or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How Much do you Pay and What to Look for when Tailoring Shirts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Much do you Pay and What to Look for when Tailoring Shirts?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I recently found a tailor in town by word of mouth who does shirts at a reasonable price:

$6.75 for tapering of the sides
$6.75 for shortening sleeves

I took a shirt in last week as a "test case" to see how it turns out.

Question I have is: do you consider this a good deal, and what am I looking for in terms of quality of workmanship, i.e. are there any tell-tale signs that I shouldn't go back?

thanks!
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post
I recently found a tailor in town by word of mouth who does shirts at a reasonable price:

$6.75 for tapering of the sides
$6.75 for shortening sleeves

I took a shirt in last week as a "test case" to see how it turns out.

Question I have is: do you consider this a good deal, and what am I looking for in terms of quality of workmanship, i.e. are there any tell-tale signs that I shouldn't go back?

thanks!

If anything, the tapering and sleeve shortening charges seem a little too low. These are quite easy tasks and there's not much to look for other than whether the shirts fit you the way you want them to.
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
If anything, the tapering and sleeve shortening charges seem a little too low. These are quite easy tasks and there's not much to look for other than whether the shirts fit you the way you want them to.

Well aside from the fit, what I'm concerned about is the stitching and whatnot. Are there indications of a poorly done job? I just don't know what to specifically look for when inspecting his work.
post #4 of 28
I pay between $20 - $40 depending on the place and what I want done.
post #5 of 28
I pay ~$30 for taking in a dress shirt. $6.75 seems VERY low for such a job. My tailor takes it in starting from the sleeve all the way down the side seam. As long as it looks like a normal shirt w/ normal stitching when its all said and done, then its good enough.
post #6 of 28
I've paid anywhere from $15 (cheap local korean lady out of her garage) to $35 (my normal tailor) for having the body and sleeves tapered... generally, I've learned you get what you pay for... From now on, I only get very simple jobs like hems or buttons done with her.
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
I've paid anywhere from $15 (cheap local korean lady out of her garage) to $35 (my normal tailor) for having the body and sleeves tapered... generally, I've learned you get what you pay for...
From now on, I only get very simple jobs like hems or buttons done with her.

Interesting description of having the body AND sleeves tapered. I didn't ask this guy to taper the sleeves, so wondering how it will turn out.

From the description below, it seems that the primary diff between a standard BB shirt and a slim fit is all in the tapering of the sides:

post #8 of 28
I've paid a tailor 45 for slimming the sides/sleeves and creating two darts in the back. The results were fantastic.

I've also paid the dry cleaners 15 to slim the sides. The results were underwhelming, but decent for the price.

On the one hand, if I got a shirt from the thrift store, I'd probably go with the 15 dry cleaners. On the other hand, I'd rather take a more expensive shirt to the tailor and get more reliable results.
post #9 of 28
A lot of times, if the sides are blousy enough to require tapering, the sleeves generally need to be taken in as well (unless you have large arms).

All my shirts I had taken in, my tailor takes in the sleeves. I think it would look out of balance if he didn't do that.
post #10 of 28
When I have had shirts taken in, costs me 12$. He took in the arms even though I didn't specify. I am going to ask him if he can do a regular stitch next time so it looks exactly the same, instead of that funky stitch that leaves me with a strange inside. I can't explain it
post #11 of 28
I pay $15 to my local seamstress to take in a shirt.

That price includes pretty much anything you want done to the shirt. Includes side, sleeves, etc.

myke
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by free man View Post
When I have had shirts taken in, costs me 12$. He took in the arms even though I didn't specify. I am going to ask him if he can do a regular stitch next time so it looks exactly the same, instead of that funky stitch that leaves me with a strange inside. I can't explain it

Interesting. Maybe I can strike a deal with this tailor I'm using to see if he will also take in the sleeves for a few extra bucks, maybe $10 total
post #13 of 28
I pay $7 for the full treatment on a shirt. Dude does a really good
job.
post #14 of 28
I pay $40, they make me a whole shirt. If I want to tailor any other shirts that they didn't make, it's free as long as I'm making something.
post #15 of 28
It's quite possible that for the price you paid, and without instructing the tailor, you'll end up with the seams having overlock stitching.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How Much do you Pay and What to Look for when Tailoring Shirts?