or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 6160  

post #92386 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I drive a BMW and have worn Hugo Boss.


Multiple people on car forums have mentioned that, they have been asked if they were nazis because, they were driving a VW in the US.
post #92387 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Sounds like the Japanese need to brush up on their history.

They're busy pretending things never happened and celebrating war criminals.
post #92388 of 109053
does anyone know more about this jil sander cardigan?


i'm interested in info on season, fit and retail price
post #92389 of 109053
I think the nazi were just more cm



and allied were more sw&d

Edited by canstyleace - 3/4/14 at 3:46pm
post #92390 of 109053
Spope 4th from left.
post #92391 of 109053
post #92392 of 109053
post #92393 of 109053
I'm sending like 30 pounds of clothing to a consigner, and donating probably another 20 pounds. Feels good, man.
post #92394 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

Abasi Rosborough interview is up!

This was awesome to read- I'm gonna grab a pair of their pants soon I think. 

post #92395 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I'm sending like 30 pounds of clothing to a consigner, and donating probably another 20 pounds. Feels good, man.

Is that a lot of clothing or just some really heavy stuff?
post #92396 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTionS View Post

Is that a lot of clothing or just some really heavy stuff?

Both...
post #92397 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

This conversation reminds me of Goodfellas when Henry Hill is on a date and tips every single goddamn person he meets en route to his table at the restaurant. Tip the valet, tip the coat check, tip the matire d, tip the waiter... do we pop into the kitchen and tip everyone there? Dishwashers are important and to be respected in the kitchen 100%, but it has to stop somewhere.

 

 

Used to wait on a high ranking capo and he'd always leave a $100 bill tip for a ~$250 lunch tab of four. But wealthy regulars would often tip the same to the manager or sommelier, hated hearing them brag how much they made sometimes at the end of the night, not that they have it easy but more time to make small talk with people than servers.

 

Long service experience of a three star restaurant. Warned in case it bores you. (Click to show)
 

Very few have the skills and ability to keep a serving job at high end foodie restaurants where tables sell out a month in advance and before online high frequency bot reservations existed. There’s always an intermittent revolving door of new hires who didn't last a week of training, although someone would be personable enough they'd get by for a month or two whenever there was a shortage of established servers.

 

Imagine a dinner shift doors opening at 5:00 where all your tables are filled immediately for three full seatings, sometimes four with people willing to get sat at 11:30 for dinner. Five or six tables in combination of two tops and two to three four to six tops depending how good a server you are. A typical full unhurried menu presentation takes three minutes to explain all options and courses. Forbid one of the guests thinks they can break the course rules or tell the chef to change a dish, and the most stubborn will, but next day the part-owner chef will go off in service meeting as if he’s about to kill someone with his war cry audible over a block away on a busy street. You learn to angle your head slightly to deflect damage to your eardrum. Who says terrorism doesn’t work? The best servers take an order for a five top of four courses without pen and paper, that's 20 different dishes, on a daily changing menu of 70 dishes, with corresponding seat positions to remember for computer entry, not because it was fun to do but writing the order would waste time and more importantly take your peripheral vision away and status awareness of all other tables and their real time needs. Then you learn art of being able to give directions to your back waiter, things like mise en place for another table whose previous course was cleared by someone else's backwaiter, in the middle of taking order on the four to six top right in between one person's complete order and the next without the table even noticing you're multi-tasking other tables or knowing they don't have your full undivided attention. You finish taking your five top order but all three computer terminals are in use by other servers, so you have to do other things for a minute before the data dump which can include taking another order by memory for a two top. Up to 28 dishes total relying on your advanced short term memory skills. Nevermind you only had four hours of sleep last night, the night before that, two nights before, three nights before LOL.

 

If you're unlucky you'll have a table completely carefree of the restaurant being slammed and ask never ending food questions or waffle on their order even though you asked if everyone were ready before committing to taking order. You learn to read these people over time when they sit down so you'll know whether to schedule a food questions chat interaction in between menu presentation and order taking. Usually not a big deal for people in first seating with theater tickets and need out by certain time, but second to fourth seatings different game. Can't spend too much time in one individual table interaction, there's wine bottles waiting at the bar and their wine glasses need primed, or the kitchen just sent out five whole fish simultaneously to present their respective tables before filleting, plating, and serving. Every server and back waiters slammed, the owner and manager each filleting one fish with eyes prowling till they catch you to fillet a fish despite none destined for your tables. The better and faster your filleting skills the more you get "recruited" for what takes at least 90 seconds at the fastest as we timed our filleting races for the biggest fish that first need excavation from an egg white salt encrusted dome. You then learn to recruit the backwaiter of the server whose fish you're filleting to go refill the water glasses on your tables. You notice as you're finishing the fish, one of your tables is ready to order, but there's still another fish on the center table getting cold. The manager, who I was really good friends with, suckers you again without a break but bargains to take the two top order and entry so you have time to fillet and deliver another fish. Really he just wants you to keep an eye on the weak newly trained server he purposely placed next to your station, he knows you'll see and correct what's missing or waiting to be done when you deliver his fish. The manager will always use you to ease his duties, and with tips pooled you have to do the right thing regardless.

 

Basically there's about ten things on your immediate to do list, constantly re-prioritizing real-time for efficiency about every ten seconds, both for yourself and what to relegate your backwaiter. For eight hours straight the restaurant's roaring with noise from tables' conversations, fillet silver clashing, and heavy handed backwaiters lugging bus bins to the back in a 18 foot high ceiling and wood floor reverb chamber. You don't hear yourself think, can barely hear some of your elderly or shy tables ordering, but you maintain zen amidst the multi-task anarchy gauntlet. Tables so close together and the hallways traffic jammed of workers, diners, and people waiting to get sat. One inch the wrong way your tray of cocktails or wine glasses becomes a hole in the matrix. Witnessed it once and server was fired shortly after. Only had one female server last any length of time I remember, with several having near mental breakdowns in the middle of service. Like there's anytime for that in the shift LOL. I almost had a physical exhaustion breakdown after a 112 hour work week once, not including the daily two and half hour commute time. The established service crew was small, like six of us and we were all first generation or mixed immigrants. Indian, Ukrainian, Italian, Japanese, Greek, all in our 20's or early 30's. We only had one competent white American who was old and gay. He moved the slowest naturally but we didn’t mind helping him out. Looking back most young privileged white Americans intelligent enough to work that level were busy making more money in less demanding environments.

 

One of biggest challenges was scheduling your one eight hour pee break in the ever changing must-do-now list of ten plus items. You multi-task down to six things and have a 20 second window to rush the restroom, but the runners will shove two plates in your hand to run them as the kitchen entry is adjacent the restroom hallway. Lose your one opportunity for next hour, with same thing happening two more rescheduling attempts until three hours pass quickly and by 11:00 you find a moment to escape wondering how you managed to hide the pain that long. Of course the owner meets you right outside the restroom hallway at the barista station handing a check book to process with a sheepish who needs a restroom break but can’t say anything look LOL. Then he remembers you had a lunch table stayed all afternoon and didn’t get a meal break since the 10:30am employee meal of semi-rotting fish. You’re dehydrated because you can’t drink water on the floor and no time to schedule a sip in the pastry kitchen downstairs, all the wines you tested during service compounds the problem.

 

Despite the supra martial randori focus required for 14 to 16 hour service shifts, it was still a lot of fun. Daily food and wine tastings with chef, on the good mood days, and sommelier hour before dinner shift, working with other highly intelligent people of great humor sense, no shortage of friendly racist jokes with the diversity. Even learned how to genuinely interact with wealthy but clueless guests instead of putting on a show or faking sincerity. Not their fault they were born to spoiled families. Once in a while you’ll get a young middle class foodie couple come in like a Portlandia skit and show too much exuberance in your presentation, knowledge, and of course the food itself. You want to tell him to relax like the wealthy people around them. A treat when you get other sommeliers or servers in the industry on a rare day off come, dine, and understand the demands of the job, inviting you to their restaurants likewise on your rare day off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #92398 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Burgess View Post


This place rules, I ate there on Saturday and yep no tip. Still this is great info for when I'm in the US.

 

So true, so true.

 

If you haven't, give thatoneguy a PM - good times ensue!

post #92399 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandJ View Post

Long service experience of a three star restaurant. Warned in case it bores you. (Click to show)
 

Very few have the skills and ability to keep a serving job at high end foodie restaurants where tables sell out a month in advance and before online high frequency bot reservations existed. There’s always an intermittent revolving door of new hires who didn't last a week of training, although someone would be personable enough they'd get by for a month or two whenever there was a shortage of established servers.



 



Imagine a dinner shift doors opening at 5:00 where all your tables are filled immediately for three full seatings, sometimes four with people willing to get sat at 11:30 for dinner. Five or six tables in combination of two tops and two to three four to six tops depending how good a server you are. A typical full unhurried menu presentation takes three minutes to explain all options and courses. Forbid one of the guests thinks they can break the course rules or tell the chef to change a dish, and the most stubborn will, but next day the part-owner chef will go off in service meeting as if he’s about to kill someone with his war cry audible over a block away on a busy street. You learn to angle your head slightly to deflect damage to your eardrum. Who says terrorism doesn’t work? The best servers take an order for a five top of four courses without pen and paper, that's 20 different dishes, on a daily changing menu of 70 dishes, with corresponding seat positions to remember for computer entry, not because it was fun to do but writing the order would waste time and more importantly take your peripheral vision away and status awareness of all other tables and their real time needs. Then you learn art of being able to give directions to your back waiter, things like mise en place for another table whose previous course was cleared by someone else's backwaiter, in the middle of taking order on the four to six top right in between one person's complete order and the next without the table even noticing you're multi-tasking other tables or knowing they don't have your full undivided attention. You finish taking your five top order but all three computer terminals are in use by other servers, so you have to do other things for a minute before the data dump which can include taking another order by memory for a two top. Up to 28 dishes total relying on your advanced short term memory skills. Nevermind you only had four hours of sleep last night, the night before that, two nights before, three nights before LOL.



