Just in case any of you have an anniversary coming up...
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 1/16/17 at 7:03pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 6663post #99931 of 1090539/22/14 at 9:33pmpost #99932 of 1090539/22/14 at 10:03pmpost #99933 of 1090539/22/14 at 10:23pmpost #99934 of 1090539/22/14 at 10:30pmpost #99935 of 1090539/22/14 at 11:55pmpost #99936 of 1090539/23/14 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by dieworkwear
Random Fashion Thought: I'm really surprised that with the move towards more and more customization (not just in clothes, but in everything), someone hasn't started a good bespoke tailoring service for well-designed casual clothes. Not like shirts, but jackets, sweaters, and shoes.
I realize there's much less need for this in non-traditionally tailored clothes, but I can also imagine people using the service for things they can't find elsewhere on the market. I mean, there are M65s right now being sold for $1,250+. I imagine a bespoke tailoring house that specializes in casual clothes could make one for less than that, and just as good.
They do jeans etc.post #99937 of 1090539/23/14 at 1:58ampost #99938 of 1090539/23/14 at 4:30ampost #99939 of 1090539/23/14 at 7:29amQuote:
I've been happy with this one: http://smile.amazon.com/J-2000-Jiffy-Garment-Steamer-Plastic/dp/B0000665TD/ref=smi_www_rcolv2_go_smi?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
I believe jet recommended it.post #99940 of 1090539/23/14 at 7:30ampost #99941 of 1090539/23/14 at 8:36amQuote:Originally Posted by dieworkwear
I don't know what kind of "means of production" you'd really need, TBH. Besides the kind of things you'd find in a tailor's workshop - sewing machines, ironing system, etc. For casualwear, you could probably just get a CAD system to draft your patterns, rather than have some old guy do each piece from scratch, and you might need some washing machines for post-production processes, if that's what the client wanted. I assume you could even contract the last bit out, if those machines are too expensive.
I don't think people who are buying $1,250 jackets are as wedded to RTW as you think though. ToJ has basically built a good business from offering MTM leather jackets, and if they wanted to, they could let people customize some more of the details (it would just add to their work, but I imagine that could be made up for in price).
Jack/ Knife in San Francisco does this, I think. Multiple fittings, designs from scratch, etc. They just do it on the workwear/ denim end -- so things like chore coats, jeans, workwear shirts, etc. I'm just surprised there's not more of it.
There would obviously be some limitations -- like no custom hardware or custom fabrics, which would require big runs -- but I can't really see why there couldn't be a business built from making super high-end casualwear through a bespoke process. Esp for things like jackets, shoes, and knitwear -- where there's already a demand for high-end goods.
For shoes and knitwear, a lot of extant companies already do MTO/MTM. I know that there are companies that do jackets as well.
Honestly, for me, I am wedded to RTW, at least in my casual wardrobe. I pay for design, unique materials, etc... I've gotten pretty good at doing MTO for footwear, and can participate in part of the design process. But I mean, really, I am not going to design a better boot than the Viberg Service boot or the Edward Green Galway. And in leather jackets, anything I do would be a riff off of classic shapes. My favorite pieces are all in unique materials or shapes that are just not that easily found.
Even then, I sometimes to to retailers, and though I could have gotten the exact makeup done, it didn't enter my imagination until the exact moment I saw it.
So, I'll get suits and jackets MTM/Bespoke, and do some MTO footwear, but fo a lot of stuff, I prefer RTW.post #99942 of 1090539/23/14 at 8:42am
It's like Bing. At the end of the day, you can't hang your hat on "we will pay for your shit."
Grailed definitely has some potential, and I'm impressed with the layout, which allows users to display their wares as if they were at a high end online boutique, but c'mon, they weren't going to pay your fees forever. A possible business plan might be to cut a deal with Paypal so that sellers get a 1% cashback (payouts only coming after $100 is reached), or 1.25% credit on Grailed purchases, give Paypal 1-1.5%, and pocket the rest. I don't know the particulars of the site, so it's hard for me to know if this is actually feasible. But that would be a move that I would consider making.post #99943 of 1090539/23/14 at 8:48amI am in Florence right now and I am a bit disappointed with the clothing stores (probably because I don't know where to shop) and the prices are a bit high.
I'm thinking of heading to Milan to do some shopping and visit the outlets. Has anyone here been before? Worth going or should I just skip Milan altogether. What other cities in Northern Italy should I check out?post #99944 of 1090539/23/14 at 8:56ampost #99945 of 1090539/23/14 at 9:15am
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 minutes ago
- › GIIN - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 5 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 7 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...