Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on Yesterday at 6:42 am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:58 am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/20/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5729post #85921 of 10905411/1/13 at 2:37pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #85922 of 10905411/1/13 at 2:38pmpost #85923 of 10905411/1/13 at 2:39pmpost #85924 of 10905411/1/13 at 2:40pmpost #85925 of 10905411/1/13 at 6:26pmAnyone know who makes the Margiela bags?
edit: I figured I'd look in my bag and see if I could dig anything up. All I found was a tag on the side that was imprinted with "Vera Pelle" which means genuine leather, and that it's made in Italy... I'll look some more later, but I haven't found anything online either.post #85926 of 10905411/1/13 at 8:25pmare the MIJ Dior's that much better?
what I can say, is that when I got my 19cm MiI Diors, firstly I was most unimpressed with the hardware. Construction was ok, but rivets and stuff looked fairly cheap, and secondly, damn but if it wasn't all that slim! I actually tapered the whole legs a full inch off the width (2 inches off circumference) just to make them skinny. I'd say the 19cm's definitely fit more like NS's, not NC/PS.post #85927 of 10905411/1/13 at 8:29pmFwiw my 21cms had the same leg opening as my NS while the 19cms were slimmer.
Also not fashion related but does anyone use an iPad or other tablet for ebooks? Textbooks, not novels. Do you like it / how is it compared to an actual textbook?post #85928 of 10905411/1/13 at 9:12pmQuote:
I love how it is compared to an actual textbook. I wish I had an iPad when I was a student. The ability to carry around all your books with you without breaking your back is incredibly useful. I keep all my reference documents organized with Good Reader, it's a wonderful app, syncs with Google Documents. If I need to pull something up on a 20 minute train ride for a quick review on the way to a meeting, I can do so with ease.
The only things points where I feel it doesn't match real textbooks are highlighting (a supported function, but nothing compared to taking an actual pen to the page), if you need to flip around a lot, like referencing an appendix (though you can make this easier with clever bookmarks), and if you absolutely need to look at two documents or textbooks side-by-side.post #85929 of 10905411/1/13 at 10:46pmQuote:
It's possible that she's just not that intelligent. Above average intellect is not a prerequisite for being a good designer.Quote:Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
i have a hard time taking any artistic manifesto like that seriously. even someone who seems to labor on the idea of 'concept' like aitor throup still produces drivel (I was complaining about that in the throup thread). i'd be happier with designers saying things like, "yeah, i just get bored and like to play around with shapes and dimensions until I create something that I personally like and find interesting." i could get behind that. even stuff like that ann quote that floats around about black not being sad and how do you imagine a poet? well, her idea of a poet is kinda goofy to me. i guess she's thinking of shelley lounging on a chair in an opium den somewhere and not wallace stevens in a boring suit in a study in connecticut. anyway, i've gone off the rails here. it's friday.
The concept of the romantic poet may be a bit silly, but it's definitely powerful.Quote:
There is no need to apologize for her. Unless she is playing some elaborate joke, which doesn't really seem to be the case here, she did mean to be serious. Again, just because someone is talented doesn't necessarily mean that they are particularly intelligent or insightful or articulate. She could just be good at making clothes.Quote:Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
i'm exaggerating, but i do think there's often a bit of unnecessary melodrama in Statements. i don't really care, though sometimes I do find myself rolling my eyes a little... (I've produced some of this drivel myself, haha, so I'm certainly not above it) edit: I should add that I don't think Rei's statement is particularly bad. just the part about suffering. but the rest is mostly informative.
Don't back down. I agree with you that her statement is just whackadoodle. It doesn't take away from the fact that she is a very gifted designer. I think that a SZ level investment in the designer as "someone who has something to say" is naive. Clothes are clothes. The people who make make them well are good at making clothes. Doesn't mean that they have any particular talent in anything else. Do you expect that a great violinist is going to tell you the secrets of life? Does David's Beckham's "football intelligence" imply in any way that you should make him your spiritual guide?post #85930 of 10905411/2/13 at 4:04amWhether she's intelligent or not is unrelated to the fact that there is a fan base and eager media ready to consume every empty statement.Quote:
This is strange to hear aren't you commissioning the interview of every designer appreciated around here ? I think it's useless, personally, for the very reasons you've elaborated ....
Edited by zapatiste - 11/2/13 at 5:22ampost #85931 of 10905411/2/13 at 5:57ami used to own mij dior 19cm they are slim compared to even stuff that is called tapered leg i have now. the construction was good even on the hardware. if you read the dior forum it was said that the MII stuff fits bigger.post #85932 of 10905411/2/13 at 11:15amthe postal service should never mark a package's status as "out for delivery" the morning it's scheduled to arrive. then i get all antsy and impatient. instead, they should set the status as "truck ran out of gas" or "fiery crash" or "violent heist, everything stolen, sorry" so that when the package does arrive, it's a pleasant surprise.
in other news: EMS is really fast. wow.post #85933 of 10905411/2/13 at 11:44ampost #85934 of 10905411/2/13 at 11:47am
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Dukesbury: Bespoke Exotic Leather Goods - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › GMTO: Carmina Chocolate Brown Suede Oxford or My Next OneShoe 3 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 4 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 6 minutes ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...