• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Dylan song

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think mine is Sara (N.B. I am not a huge Dylan fan, don't know his whole catalogue or anything).

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
I cannot give you the name of one Bob Dylan song, so I will support you and your opinion. "Sara" is now my favorite Dylan song.
smile.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where Are you Tonight is another gem. Great gospel inflections. Lyrics: There's a long-distance train rolling through the rain, tears on the letter I write. There's a woman I long to touch and I miss her so much but she's drifting like a satellite. There's a neon light ablaze in this green smoky haze, laughter down on Elizabeth Street And a lonesome bell tone in that valley of stone where she bathed in a stream of pure heat. Her father would emphasize you got to be more than street-wise but he practiced what he preached from the heart. A full-blooded Cherokee, he predicted to me the time and the place that the trouble would start. There's a babe in the arms of a woman in a rage And a longtime golden-haired stripper onstage And she winds back the clock and she turns back the page Of a book that no one can write. Oh, where are you tonight? The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure, to live it you have to explode. In that last hour of need, we entirely agreed, sacrifice was the code of the road. I left town at dawn, with Marcel and St. John, strong men belittled by doubt. I couldn't tell her what my private thoughts were but she had some way of finding them out. He took dead-center aim but he missed just the same, she was waiting, putting flowers on the shelf. She could feel my despair as I climbed up her hair and discovered her invisible self. There's a lion in the road, there's a demon escaped, There's a million dreams gone, there's a landscape being raped, As her beauty fades and I watch her undrape, I won't, but then again, maybe I might. Oh, if I could just find you tonight. I fought with my twin, that enemy within, 'til both of us fell by the way. Horseplay and disease is killing me by degrees while the law looks the other way. Your partners in crime hit me up for nickels and dimes, the guy you were lovin' couldn't stay clean. It felt outa place, my foot in his face, but he should-a stayed where his money was green. I bit into the root of forbidden fruit with the juice running down my leg. Then I dealt with your boss, who'd never known about loss and who always was too proud to beg. There's a white diamond gloom on the dark side of this room and a pathway that leads up to the stars. If you don't believe there's a price for this sweet paradise, remind me to show you the scars. There's a new day at dawn and I've finally arrived. If I'm there in the morning, baby, you'll know I've survived. I can't believe it, I can't believe I'm alive, But without you it just doesn't seem right. Oh, where are you tonight? This line is a killer: "If you don't believe there's a price for this sweet paradise, remind me to show you the scars." You can tell Bob had a few cocktails before writing this one.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Along The Watchtower.

but the dead weather's cover of New Pony is pretty kick ass.

and honourable mention to Lay Lady Lay and Mr Tambourine Man.

-Jeff

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like a Rolling Stone.

I saw Dylan do it live in the 1960s ( not this performance )

How many songs are considered absolutely iconic 40 years later and define a generation?

Fatto_in_Italia

Reaction score
Picking an alltime favorite bob dylan song is sheer impossible..
For some time reason iTunes keeps putting on 'lay lady lay' a lot lately, and I have to say it's definately one of my favorites..

Tomorrow it'll probably be a different one

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Song to Woody
Don't think twice it's alright
With God on our side
Only a pawn in their game
All I really want to do
It's all over now, baby blue
Like a Rolling Stone
Positively 4th street
I threw it all away

I'll stop there for now.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Visions of Johanna
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Like A Rolling Stone
Visions of Johanna
Desolation Row
Just Like a Woman

Crooow

Reaction score
"Maggie's Farm". It's so simple, yet it encapsulates everything I think of when I think about Bob Dylan.

FWIW, "All Along the Watchtower" would have been my choice, but that's Jimi's song (I don't care who wrote and performed it originally).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads