or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 6174

post #92596 of 99743
http://www.amazon.com/Conair-GS7R-Compact-Upright-1200-Watt/dp/B00063QMIA/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1285180250&sr=1-6

This is a good "cheap" option. IIRC Epaulet used to use these in store for quite a while, but I think they use something else now?
post #92597 of 99743

Hmm was hoping for something a little smaller but thanks for the link 

post #92598 of 99743
dont try and steam your shirt whilst wearing it

it hurts
post #92599 of 99743
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentoftruth View Post

Hmm was hoping for something a little smaller but thanks for the link 

I have a friend who travels a lot for work and he says the travel sized ones don't last. I've never tried them myself.
post #92600 of 99743

There's a more complicated conversation to be had re: the meaning behind "heritage" marketing. We're mostly very comfortable with it in the USA, because to most people retro Americana = positive vibes man. But obviously the past was not a better time for everybody, and the desire for a simpler/better time is naive and sometimes dangerous. Likewise the domestic manufacturing movement in the US; the current iteration sees itself as an appeal to quality and maybe fair wages, but it can also be code for less friendly sentiments.

 

Germany is obviously an especially complicated case study... that postcard seems to set Leder's name in fraktur, a typeface eventually outlawed by the nazis, fwiw

post #92601 of 99743
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

assuming any 20th century German picture is automatically some nazi garbage is absurd

franks9.jpg
AK-Schmoelln-Jul-Donath-Knopf-Fabrik-fuer-Steinnuss-Hornknoepfe.jpg

You may notice the different fonts...but surely those don't factor into life's grand semiotic equation. foo.gif
post #92602 of 99743
Shoreman dropping knowledge
post #92603 of 99743

Leder did a whole collection inspired by the writer Joseph Roth and the historical Galicia region of Poland/Austria Hungary (so basically pretty Jewish inspired)

 

http://stylesalvage.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/frank-leder-aw11-galizien-one.html

post #92604 of 99743
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post

There's a more complicated conversation to be had re: the meaning behind "heritage" marketing. We're mostly very comfortable with it in the USA, because to most people retro Americana = positive vibes man. But obviously the past was not a better time for everybody, and the desire for a simpler/better time is naive and sometimes dangerous. Likewise the domestic manufacturing movement in the US; the current iteration sees itself as an appeal to quality and maybe fair wages, but it can also be code for less friendly sentiments.

Germany is obviously an especially complicated case study... that postcard seems to set Leder's name in fraktur, a typeface eventually outlawed by the nazis, fwiw

People seem to give RRL a pass with its "appropriation" of Native American themes and imagery.
post #92605 of 99743
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

dont try and steam your shirt whilst wearing it

it hurts

 

mittiron.gif

post #92606 of 99743
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post


i wrote a post about how the tipping system actually sucks because chefs have it way worse because they work 16 hours a day everyday especially the weekends and they get paid $8/hour while waiters get $25 /hour. the owners can't do shit cuz margins are already tight and waiters don't tip out chefs. you basically make money as a chef only if you own the place. if restaurants took no tips and owners raised prices or owners charged mandatory service charges they could redistribute the money and have more equitable incomes for everybody.

if you think about it 20% of your bill goes to people who take the order and run your food and a small portion of the rest of the bill goes to the people who make your food. and you're not there primarily for the service. you're there for the food

you don't also ever see chefs complain as much as waiters even tho they earn far less and work more

 

Most line cooks don't become servers because they don't have the interpersonal skills required for the job, at least in fine dining. Every restaurant's different but they don't always work longer hours than servers. Of course I felt bad about their low-pay relatively especially for sous chefs who do exactly the same thing as the chef on his two days off, which is standard luxury chef's who own part of the business. In my experience post that chef makes around $1.5M a year and pays his sous chef who works longer hours than him only $70k. These aren't inflation adjusted but I wouldn't be surprised if sous chef's nominal salary's stayed static last 12 years.

post #92607 of 99743
Omfg sitting in a meeting right now and they started talking about restaurants in SF/Vancouver then about tipping

Ffs
post #92608 of 99743
Where in the world do you live in that waiters make 25 an hour? I don't even think the a Ritz pays that much....Stop being cheap, it's part of the business of a sit down restaurant otherwise hit up food trucks or cook your own food.
post #92609 of 99743
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Omfg sitting in a meeting right now and they started talking about restaurants in SF/Vancouver then about tipping

Ffs

oh word?
post #92610 of 99743

He means $25/hr with tips, but that's for like working at Applebees or something. Gettoasty give us the tipping deets.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts