Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/4/16 at 3:15pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...
Last edited: 10/22/15
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5627post #84391 of 1090549/24/13 at 7:44pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #84392 of 1090549/24/13 at 7:51pmpost #84393 of 1090549/24/13 at 8:03pmQuote:
I agree with what you've said. However, no one actually lives in a virtual bubble. People have to interact with the people around them, if just simply for survival. There are obviously exceptions (I knew a guy in grad school who became socially anxious to the point where he actually did not leave his apartment) but in general, this is the case. You interact with someone, you influence them, And since you are more like the guy all the way across the country than you would have been twenty or thirty years ago, your influence is more like his than it would have been twenty or thirty years ago. Integrate this across the population, and the influence is homogenized spatially and in time.post #84394 of 1090549/24/13 at 8:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
I don't buy this 'internet equalization' argument. Access to information isn't everything. Information isn't everything. The differences between the very rich and the very poor are statistically greater than ever, and did anyone mention race/ethnicity? Funny that, given that the USA is still so racially divided and if anything those divides are more obvious (probably also because of growing wealth disparities) - see the recent dot-map below. I recall from my last trip to California, the hotel I was put up in, where the guests were all white or non-US Asian, the senior staff were all Asian-American, the cleaners and bar staff, Hispanic-American, and the porters etc. all African-American. Outside of a few particular enclaves, I don't think much bonding is taking place over a common love of bespoke tailoring or even JCrew (and incidentally, pretty much everything on this site could have featured on Things White People Like)... And language more homogenous? You're in LA, right? The city where Spanish is the majority language much as the white ruling class like to pretend that it isn't...
Anyway, enough of the sociology, and back to the mindless enjoyment of consumer stimulation!
I never said that people are bonding. I'm saying the society is becoming more homogenized. Hell, even the heterogeneity is homogenized. Go to Othello, WA. It is a large farming community in Idaho, and as such, there are a lot of Hispanic migrant workers. And their kids. The kids sound and dress pretty close to the way they would in LA. There are "hipsters" at the University of Idaho who would not look out of place in Brooklyn.post #84395 of 1090549/24/13 at 9:26pmpost #84396 of 1090549/24/13 at 11:43pmpost #84397 of 1090549/24/13 at 11:50pmQuote:
And as it happens, they've just put a really-quite-surprisingly-not-terrible new album out...post #84398 of 1090549/25/13 at 5:20ampost #84399 of 1090549/25/13 at 6:11ampost #84400 of 1090549/25/13 at 9:23am
Maybe you just don't know what a prince and lover ought to be now.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)For my 14th birthday, I asked for a copy of Pocket Full of Kryptonitepost #84401 of 1090549/25/13 at 9:58ampost #84402 of 1090549/25/13 at 10:02ampost #84403 of 1090549/25/13 at 10:13ampost #84404 of 1090549/25/13 at 11:08amQuote:Jay Z and Barneys Join Forces for "A New York Holiday"
Hip hop's elder statesman is bringing, in his words, "the slickness, energy, and innovation of New York City" into the enormous collaboration that will include holiday windows, exclusive merchandise from some of the biggest names in fashion and menswear(Balenciaga, Balmain, Lanvin, The Elder Statesman, En Noir, Rick Owens, just to tick off a few), baller essentials like Shawn Carter by Hublot watches and a specially designed Comador humidor, a BNY SCC art gallery installation in the Madison Ave. flagship, and even the store's shopping bags.
What's better is you can feel good dropping big bucks on Jay's luxe gifts as 25% of proceeds from the "A New York Holiday" merch goes to to the Shawn Carter Foundation. Look for the Jay takeover to begin November 20th.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Balenciaga leather backpack
Balmain print scarf
Stutterheim raincoat with gold buttons
The Elder Statesman black and ivory colorblock cashmere blanket
Read More http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2013/09/more-on-that-jay-z-and-barneys-holiday-swag.html#ixzz2fvf0YD6k
Hoorsenbuhs 18 karat gold ringpost #84405 of 1090549/25/13 at 11:34amkinda in the same vein...
"Odin is marching into chillier days with a capsule collection touting exclusive product from a number of menswear favorites. The store worked closely with AC Canterelli, Alex Mill, Common Projects, Engineered Garments, Mark McNairy, Rag & Bone, and Todd Snyder on developing a unique assortment dubbed the Odin Exclusive Collection.
Pieces from the collection will filter into stores over the coming weeks. First up is the seven piece Rag & Bone delivery, which is now available at all three Odin shops, as well as their online store. Outerwear, shirting, and trousers from the beloved brand are available, and everything was made in the USA."
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
Currently, there are 1218 Active Users (341 Members and 877 Guests)
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 39 seconds ago
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 42 seconds ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 3 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 3 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 6 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 8 minutes ago
- › Smoking Jacket, Dinner Jacket question 9 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 10 minutes ago
- › feragamo used white loafers (buying Decision) 13 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...