Recent Images In This Thread
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:06 pm in Classic Menswear
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- MARGIELA l PATRIK ERVELL l JIL SANDER l Prorsum l Stephan Schneider Last post on 2/11/11 at 1:49pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 2/23/15 at 4:28pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5729
Styleforum Top Picks
edit: I figured I'd look in my bag and see if I could dig anything up. All I found was a tag on the side that was imprinted with "Vera Pelle" which means genuine leather, and that it's made in Italy... I'll look some more later, but I haven't found anything online either.
what I can say, is that when I got my 19cm MiI Diors, firstly I was most unimpressed with the hardware. Construction was ok, but rivets and stuff looked fairly cheap, and secondly, damn but if it wasn't all that slim! I actually tapered the whole legs a full inch off the width (2 inches off circumference) just to make them skinny. I'd say the 19cm's definitely fit more like NS's, not NC/PS.
I love how it is compared to an actual textbook. I wish I had an iPad when I was a student. The ability to carry around all your books with you without breaking your back is incredibly useful. I keep all my reference documents organized with Good Reader, it's a wonderful app, syncs with Google Documents. If I need to pull something up on a 20 minute train ride for a quick review on the way to a meeting, I can do so with ease.
The only things points where I feel it doesn't match real textbooks are highlighting (a supported function, but nothing compared to taking an actual pen to the page), if you need to flip around a lot, like referencing an appendix (though you can make this easier with clever bookmarks), and if you absolutely need to look at two documents or textbooks side-by-side.
It's possible that she's just not that intelligent. Above average intellect is not a prerequisite for being a good designer.
i have a hard time taking any artistic manifesto like that seriously. even someone who seems to labor on the idea of 'concept' like aitor throup still produces drivel (I was complaining about that in the throup thread). i'd be happier with designers saying things like, "yeah, i just get bored and like to play around with shapes and dimensions until I create something that I personally like and find interesting." i could get behind that. even stuff like that ann quote that floats around about black not being sad and how do you imagine a poet? well, her idea of a poet is kinda goofy to me. i guess she's thinking of shelley lounging on a chair in an opium den somewhere and not wallace stevens in a boring suit in a study in connecticut. anyway, i've gone off the rails here. it's friday.
The concept of the romantic poet may be a bit silly, but it's definitely powerful.
There is no need to apologize for her. Unless she is playing some elaborate joke, which doesn't really seem to be the case here, she did mean to be serious. Again, just because someone is talented doesn't necessarily mean that they are particularly intelligent or insightful or articulate. She could just be good at making clothes.
i'm exaggerating, but i do think there's often a bit of unnecessary melodrama in Statements. i don't really care, though sometimes I do find myself rolling my eyes a little... (I've produced some of this drivel myself, haha, so I'm certainly not above it) edit: I should add that I don't think Rei's statement is particularly bad. just the part about suffering. but the rest is mostly informative.
Don't back down. I agree with you that her statement is just whackadoodle. It doesn't take away from the fact that she is a very gifted designer. I think that a SZ level investment in the designer as "someone who has something to say" is naive. Clothes are clothes. The people who make make them well are good at making clothes. Doesn't mean that they have any particular talent in anything else. Do you expect that a great violinist is going to tell you the secrets of life? Does David's Beckham's "football intelligence" imply in any way that you should make him your spiritual guide?
This is strange to hear aren't you commissioning the interview of every designer appreciated around here ? I think it's useless, personally, for the very reasons you've elaborated ....
Edited by zapatiste - 11/2/13 at 5:22am
in other news: EMS is really fast. wow.
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 13 seconds ago
- › whnay.'s good taste thread 41 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › Random Food Questions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...