• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Embroidery for Velvet Slippers

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been drawn to velvet slippers & smoking jackets and am about to embark on commissioning my first pair from the Del Toro boys after doing much research. Question is, which one of their many designs should I go for on the vamp?

I was leaning toward my initials which would require a 3-4 month wait, but if I chose one of the other designs it should be a bit quicker. What should I get? (Not [screw] U, Bill)

Thanks

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go for your initials, it's worth the wait.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No half-measures. If you're going for embroidery go for THE most obnoxious that they offer. I have a pair with cornets on them. My wife absolutely despises them. They are great!! Personally I like the horney bull one (under Farm Animals):
Anid2016.bmp
Or perhaps one of these crest ones under "Patriotic Designs"
Pati2026.bmp
Remember, this is no time to half-ass it. I might even reconsider the screw you design.

Mr T

Reaction score
As you may know, they recently changed their stock slipper, going from a quilted to a leather lining. I only mention this because if you wanted the quilted lining it is still available at shoebuy dot com (although only in plain toe).

Regardless, please post pics when you get them.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I've always been drawn to velvet slippers & smoking jackets and am about to embark on commissioning my first pair from the Del Toro boys after doing much research. Question is, which one of their many designs should I go for on the vamp?

I was leaning toward my initials which would require a 3-4 month wait, but if I chose one of the other designs it should be a bit quicker. What should I get? (Not [screw] U, Bill)

Thanks

Have you already gotten the smoking jacket?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
As you may know, they recently changed their stock slipper, going from a quilted to a leather lining. I only mention this because if you wanted the quilted lining it is still available at shoebuy dot com (although only in plain toe).

I actually didn't know this. Thanks for posting it. I have a quilted version of the Del Toro, but it is the plain version.

Here's an older pic of the ones I'm wearing right now. They're from Bullock & Jones (San Francisco) but I believe are made by either Shipton Hennage or another English maker. I can't ever keep that straight.

Shoes002.jpg

Aren't they obnoxious?

Mr T

Reaction score
Yes, they are wonderfully obnoxious.

If I remember correctly, there was a decent thread at the accursed other clothing website that described different makers. Might be worthwhile to track it down.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always been fond of the dollar sign slippers from Stubbs and Wootton.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
Yes, they are wonderfully obnoxious.

If I remember correctly, there was a decent thread at the accursed other clothing website that described different makers. Might be worthwhile to track it down.

This one I think is the one you're talking about.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'm surprised they don't have a pig, which could be fun. Do you have any particularly strong association with one of the ready designs? If not, maybe just plain.

My first thought was to go to the food section hoping to find a Scotch glass because of my strong ties to alcohol and the only thing close was the Martini glass. May have to draw something up & send it to them.

Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Just go for your initials, it's worth the wait.

This will be the default, if I don't settle on a motif.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
No half-measures. If you're going for embroidery go for THE most obnoxious that they offer. I have a pair with cornets on them. My wife absolutely despises them. They are great!!

Personally I like the horney bull one (under Farm Animals):
Anid2016.bmp

Or perhaps one of these crest ones under "Patriotic Designs"
Pati2026.bmp

Remember, this is no time to half-ass it. I might even reconsider the screw you design.

Yes, I agree. Have to go balls to the wall on this, thanks!

Originally Posted by rich_202
Hi there, first post on these forums by myself. I'm an AAAC member, and have been a SF lurker. This thread sparked me to sign up and comment.

I completely agree with Mark on this one. Something completely obnoxious is only fitting. I say that you have no choice but to get the XX embroidered on them with a caption below stating: "Stay thirsty my friends."

I look forward to future posts here.

Welcome, friend!

Yes, I actually prefer the leather lined versions and am glad I waited.

Originally Posted by TheWraith
Have you already gotten the smoking jacket?

Still looking, there should be a thread forthcoming.

Originally Posted by Jeff Naylor
This one I think is the one you're talking about.

Thanks Jeff, those threads from the good Doc where extremely informative. Those Del Toro guys should send him something special for that. Seriously.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Initials. It is worth the wait.
slippers.jpg

Thanks PSG, your pic & the fact that your wife bought them for you as a gift will help me our big time here. I told my wife yesterday while in the park that I was going to buy some $200 slippers & she looked at me like I had 3 heads. Maybe something like this:
whiskey_2.jpg
or
drink_money.JPG
istockphoto_5052808-glass-of-scotch-with-drunk-mannequin.jpg
istockphoto_5006056-wine-bottle-and-mannequin.jpg
cigar-scotch.jpg

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Thanks PSG, your pic & the fact that your wife bought them for you as a gift will help me our big time here. I told my wife yesterday while in the park that I was going to buy some $200 slippers & she looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Maybe something like this:

cigar-scotch.jpg

This or your initials (but I'd prefer initials).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads