it myself when I see someone dressed that way who normally isn't. Then when I really examine the suit, sleeves are too long, no silhouette, pants too baggy, mismatched shoes and belt...etc...
Actually, there is a lot of good stuff to discuss here. Casual is indeed harder because you have to consider many other factors that aren't a part of just throwing on a dark suit and a light shirt and a dark or bright tie. For instance, do khakis go with a sports jacket, what color or shade of slacks with this vs. that jacket or is this polo shirt color/texture out of season? Few Americans are taught to appreciate "cut" in clothes. I remember once when someone appreciated the make of my suit and I was initially floored only to find out he had worked in the custom biz at one time.
post #173 of 211
Not so much underrates, as hardly mentions: Loro Piana ties. They have a wide selection of fabrics and can make up in any size/length. I had one done as an extra-long 7-fold. It's a beautiful pale grey/blue.
post #174 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
I think there is a lot to learn about casual. Just because something is casual, people assume its "thrown on". There's danger in assuming casual means easy. I know that last sentence sounds ridiculous, but I can't phrase it any other way.

In otherwords, its easy to look good in a suit, and in tailored clothing, especially to an untrained eye. Think, "Wow, you're dressed up!", but when someone can compliment how well you wear sweats and a tee, or shorts, or jeans and a polo...it says a lot, perhaps more than someone fawning over a suit and tie. Its easy to ignore a casual outfit if its bad, simply because, "oh its just casual". He didn't really thnk about it, but when it looks good...thats different.

Think of how many people you know who aren't satorialists, who wear standard business casual of khakis and a shirt....when they throw on a jacket and tie, everyone is wooed...I see it happen all the time at my work (a public school) and even fall victim to it myself when I see someone dressed that way who normally isn't. Then when I really examine the suit, sleeves are too long, no silhouette, pants too baggy, mismatched shoes and belt...etc...

+10000

Great point NYR. I see the same thing all the time among my friends and co-workers.
post #175 of 211
Your mom.
post #176 of 211
didn't bother to read all these pages, but
yes,
1. I would agree throwing nice casual outfit together is harder
2. I don't think every single person here trash fashion brand. I personally still like the Versace and Gucci I bought in the earlier days. Though never liked Armani, and still wouldn't lilke it now, same goes with Valentino, even the Isaia made ones, just not my cut.
post #177 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
Your mom.

That never gets old. I hope you continue using this witty response to many posts here on the forum.
post #178 of 211
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
Your mom.

God bless your mom, son.
post #179 of 211
All I wanted to say was I would take a heavily discounted Isaia over a Gucci anyday (and I did)...actually, I would take Isaia over pretty much any brand...
post #180 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by acconrad View Post
All I wanted to say was I would take a heavily discounted Isaia over a Gucci anyday (and I did)...actually, I would take Isaia over pretty much any brand...

well, I wouldn't, Isaia fits me terribly... I am sure I am minority here, but I would take gucci over Isaia at super discount, giving it's the right color...

Same reason I wouldn't bother with kiton either, it doesn't work with my body type. Attolini and Brioni is a totally different story on the other hand though, would love to get Attolini on discount if that can ever happen for real.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stuff Styleforum underrates!