or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 5786

post #86776 of 99140
How did most people in developed countries not have libraries?
post #86777 of 99140
I have a good feeling everyone in this discussion has a completely different idea about what's being discussed
post #86778 of 99140
I just found sea monkey porn while searching for Acne and Guidi products together, so I got that little bit of "discoverability" going for me.

foo.gif
post #86779 of 99140
Fok's post too next level thinking
post #86780 of 99140
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Fok's post too next level thinking

 

Sounded like a clear and understandable explanation of some basic principles in e-commerce to me...

post #86781 of 99140
I love this thread. I would buy you all virtual whiskey right now if I could.
post #86782 of 99140

I guess I can consider myself more of a youngster compared to many of the folks here. Anyway, I went from being fine with wearing non-selvage denim, but I guess I can't go back now that I've come to love selvage. Raw denim is rather new to me. I'm actually working on my first pair of raw selvage denim; it's from Naked & Famous. I've learned a lesson, however. I won't be sizing down ridiculously anymore. These jeans are great, but they feel uncomfortable even after weeks of wearing them.

post #86783 of 99140
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

I'm actually saying both of these things:

1) Social discoverability can be really great, and the internet definitely opens this up.  You are going to learn more cool stuff about clothes here then you would from all your offline friends combined (that obviously doesn't go for everyone, but it's generally true).

2) Yeah, you never find the cool history of the Ming dynasty that is randomly placed next to the graphic novels.

 

LAGuy, what you are referring to as "serendipitous" discovery is a very real thing, and you are correct in saying it occurs naturally, in the non-Internet world, by chance--"serenditipitously"--and therefore there has no analog in the world of online advertising where what you see in terms of online advertising is selected based on similarities to and patterns of past interest.

 

I make sure I go to Chapters every week and then "browse" the magazines and books, picking up whatever I see that looks interesting.  I did so today, in fact.  Some idiot misplaced a magazine on hobby yachting in the Current events periodicals today, and I had a great read about the America's Cup.

Nowhere is "serendipitous discovery" more prominent than in music.  I was at the Starbucks attached to the Chapters, and they were playing something very 70s jazzy, which I liked.  I shazamed it.  It was "Pieces of Dreams" by Stanley Turrentine.  I came back and listened to Turrentine on Youtube for hours.  Youtube's recommended links had loads of related Turrentine pieces, other 60s and 70s jazz hits, other saxophonists, etc--what you'd call "social discovery" although this was a solo act.  I had a great evening.

 

When I was in high school, I had a great aunt who sent everyone a Christmas hamper for the holiday season.  In it, she would put a mixture of all sorts of new foods.  In Grade 11, I discovered the dessert known as "halwa", an Arabic tahini-based confection.  I had no clue something like this existed before.  Since then, it's become one of my staples, though finding good halwa is always tricky and few people have heard of it.

 

However--I disagree with you that Trunk Club qualifies as trying to bring serendipitous discovery online.  Just the act of having to tell them what you like for them to assemble the hamper negates the serendipity element of it.  There is most certainly serendipitous discovery in fashion.  It can be something we see someone wearing on the street, or Ryan Gosling wearing in a movie or in a photo in GQ which we looked at because it was on the table at the barber's when we were waiting to get that haircut.

 

Excuse me, but Trunk Club is another idiotic startup with a stupid idea to masquerade selling cheap stuff to a gullible customer as "serendipitous discovery".  It is doomed to failure, just give it time.

post #86784 of 99140
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelyork View Post

 

However--I disagree with you that Trunk Club qualifies as trying to bring serendipitous discovery online.  Just the act of having to tell them what you like for them to assemble the hamper negates the serendipity element of it.  There is most certainly serendipitous discovery in fashion.  It can be something we see someone wearing on the street, or Ryan Gosling wearing in a movie or in a photo in GQ which we looked at because it was on the table at the barber's when we were waiting to get that haircut.

 

Excuse me, but Trunk Club is another idiotic startup with a stupid idea to masquerade selling cheap stuff to a gullible customer as "serendipitous discovery".  It is doomed to failure, just give it time.

I started off by saying that there are lots of different types of discoverability.  I am personally preoccupied with serendipitous and social discoverability, and so I tend to shoehorn things into those categories, but really, Trunk Club falls into a category that distinct, but related to both - the "expert advisor".  The experience is not unlike the experience of having an SA at a good store who picks out pieces for you, and you pick and choose from their more manageable selection.  This was going on offline long before the internet.  Personal shoppers would do the shopping for a client, and then ship a package off to the client.  The client gets the package, keeps what he or she likes, and sends back everything else.  It wasn't a service that I used then, and it's unlikely a service I would use now, mainly because I was a reasonably good stylist myself, and I also love shopping.  However, there were definitely people for whom such a service was useful.  A company like Trunk Club operates in a similar way, except that you don't develop a personal relationship with the person who is servicing you.  

 

I think that the real question is whether there is a sufficient demand for this kind or service to support a company like Trunk Club - i,.e. whether there is a market for this type of service outside of high spenders, for whom this service was normally reserved.  Those shoppers are often extremely picky, but they also have a great deal of loyalty to their service provider and trust in his or her tastes, and pretty much are still the meal ticket for good SAs, all of whom have their jealously guarded client books.  There is a service that actually works pretty well - Birchbox sends samples each month, based on a personal profile, of mostly beauty and fragrance products, and the customer can buy full sized products at their online store.  I assume that they can adapt the sample boxes according to the full-sized purchases as well.  However, the offline analogy to this - the department store or specialty shop beauty bar - is widely used by women (mostly) from a broad range of socio-economic classes.  imo, Trunk Club probably has a tougher road to walk.  But I haven't seen their business model, and the devil is always in the details.

