Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 9/28/16 at 6:07pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5729post #85921 of 10905311/1/13 at 2:38pmpost #85922 of 10905311/1/13 at 2:39pmpost #85923 of 10905311/1/13 at 2:40pmpost #85924 of 10905311/1/13 at 6:26pmAnyone know who makes the Margiela bags?
edit: I figured I'd look in my bag and see if I could dig anything up. All I found was a tag on the side that was imprinted with "Vera Pelle" which means genuine leather, and that it's made in Italy... I'll look some more later, but I haven't found anything online either.post #85925 of 10905311/1/13 at 8:25pmare the MIJ Dior's that much better?
what I can say, is that when I got my 19cm MiI Diors, firstly I was most unimpressed with the hardware. Construction was ok, but rivets and stuff looked fairly cheap, and secondly, damn but if it wasn't all that slim! I actually tapered the whole legs a full inch off the width (2 inches off circumference) just to make them skinny. I'd say the 19cm's definitely fit more like NS's, not NC/PS.post #85926 of 10905311/1/13 at 8:29pmFwiw my 21cms had the same leg opening as my NS while the 19cms were slimmer.
Also not fashion related but does anyone use an iPad or other tablet for ebooks? Textbooks, not novels. Do you like it / how is it compared to an actual textbook?post #85927 of 10905311/1/13 at 9:12pmQuote:
I love how it is compared to an actual textbook. I wish I had an iPad when I was a student. The ability to carry around all your books with you without breaking your back is incredibly useful. I keep all my reference documents organized with Good Reader, it's a wonderful app, syncs with Google Documents. If I need to pull something up on a 20 minute train ride for a quick review on the way to a meeting, I can do so with ease.
The only things points where I feel it doesn't match real textbooks are highlighting (a supported function, but nothing compared to taking an actual pen to the page), if you need to flip around a lot, like referencing an appendix (though you can make this easier with clever bookmarks), and if you absolutely need to look at two documents or textbooks side-by-side.post #85928 of 10905311/1/13 at 10:46pmQuote:
It's possible that she's just not that intelligent. Above average intellect is not a prerequisite for being a good designer.Quote:Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
i have a hard time taking any artistic manifesto like that seriously. even someone who seems to labor on the idea of 'concept' like aitor throup still produces drivel (I was complaining about that in the throup thread). i'd be happier with designers saying things like, "yeah, i just get bored and like to play around with shapes and dimensions until I create something that I personally like and find interesting." i could get behind that. even stuff like that ann quote that floats around about black not being sad and how do you imagine a poet? well, her idea of a poet is kinda goofy to me. i guess she's thinking of shelley lounging on a chair in an opium den somewhere and not wallace stevens in a boring suit in a study in connecticut. anyway, i've gone off the rails here. it's friday.
The concept of the romantic poet may be a bit silly, but it's definitely powerful.Quote:
There is no need to apologize for her. Unless she is playing some elaborate joke, which doesn't really seem to be the case here, she did mean to be serious. Again, just because someone is talented doesn't necessarily mean that they are particularly intelligent or insightful or articulate. She could just be good at making clothes.Quote:Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
i'm exaggerating, but i do think there's often a bit of unnecessary melodrama in Statements. i don't really care, though sometimes I do find myself rolling my eyes a little... (I've produced some of this drivel myself, haha, so I'm certainly not above it) edit: I should add that I don't think Rei's statement is particularly bad. just the part about suffering. but the rest is mostly informative.
Don't back down. I agree with you that her statement is just whackadoodle. It doesn't take away from the fact that she is a very gifted designer. I think that a SZ level investment in the designer as "someone who has something to say" is naive. Clothes are clothes. The people who make make them well are good at making clothes. Doesn't mean that they have any particular talent in anything else. Do you expect that a great violinist is going to tell you the secrets of life? Does David's Beckham's "football intelligence" imply in any way that you should make him your spiritual guide?post #85929 of 10905311/2/13 at 4:04amWhether she's intelligent or not is unrelated to the fact that there is a fan base and eager media ready to consume every empty statement.Quote:
This is strange to hear aren't you commissioning the interview of every designer appreciated around here ? I think it's useless, personally, for the very reasons you've elaborated ....
Edited by zapatiste - 11/2/13 at 5:22ampost #85930 of 10905311/2/13 at 5:57ami used to own mij dior 19cm they are slim compared to even stuff that is called tapered leg i have now. the construction was good even on the hardware. if you read the dior forum it was said that the MII stuff fits bigger.post #85931 of 10905311/2/13 at 11:15amthe postal service should never mark a package's status as "out for delivery" the morning it's scheduled to arrive. then i get all antsy and impatient. instead, they should set the status as "truck ran out of gas" or "fiery crash" or "violent heist, everything stolen, sorry" so that when the package does arrive, it's a pleasant surprise.
in other news: EMS is really fast. wow.post #85932 of 10905311/2/13 at 11:44ampost #85933 of 10905311/2/13 at 11:47ampost #85934 of 10905311/2/13 at 11:48ampost #85935 of 10905311/2/13 at 12:07pm
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › Alden Color 8 LWB w/Antique Welt & Edge Model D5511 3 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 6 minutes ago
- › Looking for a home styling expert 6 minutes ago
- › Lanieri Online MTM suits Made in Italy - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 9 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 11 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...