or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Canada Goose
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canada Goose - Page 61

post #901 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post

I actually don't have a CG and will not buy one because of how they treat Canadians. CG regularly goes on sale in the US but it never goes on sale here (CG does not allow retailers to put it on sale) which is disappointing considering it's a "Canadian" company so we actually end up paying more for it despite it being manufactured here.

What you're saying is there's no known brands that are the same price as CG and not ugly. There actually are, but I don't want to spoil them in case they become the new CG.

Lol.

Anyway, I have one, my bro has one, and my girlfriend has one. I have one because it's warm. Sure, I can put on an undershirt, then a OCBD, then a sweater, then a scarf, then a wool coat, and Thinsulate gloves, and wear long-johns, but why would I do all of that if I can just wear an OCBD and a CG coat?

I have no fucking idea about which part of Toronto you guys live in, but where I live it gets pretty cold and windy in the winter. It's something I wear 3 months in the year, and when I see people actually making a video ridiculing it, I just laugh and wish I had enough spare time to do that shit.
post #902 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

I'm wearing uniqlo ultra down under a wool coat and it works for me. And I'm in Quebec.

This is a fucking fashion forum, you expect people to not care about this sort of thing?
^ this.

gaseous, just wondering, why are you defending CG with such passion?

Generally speaking, you're lying if you are really buying CG with 100% pure intention for function (you wear a Canada Goose just to keep warm? oh please). And even if so, that's a bad research on your part. 2,3 layers of Columbia will be as warm, if not warmer, than 1 CG, but will still be less than half the price of some of the CG models.

You buy it because, yes, it's high quality, but more because it sets you apart from hordes of NF/Columbia on the streets. Correct me if I am wrong, but the reason people are complaining in this thread seems to be that it is not exclusive anymore, despite its exclusive price and attitude.

I bought one myself a couple years ago because I am not a native Minnesotan who can walk around in shorts or sweats in -10 c weather, but did not want the North Face because of its negative image in my country. The price wasn't too bad compared to TNF back then either. If I had to buy a winter jacket now, I would not buy CG because now I know 'everyone' will be wearing it in few years (just look at the campus. You see at least one every day) and is overpriced for what it provides (well for for $350.. shog[1].gif ). Instead I would rather buy a ToJ fishtail or CDW, then save up (a lot of )money for a trip in the summer or something.
post #903 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMangelo View Post

 

Simons ran a 20% off sale on their Canada Goose merchandise in January; your claim is patently untrue.

 

And they will be removed from CG's authorized retailers list.

 

Your point?

post #904 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMangelo View Post

 

Simons ran a 20% off sale on their Canada Goose merchandise in January; your claim is patently untrue.

 

And they will be removed from CG's authorized retailers list.

 

Your point?

Source link?

 

Demand for CG is probably high enough that they could enforce something like that, but as it stands they still list Simons under "Find A Retailer" on their official site.

post #905 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoceo View Post

^ this.

gaseous, just wondering, why are you defending CG with such passion?

Not defending, just genuinely curious why a lot of you are hating on the brand. I guess I get it if you're from Canada and you see it all the time, but the negative responses that are bandied about here are typical of SF members who dislike something purely because of popularity. as with anything I take them with a grain of salt. I can tell you that in Minnesota I have seen approximately 2 people wearing CG....that's right, 2. one was an old dude in his 60's wearing a bomber jacket and the other was some soccer mom I saw at the zoo. they don't exactly encompass the stereotypical CG consumer that some of you Canadians are ridiculing.
Quote:
Generally speaking, you're lying if you are really buying CG with 100% pure intention for function (you wear a Canada Goose just to keep warm? oh please). And even if so, that's a bad research on your part. 2,3 layers of Columbia will be as warm, if not warmer, than 1 CG, but will still be less than half the price of some of the CG models.

my complaint with other companies is that I truly dislike product made in China, but this comes more from a social perspective. China is known to use sweatshop labor. Am I being hypocritical about this? I guess I am, as I do own product made in China (like TNF, Columbia, etc), but I am trying to make a conscious effort not to support companies that source production overseas. But to counter your claim, I am buying CG purely for function. Minnesota sees it's fair share of sub-zero temps and next to Alaska I would say we're one of the coldest states in the US. I have a CG vest that I wear as a sub-layer with my TNF coat and it keeps my moderately warm. Also, when the temps reach the 30-40 degree mark I can just wear the vest and i'm more than comfortable. But, I dislike having to wear multiple layers when 1 should suffice.
Quote:
You buy it because, yes, it's high quality, but more because it sets you apart from hordes of NF/Columbia on the streets. Correct me if I am wrong, but the reason people are complaining in this thread seems to be that it is not exclusive anymore, despite its exclusive price and attitude.

I actually don't care that practically every person I see is wearing TNF. I dislike my Gotham coat because it fails to keep my sufficiently warm when the temp dips below zero. Also keep in mind that i'm 41, don't hang out at bars, have a baby on the way and truly do not give a rat's ass what some trendy hipster thinks of my coat. but I do agree with you that people complain about CG because it no longer carries exclusivity for them, just like with any brand.
post #906 of 1063
Quote:
my complaint with other companies is that I truly dislike product made in China, but this comes more from a social perspective. China is known to use sweatshop labor.

wow very insightful commentary, thank you. you should consider a career in anthropology.
post #907 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

wow very insightful commentary, thank you. you should consider a career in anthropology.

I get that being sarcastic is probably your "thing," but he makes a good point.
post #908 of 1063
You realize there are also sweatshops in Italy, the US, Canada, and pretty much everywhere where there are illegal immigrants and manufacturing? And that there is plenty of NON-sweatshop, high quality product coming from China? Not saying CG uses sweatshop labour, just that it's not a well-informed comment.
post #909 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

You realize there are also sweatshops in Italy, the US, Canada, and pretty much everywhere where there are illegal immigrants and manufacturing? And that there is plenty of NON-sweatshop, high quality product coming from China? Not saying CG uses sweatshop labour, just that it's not a well-informed comment.

most offenders have sweatshops that are located in Sri Lanka, Taiwan, China, Bangladesh, Honduras, Mexico, etc. but I guess your definition of sweatshop differs from my idea of a sweatshop. but i'll take your dim-witted jab at me as a compliment because I doubt you know what you're talking about either.
post #910 of 1063
Quote:
A factory or workshop, esp. in the clothing industry, where manual workers are employed at very low wages for long hours and under poor conditions
post #911 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

You realize there are also sweatshops in Italy, the US, Canada, and pretty much everywhere where there are illegal immigrants and manufacturing? And that there is plenty of NON-sweatshop, high quality product coming from China? Not saying CG uses sweatshop labour, just that it's not a well-informed comment.

+1 Just because something is made in China doesn't mean it's poor quality. There are some very skilled workers who manufacture goods there; employment quality standards are lower so wages can also be accordingly lower, but that in no means detracts from the quality of the product. You think that just because something is "Made in the USA" that it's higher quality? Perhaps, but the price would be exorbitantly higher to compensate the workers who feel they deserve high wages, benefits, etc... when you can get a product of identical quality made overseas for a fraction of the price.

Let's look a company pertinent to the discussion. Arc'teryx is renowned for making high quality outerwear for a select niche group of consumers. In the last few years, Arc'teryx shifted production from Canada to China, a move that may have ruffled a few feathers, but in no way detracted from the quality of garments they were producing. They did this simply to remain competitive with their prices (which were always at the high end of the technical outerwear spectrum) because if production had remained in Canada, prices would have skyrocketed.

Companies can maintain a high level of quality control if their business model is based on high quality garments. Many "high end" retailers have shifted production to China to keep up with increasing demand but maintain prices and quality. Rag & Bone, Theory, and others come to mind.

This whole xenophobic view of the overseas manufacturing in Asia is largely an American produced fallacy, all in some mislead, blind patriotic quest to keep manufacturing of products in the U.S. while being totally blind to the concept of comparative advantage. It's like people who only buy American cars, despite the fact that cars from foreign companies such as Toyota and Honda are also manufactured in America and provide just as many Americans with jobs as American car companies do; perhaps even more since the latter companies have a greater market share.
post #912 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoceo View Post


Generally speaking, you're lying if you are really buying CG with 100% pure intention for function (you wear a Canada Goose just to keep warm? oh please). And even if so, that's a bad research on your part. 2,3 layers of Columbia will be as warm, if not warmer, than 1 CG, but will still be less than half the price of some of the CG models.
 

 

I don't disagree that with layering you could easily use a variety of products as you've suggested. My personal preference for my work environment is to wear a dress shirt and tie and just the CG rather than to wear multiple layers. I'm always super warm in my office and find when I get to my desk I'm peeling off all the layers I came in with. At that point I need a dresser a work to put all the layers away. Given the longevity I've gotten from the CG I'm comfortable I got my money's worth since its still got more than a couple of winters to go.

post #913 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis View Post

Lol.

Anyway, I have one, my bro has one, and my girlfriend has one. I have one because it's warm. Sure, I can put on an undershirt, then a OCBD, then a sweater, then a scarf, then a wool coat, and Thinsulate gloves, and wear long-johns, but why would I do all of that if I can just wear an OCBD and a CG coat?

I have no fucking idea about which part of Toronto you guys live in, but where I live it gets pretty cold and windy in the winter. It's something I wear 3 months in the year, and when I see people actually making a video ridiculing it, I just laugh and wish I had enough spare time to do that shit.

Do you wear true religion? does your girlfriend rock ugg boots?
post #914 of 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdoobi View Post

Do you wear true religion? does your girlfriend rock ugg boots?

Yep!
post #915 of 1063

Might bite the bullet and pick up an Expedition for the upcoming winter. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Canada Goose