 

@Noctone, incidentally. "curated" stores, like NMWA, or the increasingly intertwined "advertorial", like any Japanese magazine like Men's Ex and No-No, or the feature articles in Mr. Porter, are partial solutions to this type of "expert advice" discoverability.

 

None of these solutions, imo, adequately addresses the issue of seredipitous discoverability on the internet.  A lot of very smart people are stumbling around in the dark, trying to solve this problem, and afaik, the solution has not yet been found.  You are not going to get from NMWA to a place that sells really great pizza.  On a street in NYC, you can easily go from the cool shop that you like, to a nice restaurant, or conversely, from your favorite reataurant, to a really cool store about which you know nothing, and the products of which you had no interest in until the moment that you laid eyes of them (and which you don't even know the names of until someone tells you.)

post #86785 of 99140
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptual 4est View Post



Regarding the second thing you posted about, the wraparound ads are not for the Styleforum Trunk Show that is being held this weekend in New York, but actually for a service called "Trunk Club", where you pay to have a monthly box sent to you with clothes that are pre-selected for you.

I figured that out afterwards, it still doesn't change the fact, that as a non american resident, it's not really an attractive service, due to shipping costs etc.

One thing I noticed on their site, is they don't ask for your build, that sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

The whole box concept isn't a new one, there has been dog boxes (dog treats, toys etc) for years and there's an almost 15ish years old service here, where you can get the seasons organic vegetable, fish and meats, sent to your door every week, it is pretty nice and it comes with recipes so you don't end up with something you don't know how to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Go to your account settings and set the forum to "full width."

Cheers,

Fok.


YES icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #86786 of 99140
This whole idea isn't new. In fact the virtual world had this concept way before it took to life in the real world. If you ever played MMORPGs the pioneers or avatars that started since inception disliked the idea of a store where you can buy things in lieu of grinding and hunting for loot. The whole idea of discoverability became void when cash shops were introduced and avatars started getting geared [dressed] up without any real experience or exposure. It just took the thrill out of finding unique items on your own. In turn, the same pioneers boycotted the cash shop, which led to friction between the developers.

I see similarities here with the backlash and discussion.
post #86787 of 99140
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshoeiswet View Post

Anybody have recs for a relatively cheap white hidden placket dress shirt?

Not sure where you live but if you have a COS store nearby I would go there. Recently picked a nice one from them that also had some elastane mixed in to the fabric which makes the shirt really comfortable.
post #86788 of 99140
thought i'd post this here, i hadn't seen it before. a very comprehensive-looking history of all the various margiela lines plus a brief biography of the man ( i didn't know he was a design assistant to Gaultier..) and some interesting excerpts from statements released by the maison etc.

http://www.thirdlooks.com/2012/11/maison-martin-margiela-reference-guide/#fn57

“We prefer not to interpret our work, preferring to leave that up to others better placed to place our work in an overall context. We all have work that we love, though, possibly regrettably, as a team we have no real connection to the Art world. Fashion is a craft, a technical know-how and not an art. Each world shares an expression through creativity though through very divergent media and processes.”

“To our mind the work of a fashion designer is so different from that of an artist! We usually work in a necessarily more collaborative manner. We present our work twice a year, using the same medium, respecting the same human form, within an industrial framework, using industrial means of production, and having our work translated through the chain of distribution for our work. Artists are freer to determine the medium with which they choose to express themselves, the intervals at which they present their work, the means by which they produce their expression, as well as the way in which it is sold.”

much prefer this kind of stuff to the angsty/romanticised vision that rei seemed to be putting forward in that statement of hers.
Edited by robinsongreen68 - 11/14/13 at 3:45am
post #86789 of 99140
those fuckers who see any ads should install adblock in chrome/ff.

(unless you are browsing from company pc, which means you should not be browsing SF anyway)
post #86790 of 99140
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
thought i'd post this here, i hadn't seen it before. a very comprehensive-looking history of all the various margiela lines plus a brief biography of the man ( i didn't know he was a design assistant to Gaultier..) and some interesting excerpts from statements released by the maison etc.

http://www.thirdlooks.com/2012/11/maison-martin-margiela-reference-guide/#fn57

“We prefer not to interpret our work, preferring to leave that up to others better placed to place our work in an overall context. We all have work that we love, though, possibly regrettably, as a team we have no real connection to the Art world. Fashion is a craft, a technical know-how and not an art. Each world shares an expression through creativity though through very divergent media and processes.”

“To our mind the work of a fashion designer is so different from that of an artist! We usually work in a necessarily more collaborative manner. We present our work twice a year, using the same medium, respecting the same human form, within an industrial framework, using industrial means of production, and having our work translated through the chain of distribution for our work. Artists are freer to determine the medium with which they choose to express themselves, the intervals at which they present their work, the means by which they produce their expression, as well as the way in which it is sold.”

much prefer this kind of stuff to the angsty/romanticised vision that rei seemed to be putting forward in that statement of hers.

really interesting stuff. i think that statement is good. i still have my issues with it though. hah. guess this sort of thing is kind of an obsession for me. it's so hard to draw the line between art and industry. it's like trying to define pornography, i suppose. but reading this i immediately thought of painters' studios back in the day, where a team of people might work on a piece. it was more industrial, i guess, but still defined as art. though it wasn't mass produced, so perhaps that's the difference. but then you have someone like Warhol who had a studio he literally called the Factory where he blurred that line. anyway, still interesting. thanks for posting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts