• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Shines

tqd1

Reaction score
1. How much do you pay for your shoe shines?

2. How often do you get them done?

3. Where do you go? A local department store? Airport? Shoe shine guy on the street?

4. Do you ever shine them yourself? If so when and why?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$4.50

Every few months or if I see fit to do it

There's a place where I work so I just go there

I've never really shined them myself, I'm not good at it. Might as well let someone who knows what they're doing do it.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a shoe shine guy at my local car wash. He's pretty good. I pay him $5 and $2 for a tip. However, I very rarely use him. I usually shine my shoes after every wearing if there is the slightest trace of scuffing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Going rate in Manhattan is $4. When I first moved here it was $2. As recently as two years ago it was $3. $4 is hardly unreasonable, though.

In DC and SF (the only other two cities where I get shines with any frequency) prices are a lot higher.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i go to sole man in penn, think it's 4 or 5 bucks

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$0

My dad was in the service, he taught me when I was younger. It just take time and attention to detail.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$7

Rarely.

J.W. Marriot a block or so from my office.

I usually shine them myself after 2-4 wearings.

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
$0. Do them myself. I actually enjoy it, and take pride in it.
smile.gif

oroy38

Reaction score
Shine them myself.

Once a month I'll lock myself in a room with my shoes and a couple cans of polish and just shine away. Usually about 3 hours a pair. I do touch ups in between major shinings like these to get rid of any scuffs.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
Shine them myself.

Once a month I'll lock myself in a room with my shoes and a couple cans of polish and just shine away. Usually about 3 hours a pair. I do touch ups in between major shinings like these to get rid of any scuffs.

I don't get this.
confused.gif
Foof claimed the same thing when he finally got a chance to wear his new tuxedo (only it was 5 hours, I think
crazy.gif
!). What takes so long? Is it that you go very slowly, or just keep repeating the same steps over abd over? It seems like even a pair in desperate need of a shine, that you really do a good job on, shouldn't take more than a half hour.....

oroy38

Reaction score
I've done up to 6 hours a pair, and even 10 hours over the course of a week when I was JROTC. Here's basically how it works: Clean any dirt and dust off of the shoe, you want it to be as clean as possible. Put a nice gob of spit in a can of kiwi polish or a splash of water to get the polish nice and gooey. Rub the spit/water into the polish until you have a nice paste going on. Take that paste and apply a nice thick layer to the shoe. This layer should be thick and hazy and look nasty. That's okay. The polish should be beginning to dry (works best if you heat up the polish a little bit) by the time you finish that coat. Take a lighter or put the shoe over a stove, and run the flame along the shot so that the polish and the leather heat up. The pores in the leather will open and absorb the polish and you'll see while it's heating up, the polish liquifies and looks realy glossy after hte whole shoe looks like that, take it away from the flame and let it cool, then buff it away with a soft cloth. That first coat should already look decent, but for that Patent Leather mirror finish, it takes a lot more. After you finish that first coat, you take your cloth and apply small bits of polish to the shoe rubbing in dime size circles until the polish disappears within the shine. Gradually, the polish will become deeper and shinier, giving a better look than patent leather. Basically you just keep doing this over and over and over and over until the shoe looks the way you want it to, and that takes time. There are several other methods, and I've tried most of them, but this seems to have been the best way to get a real deep and mirror shine. That's how these boots here were done: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rill_boots.JPG It takes time, patience, and a lot of boredom to polish your shoes to that level. You don't really know how shiny they can get until you sit there for hours on end buffing and buffing away at the polish. That's what we were taught in JROTC and i apply the same methods to my dress shoes. Note: The Guard at Buckingham Palace actually take blowtorches and sponges full of polish to their boots to really get a ridiculous glass-like gloss.

Oligarch

Reaction score
Always shine my shoes and iron my shirts myself. Partly a matter of pride and partly not trusting someone else with them... plus I find it relaxing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics