or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 5595

post #83911 of 99828
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

I'm glad you brought up Clarks DB, and in this context too. I've been thinking about them recently (never owned a pair) on the basis that they might be the best warm-weather travel shoe. I like to pack light, so if I can get away with only bringing one pair of shoes (and maybe sandals or espadrilles for the beach/pool), that's what I want to do. Thinking about Costa Rica, some Clarks DB in suede would have been perfect, I suppose except for the part when it rained. But they're not that expensive, so if they get a bit beaten up (or stolen in Ibiza, or whatever), it wouldn't be a big deal; I wouldn't be ruining a pair of Aldens (which I also considered -- the suede chukka). Also the crepe sole is probably better for stomping around third world country terrain than an Alden leather sole anyway.

My alternatives would be the MMM GATs and CPs I already have. The CPs are pretty good for a day's worth of walking but the MMMs, while more comfortable initially, don't hold up all day long.

Talk me out of it? I know Clarks DB were really popular on the forum sometime around 2008 and have largely fallen out of favor since, and they're "imperialist rapist boots" and whatever, but I think they probably fit with the rest of what I wear and might just be the most versatile shoe for my warm-weather vacationing.

Get some. They will be exactly as you described. Comfortable, lightweight, inexpensive and easy to mix in w/ (what I know of) your travel wardrobe. Plus they work well sockless (for the most part.) Only real drawbacks are crepe sole/suede combo sucks in the rain and they aren't the most ankle supportive/traction granting set-up, so if "hiking" means real dirt trails, rock scrambling, etc, they may fall short. If it means exploring cobbled streets, dirt paths to the beach, markets and what not, they'll be fine.

No one wants to thrash/lose/have stolen a pair of expensive shoes, whether they are Alden or MMM or whatever. DB's fir the bill perfectly.
post #83912 of 99828
Gdl's new store looks like it'll have some pretty great stuff. All kopped out for a while though, so probably won't be able to afford much when it comes online.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/358758/no-man-walks-alone-official-affiliate-thread

Suiting + that hand made shirt. inlove.gif
post #83913 of 99828
Ugh i've been looking through my wardrobe and found like 8 things that don't fit me/I don't see myself wearing, looks like it's time for a massive Sufu sales thread
post #83914 of 99828
can't wait for greg's store will be copping shit fosho
post #83915 of 99828
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

Gdl's new store looks like it'll have some pretty great stuff. All kopped out for a while though, so probably won't be able to afford much when it comes online.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/358758/no-man-walks-alone-official-affiliate-thread

Suiting + that hand made shirt. inlove.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

can't wait for greg's store will be copping shit fosho

Spent my evening reading all 400+ posts (357 of which are some form of "Good Luck" or "Nice Stuff"), and it looks like it will be a fantastic site. That said, I really wonder how much of the stuff will be "affordable". I know that GDL has talked about having a variety of stuff for different walks of life, but suits for $2k, dress shoes for $800, and sweaters for $500 is pretty steep.
post #83916 of 99828
Isn't that pretty much the cost threshold for most quality CM clothing? If you look at stores like the Armoury, that's pretty in line with what's to be expected. Will probably buy one of those next level handmade shirts, just to see in person.
post #83917 of 99828
Ball or fall skipp brah
post #83918 of 99828
I don't even care about CM and hopefully never will but Greg's site looks seriously awesome
post #83919 of 99828
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

Isn't that pretty much the cost threshold for most quality CM clothing? If you look at stores like the Armoury, that's pretty in line with what's to be expected. Will probably buy one of those next level handmade shirts, just to see in person.

cost threshold for most quality CM clothing only if you buy things at retail. if you're a SFer you look for items 70% off then lowball and ask for 90% off.
post #83920 of 99828

who makes nice long fairly slim knits? Cos? mystery yoox brands?

post #83921 of 99828
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post
 

 

That fallacy really doesn't apply to biology.  You can apply the same evolutionary adaptiveness principles to all sorts of things, such as food (i.e. people everywhere eating traditional meals are overwhelmingly healthier than those eating a industrialized Western diet, leading to the conclusion that "natural" diets and whole foods are better, at least until we can figure out why), sleep patterns, even weight training (barbell training is far more effective than machine training because it runs the body through its most "natural" range of motion).

 

Heavily-padded shoes absorb shock from impact.  Barefoot, that shock would be distributed throughout the leg, and primarily absorbed by the knee, so if you have knee issues the padding is a good thing.  For a lot of people, though, the padding can also screw up your gait when running or walking (if you heel-strike while running, a pretty easily solution is to switch to a shoe like the Free or go barefoot) and prevents a lot of the smaller stabilizer muscles in the foot from doing much of anything.

 

I'm not really saying that everyone should go without shoes, just to be careful of those running shoes with like an inch of padding.  Just because it feels squishy and comfy standing still in the store doesn't mean it's better for you.

 

Edit: I'm also totally biased because I studied evolutionary anthropology as one of my majors in undergrad.

 

Seems like a lot of broscience, honestly. Exercise advice is one of the softest fields of knowledge out there. I'm not saying you are wrong or right, I just don't think approaching the subject in such certainty--nor appealing to nature--is the right argument to take here. It's a closed argument for an open, grey topic of debate.

 

After all, it's a fact that shoes increase top level athletic performance.

post #83922 of 99828
I hate split toes but seriously considering the vass scotch norwegers.

The shirts are very reasonable but they are proper formal shirts. Don't care bout no knits.
post #83923 of 99828
for hating split toes you're going with about as pronounced a split toe as there is. really like my AE delrays (7y+, 2 resoles and still going)
post #83924 of 99828
My name is on a pair of the 43s. biggrin.gif
post #83925 of 99828
thats my f last size buddy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts