Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on Yesterday at 12:08 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:02 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Random fashion thoughts - Page 6444post #96646 of 1090546/15/14 at 9:00pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #96647 of 1090546/15/14 at 9:50pm@gettoastyHave one that's like a year old and it shrinks a little in the dryer but stretches back out. Mostly hang dry though. Have another that I just bought and washed for the first time this weekend and no noticeable stretching from hang drying. I don't think you should worry about it.post #96648 of 1090546/15/14 at 9:59pm
I might be out of town for much of August but if you want to get a beer with an Internet rando/lurker let me know when you're here.post #96649 of 1090546/16/14 at 5:26am
I mean my local art museum has some margiela pieces on permanent collection, these are hardly niche artists. Yes you can physically make decent clothes with no knowledge of fashion history, probably, but that's not a good excuse for 'fashion students' to be totally ignorant.post #96650 of 1090546/16/14 at 5:27amQuote:Originally Posted by KingJulien
I mean my local art museum has some margiela pieces on permanent collection, these are hardly niche artists. Yes you can physically make decent clothes with no knowledge of fashion history, probably, but that's not a good excuse for 'fashion students' to be totally ignorant.
ICA?post #96651 of 1090546/16/14 at 5:29ampost #96652 of 1090546/16/14 at 6:18amQuote:
This is blatantly false and the fact that your knowledge of a set of practices, representations, acceptable objectives, institutions, technical terms and even social practices at large DOES influence your "aesthetic taste" is the very reason why people like Dubuffet sought to get rid of all of those influences with art brut.post #96653 of 1090546/16/14 at 6:27amlol, all these people talking about fashion school... Ay yi yi.
I went to school for fashion, in fact, I have a diploma for it!
Some students know more than others about other designers, but the truth of it is, back when I went to school, you couldn't find full collections on the internet. We had to rely on the seasonal collection magazines that we had to travel to NYC to buy and they were $150 per issue. There were separate ones for Mens and womens and Milan and Paris. So that's at least $600 per season just to look at the collections. When everyone did their interships, all of us ransacked our employers for old magazines that we could bring back to school and trade and share.
I spent most of my spare $$$ while in school on bus tickets to NYC and buying fabric there. I didn't have a single cent left to buy decent food, let alone designer clothes.
We learned about Coco Chanel and Bonnie Cashin as far as history of fashion. Primarily I learned how to make patterns, how to sew, knit, fashion illustration, etc. The actual skills are what is taught in a fashion program, not Margiela.
...And there is a whole separate degree for Textile design.post #96654 of 1090546/16/14 at 7:00amMeanwhile on the CM side you see Dalrymple articles about the state of dress:
http://takimag.com/article/slobbery_as_snobbery_theodore_dalrymple/print#ixzz34nn4Q7clpost #96655 of 1090546/16/14 at 7:05amQuote:Originally Posted by Fuuma
Meanwhile on the CM side you see Dalrymple articles about the state of dress:
http://takimag.com/article/slobbery_as_snobbery_theodore_dalrymple/print#ixzz34nn4Q7clQuote:Fat people, for example, do not have to look monstrous. Dressed correctly, as fat West African women often are, they can even achieve a magnificence that does not preclude elegance.post #96656 of 1090546/16/14 at 7:13ampost #96657 of 1090546/16/14 at 7:15ampost #96658 of 1090546/16/14 at 7:27ampost #96659 of 1090546/16/14 at 7:31am
Serving no purpose whatsoever, he's not using specialized language to convey more directly complex concepts that would require long explanations (think certain philosophical terms) or even to achieve some sort aesthetic objective, he's just showing off in the lamest way. Orwell must be turning in his grave.post #96660 of 1090546/16/14 at 7:59amfor those looking for side-zips, Markowski have some:
the toe shape is a bit CM tho.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 47 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 1 minute ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 1 minute ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 3 minutes ago
- › How would you like a girl to dress? 9 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 9 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...