Just depends what your expecting? Are you only staying in SF?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on Yesterday at 8:04 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Random fashion thoughts - Page 6442post #96617 of 1090536/15/14 at 12:16amQuote:Originally Posted by Distorbiant
I'll watch those sometime tomorrow.
I don't think the study of something is the equivalent of knowing and understanding the works of notable people. A good writer doesn't need to major in English or take Lit Crit classes to write well, but they do need to read and familiarize themselves with the work of other authors. It's the human way for creators to build upon the movements of the past and the current, studiously or not.
No they don't and neither do designers. Kawakubos gone on record saying she doesn't care to even look at other peoples work because she wants to create something new
Maybe it's not the way you prefer it but not everything has to go the way you prefer it. There's plenty of good artists and writers who willfully ignore large swaths of other good artists and writers past or presents. Not knowing about good art doesn't preclude you from making good art. It just hurts your chances.post #96618 of 1090536/15/14 at 12:51ampost #96619 of 1090536/15/14 at 12:56am
Also there's a fundamental difference between creativity and intellectualized practice. Reading all the good writing in the world won't necessarily make someone a good writer. A great director can also be a film buff but there's no causal relationship between the two despite what it seems. In art at least, the connection between painting and concept; that art is inseparable from ideas, did not appear until impressionism. Before then no one was interested in what artists "thought," let alone believe that knowledge and intellect had anything to do with creativity.post #96620 of 1090536/15/14 at 1:06amEven besides all that, people studying fashion aren't doing it so that you can name drop a designer, throw some adjectives in there and sound like a smarty pants. They're doing it to learn actual things and/or start a career.post #96621 of 1090536/15/14 at 2:12amQuote:
i needed a 'good enough' suit for a conference, ordered three models in my standard size and kept the best which actually fit really well. quality seems very good for the price + free shipping/returns, pretty impressivepost #96622 of 1090536/15/14 at 5:05amQuote:
Why's anyone pretending that it matters anyway? A degree these days (Bachelors or Masters level) is pretty much just teaching you the bare minimum to be considered employable, and even then, that really depends on the subject you're studying.
Sure, there's always the odd student with real talent and a desire for more knowledge, but they're the exceptions.
Most people need a few years of real work experience before they can really start acting like you've got your shit together, a 21 year old graduate just doesn't have the experience yet.post #96623 of 1090536/15/14 at 6:39amMoving on from this, has anybody happened to see some linen cuffed pants/joggers around? I'm thinking like the OL relaxed trousers but with elastic cuffed hems?
I'd appreciate any link ups as I haven't been able to find anything like that yet. Or even just some kind of lightweight tech fabrics might work.
Thanks.post #96624 of 1090536/15/14 at 11:36ampost #96625 of 1090536/15/14 at 11:42am
There are certain people whose business it is to know all about the current trends, where the market is going, finding new stuff, etc... These are stylists, merchandisers, buyers, and less so, technical designers. Even then, a comprehensive knowledge of fashion history doesn't necessarily come into your everyday work.
So, coming next week - sashiko Type III jacket which I think I will paint battleshop grey, or lacquer (probably paint, but I'd the interested in any opinions that I should lacquer the thing instead (a more difficult procedure though, since I'd have to be pretty uniform in application, Visvim Skagways in the blue damask, which are sorta crazy and interesting enough to leave along, and a Giles&Brother cuff, which is a Father's Day gift from my wife and kids to me:
I still like my Common Projects, but it's becoming a little too respectable.post #96626 of 1090536/15/14 at 11:42ampost #96627 of 1090536/15/14 at 11:45amQuote:
not sipang but credited to syeknom
Brussels: Stijl (dries, ann, raf, kva, rick, schneider), Margiela flagship, Privé Joke (universal works, our legacy, howlin', etc), COS, bellerose (used to stock cabourn and engineered garments don't know if they still do), Fillipa K.post #96628 of 1090536/15/14 at 12:23pmQuote:
I have a bracelet like that. When I have it on and put my hands in my pockets, the hook catches on my pants every time I take my hands out. I'm pretty sure it's going to rip my pants one day.post #96629 of 1090536/15/14 at 12:24pmQuote:
When are you there ?
No sales that I'm aware of, Brussels is not that great when it comes to shopping. Go see the Michaël Borremans exhibition @ Bozar (right behind the central station) (unless you're there on Monday when most museums are closed) then you can slowly head downtown to the Dansaert district (20min walk) where you'll find Stijl, Hunting and Collecting etc. The Margiela store is in the same area, just a tiny bit out of the way next to the Saint-Catherine old docks.post #96630 of 1090536/15/14 at 12:36pm
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Rubinacci "...Best Bespoke Tailor on Earth..." article 3 minutes ago
- › 3sixteen Denim Series, Bracelets, Shirts... 3 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 14 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 15 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 16 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 18 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 19 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...