Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on Yesterday at 12:54 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5565post #83461 of 1090539/1/13 at 3:51pmpost #83462 of 1090539/1/13 at 4:04pmIt's interesting that he would associate cleanliness and blackness. I suppose he means the cleanness of the silhouette or perhaps just clean in the sense of simple and uncluttered?
The traditional color of cleanliness is, of course, white, because it shows dirt so easily. Black is often associated with dirtiness because dirt doesn't show on black as easily.post #83463 of 1090539/1/13 at 4:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
It's interesting that he would associate cleanliness and blackness. I suppose he means the cleanness of the silhouette or perhaps just clean in the sense of simple and uncluttered?
The traditional color of cleanliness is, of course, white, because it shows dirt so easily. Black is often associated with dirtiness because dirt doesn't show on black as easily.
Colour associations are not universal, for example white is the traditional colour of mourning in Japan. Japanese courtiers would dye their teeth black etcetc.post #83464 of 1090539/1/13 at 4:12pmQuote:
Interesting. Clearly color associations vary (my favorite example is that pre-WWII pink was associated with baby boys, not girls) but it surprises me somewhat that black would be associated with cleanliness.post #83465 of 1090539/1/13 at 4:18pmWhite is also the traditional mourning color in China. It actually has that association in the west as well, though that is largely forgotten, except in the use of Lilies at funerals and wakes.
There do seem to be metallics which have universal cultural significance though, for obvious reasons.post #83466 of 1090539/1/13 at 4:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by LA Guy
White is also the traditional mourning color in China. It actually has that association in the west as well, though that is largely forgotten, except in the use of Lilies at funerals and wakes.
There do seem to be metallics which have universal cultural significance though, for obvious reasons.
Yeah couple of SE asian countries share that trait AFAIK. This would lead me to believe it originated in China, the country having had such an important cultural influence on its neighbors. I've never looked into it TBH.post #83467 of 1090539/1/13 at 4:30pmpost #83468 of 1090539/1/13 at 4:33pmpost #83469 of 1090539/1/13 at 4:35pmpost #83470 of 1090539/1/13 at 5:00pmpost #83471 of 1090539/1/13 at 5:37pmAll you people who bought those Barena cardigans should meet up and do the following-- set up a fire pit in the middle of some semi public place and mutter incantations (Yoox Barena! Yoox Barena! ) while opening and closing your knits like batwings. Then dance around the fire for a while before quickly dispersing.post #83472 of 1090539/1/13 at 9:33pmpost #83473 of 1090539/1/13 at 9:44pmQuote:
It's not all that hard to take decent photos, to have basic info like prices and measurements. I took a quick look through the Golden Bear and Vanson websites, and they're pretty f'n bad. Aero, OTH, does a great job of making their jackets look good and seem amazing.
Thurston Bros website seems enthusiastic but not at all geared to either the fashunz or otaku market. Doesn't really seem like they want to sell anything online. Compared to, say, History Preservation, there is little to no info on the jacket you're contemplating spending $1k+ on. If a shop owner is going to have a website, he/she ought to figure that people want to know what they're buying into.post #83474 of 1090539/1/13 at 9:56pmI think what you are describing as more to do with user interface, which involves a good eye and some common sense. What I meant, and to my understand what Fok pointed out is the lack of PR / marketing campaign in communicating to the public of the store and its goods. Hence, I was talking about the need for someone whether internally or a 3rd party that is the creative and design team, PR to get your message, and method of approach (medium) in how to 'show' shoppers.
The best example is the webstore Cruivoir (see "Sales Thread") in which they are marketing like crazy but the user interface really lacks. In this case its really a lose-lose situation because no thought went into creating and designing a web that is user friendly. Everything sort of backfired. They tried to be overly creative, but it actually became more of a problem. They actually also went through several phases of a re-design, but it seems they are pretty stubborn in sticking to the same layout. To the point, there is a method to market the goods on a platform, but just as important is getting your voice out there and be recognized.post #83475 of 1090539/1/13 at 10:15pm
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 21 seconds ago
- › Eidos Napoli 1 minute ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 3 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 5 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 9 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE NOVEMBER December 2nd CORDUROY 9 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...