 



If you're unlucky you'll have a table completely carefree of the restaurant being slammed and ask never ending food questions or waffle on their order even though you asked if everyone were ready before committing to taking order. You learn to read these people over time when they sit down so you'll know whether to schedule a food questions chat interaction in between menu presentation and order taking. Usually not a big deal for people in first seating with theater tickets and need out by certain time, but second to fourth seatings different game. Can't spend too much time in one individual table interaction, there's wine bottles waiting at the bar and their wine glasses need primed, or the kitchen just sent out five whole fish simultaneously to present their respective tables before filleting, plating, and serving. Every server and back waiters slammed, the owner and manager each filleting one fish with eyes prowling till they catch you to fillet a fish despite none destined for your tables. The better and faster your filleting skills the more you get "recruited" for what takes at least 90 seconds at the fastest as we timed our filleting races for the biggest fish that first need excavation from an egg white salt encrusted dome. You then learn to recruit the backwaiter of the server whose fish you're filleting to go refill the water glasses on your tables. You notice as you're finishing the fish, one of your tables is ready to order, but there's still another fish on the center table getting cold. The manager, who I was really good friends with, suckers you again without a break but bargains to take the two top order and entry so you have time to fillet and deliver another fish. Really he just wants you to keep an eye on the weak newly trained server he purposely placed next to your station, he knows you'll see and correct what's missing or waiting to be done when you deliver his fish. The manager will always use you to ease his duties, and with tips pooled you have to do the right thing regardless.



 



Basically there's about ten things on your immediate to do list, constantly re-prioritizing real-time for efficiency about every ten seconds, both for yourself and what to relegate your backwaiter. For eight hours straight the restaurant's roaring with noise from tables' conversations, fillet silver clashing, and heavy handed backwaiters lugging bus bins to the back in a 18 foot high ceiling and wood floor reverb chamber. You don't hear yourself think, can barely hear some of your elderly or shy tables ordering, but you maintain zen amidst the multi-task anarchy gauntlet. Tables so close together and the hallways traffic jammed of workers, diners, and people waiting to get sat. One inch the wrong way your tray of cocktails or wine glasses becomes a hole in the matrix. Witnessed it once and server was fired shortly after. Only had one female server last any length of time I remember, with several having near mental breakdowns in the middle of service. Like there's anytime for that in the shift LOL. I almost had a physical exhaustion breakdown after a 112 hour work week once, not including the daily two and half hour commute time. The established service crew was small, like six of us and we were all first generation or mixed immigrants. Indian, Ukrainian, Italian, Japanese, Greek, all in our 20's or early 30's. We only had one competent white American who was old and gay. He moved the slowest naturally but we didn’t mind helping him out. Looking back most young privileged white Americans intelligent enough to work that level were busy making more money in less demanding environments.



 



One of biggest challenges was scheduling your one eight hour pee break in the ever changing must-do-now list of ten plus items. You multi-task down to six things and have a 20 second window to rush the restroom, but the runners will shove two plates in your hand to run them as the kitchen entry is adjacent the restroom hallway. Lose your one opportunity for next hour, with same thing happening two more rescheduling attempts until three hours pass quickly and by 11:00 you find a moment to escape wondering how you managed to hide the pain that long. Of course the owner meets you right outside the restroom hallway at the barista station handing a check book to process with a sheepish who needs a restroom break but can’t say anything look LOL. Then he remembers you had a lunch table stayed all afternoon and didn’t get a meal break since the 10:30am employee meal of semi-rotting fish. You’re dehydrated because you can’t drink water on the floor and no time to schedule a sip in the pastry kitchen downstairs, all the wines you tested during service compounds the problem.



 



Despite the supra martial randori focus required for 14 to 16 hour service shifts, it was still a lot of fun. Daily food and wine tastings with chef, on the good mood days, and sommelier hour before dinner shift, working with other highly intelligent people of great humor sense, no shortage of friendly racist jokes with the diversity. Even learned how to genuinely interact with wealthy but clueless guests instead of putting on a show or faking sincerity. Not their fault they were born to spoiled families. Once in a while you’ll get a young middle class foodie couple come in like a Portlandia skit and show too much exuberance in your presentation, knowledge, and of course the food itself. You want to tell him to relax like the wealthy people around them. A treat when you get other sommeliers or servers in the industry on a rare day off come, dine, and understand the demands of the job, inviting you to their restaurants likewise on your rare day off.



 




Did you work here?

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/02/keith-mcnally-pastis-oral-history.html

Kidding. I logged pretty serious restuarant time, but that was next level. Thanks for writing it up.
post #92400 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

So true, so true.

If you haven't, give thatoneguy a PM - good times ensue!

Wonderbao best restaurant AU

Guy Burgess you're in Melbourne too?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts