or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 6516

post #97726 of 101119
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post
 

Just got a loooooong short sleeve oxford from Four Horsemen, aside from some tightness in the shoulders it is perfect. But for some reason it looks "long". I'm used to elongated hems and shit but that's all with T's and sweats and flannels and very casual wear, something about a button up white oxford looks a little... I dunno.

What's everybodys thoughts on long shirts? There was the talk of the tunic type deals with suits in this thread not long ago, do they have to be paired with more tailored pieces to look right or could you pull it off with denim etc?

 

It's this, for reference:

 

 

 

Back (Click to show)

It's long so you can tuck it in.  Tuck it in.

post #97727 of 101119

EDIT: double post

post #97728 of 101119
Thanks all. I feel like the back is perfect but the front is just too long. Fish tail style would've worked better with a bigger scallop, like snowman said.
I emailed them about the tightness since it's an XL and that's the biggest they had and they offered to have one custom made for me at the same price, they just said they'd need chest, shoulder and waist measurements but I'm wondering if they'd be able to shorten the front and add some length to the sleeves with some additional measurements? We'll see. The concept is dope, just the execution isn't ideal.
Aside from all that though the details are awesome, the material is a perfect light oxford, but has the same "crisp" feeling that a poplin shirt would, the embroidery is really well done and it seems to be really well made (obviously I couldn't tell for certain until I wore it a whole lot though). And their custom service is pretty awesome.
post #97729 of 101119
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadAngle View Post

It's long so you can tuck it in.  Tuck it in.
Then what would be the point of an elongated shirt?
post #97730 of 101119
Regardless of the length issue, button-up collar + short sleeve is rarely a good look.
post #97731 of 101119
Eh, I like that look. I agree that long sleeves would better but I don't have any issues with short sleeve button ups.
post #97732 of 101119
Starting a petition to ban @LA Guy from using the following words:
  • sashiko
  • belt
  • skagway
  • blue
post #97733 of 101119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post

Starting a petition to ban @LA Guy from using the following words:
  • sashiko
  • belt
  • skagway
  • blue

Speaking of which, I have started to look for the Visvim blue sashiko FBTs from a few years ago.  Sorry, not blue.  Indigo.  My bad.

post #97734 of 101119
What's so great about that shirt if long sleeves and a shorter body would be preferable (so like any regular oxford bd) ?

Anyway, the body is too tight and that's what's throwing the whole thing off. You can shorten the front but it'll still look wrong imo. Long shirt can be cool but they need to be at least a bit flowy and shit, not slim fitting with high armholes. Otherwise it just looks like some random oxford button up shirt (meant to be tucked-in) with cut-off sleeves.
post #97735 of 101119
if fok says skagway one more time...
post #97736 of 101119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipang View Post

What's so great about that shirt if long sleeves and a shorter body would be preferable (so like any regular oxford bd) ?

Anyway, the body is too tight and that's what's throwing the whole thing off. You can shorten the front but it'll still look wrong imo. Long shirt can be cool but they need to be at least a bit flowy and shit, not slim fitting with high armholes. Otherwise it just looks like some random oxford button up shirt (meant to be tucked-in) with cut-off sleeves.[/quote
]

I get what you're saying and I'm probably not explaining it well since all I'm really talking about is what doesnt work rather than what does work.
But all of the odd stuff (short sleeves, long, embroidery, light, tight knit oxford cloth etc) is what makes it appealing to me, but being 6'2 with a 45-46" chest things have a way of needing adjustments. Like I said Initially emailed about a return and they've come back and said that they can custom make one for me with whatever adjustments I need, no extra charge, which is pretty damn good as far as pleasing the customer is concerned.
But yeah, I understand what you're saying, after whatever adjustments I need though I envision it working pretty perfectly.
post #97737 of 101119
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

Thanks all. I feel like the back is perfect but the front is just too long. Fish tail style would've worked better with a bigger scallop, like snowman said.
I emailed them about the tightness since it's an XL and that's the biggest they had and they offered to have one custom made for me at the same price, they just said they'd need chest, shoulder and waist measurements but I'm wondering if they'd be able to shorten the front and add some length to the sleeves with some additional measurements? We'll see. The concept is dope, just the execution isn't ideal.
Aside from all that though the details are awesome, the material is a perfect light oxford, but has the same "crisp" feeling that a poplin shirt would, the embroidery is really well done and it seems to be really well made (obviously I couldn't tell for certain until I wore it a whole lot though). And their custom service is pretty awesome.

When you shorten a shirt, you often need some extra material to replace the placket, otherwise the last buttonhole will be oddly too close to the hem (assuming you have a buttonhole already in a standard distance from the hem, which on your shirt, it looks like you do). In order to alter the placket, however, you need to have access to the original cloth. Sometimes it's fine if it's the same mill, but a different bolt. But depending on the weave and color, sometimes you even need a piece of cloth from the same bolt, as the dyeing process can vary from bolt to bolt. Which is why when you get a bespoke shirt made, most shirtmakers will keep a length of your original shirt cloth, incase you ever need to replace the collar or cuffs. (Granted, some people just replace with a different material, which looks really bad IMO, but that's a different issue).

I agree with sipang though. Long shirts tend to look better when they're flowy. Not when someone just took their regular shirt design and lengthened it.
post #97738 of 101119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post

5-zip + straight trousers is a good combo:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





 

My favourite 5-zip fit was someone who posted an illustration of themselves wearing one. Google is failing me. 

post #97739 of 101119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

@luxire, I don't see how that relates to this thread at all.


Apologies. As you can see, it was not posted on the Luxire Official Thread till this moment.

 

I have both the threads open side by side and this went to the wrong thread. Your reply makes me realize the error.

post #97740 of 101119
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Speaking of which, I have started to look for the Visvim blue sashiko FBTs from a few years ago.  Sorry, not blue.  Indigo.  My bad.

I've actually started to look for a lot more sashiko and indigo stuff. Why didn't I know about blue blue japan earlier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts