I think I may have read somewhere that It had an impact, but it's possible I've mixed it up with some other movie
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/4/16 at 3:15pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...
Last edited: 10/22/15
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5455post #81811 of 1090547/24/13 at 7:49am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #81812 of 1090547/24/13 at 7:49am
Do you think any movies had a particularly strong influence, rather than being influenced by, or being a caricature of the style at the time?
I suppose Back to the Future 2 had those nikes released eventually. Still no hoverboard though...post #81813 of 1090547/24/13 at 8:05amQuote:
people have always mocked what they see in music and movies. I suppose there is a two way dialogue to some degree, but in general what's "real" is coming up from the street...music, skaters....and of course the thousand points of German Army Trainer light around the world created right here on our own little corner.post #81814 of 1090547/24/13 at 8:19amUnless I'm understanding wrong, I don't think it's fair to say people always mock what they see in music and movies. EDIT: Duh, you meant 'mock' as in mimic. Hah.
As for movies, La Haine has had a big influence on some current designers. It was part of the inspiration for one of Siki Im's collections. Not streetwear, but Gattaca seems to be a reference point that comes up a bunch. Miharayasuhiro seems to reference Japanese gangster movies sometimes, though I don't know enough to point to any specific one. I'm sure someone who knows more could come up with a bunch of examples.post #81815 of 1090547/24/13 at 8:43amI would guess that influence/d is hard to separate. You could watch Diva (1981), one of the most stylish films of all time, along with La Haine, or the Fifth Element (JpG did the costumes). Most everything that's cinema du look. Or, like P4 said, a whole lot of Japanese gangster movies that I know nothing about.post #81816 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:09ampost #81817 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:11ampost #81818 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:17amwhat about mainstream fashion industry -> costume designers for films ?
yohji did a few... (Click to show)Outrage Beyond
2009 Angelo, tyran de Padoue (TV movie)
2003 The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi <-- good one
2002 Jane Birkin: Arabesque (video documentary)
2000/I Brother <-- too violent for my tastes but cool suits ;-)
1995 Tristan und Isolde (TV movie)
1988 Jean-Michel Jarre Destination Docklands (TV movie)Quote:
much as i liked it, it really was a very exaggerated take on the banlieu there, to the point that many people didn't appreciate how they'd been portrayed.post #81819 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:29amI have no idea what streetwear means at this point. Seems to mean something specific in Japan and here in the U.S. it's just kind of a generic catch-all. Might be my misunderstanding though. I dunno. I hear people here using the distinctions "designer" and "contemporary" much more.
I got another one: Tim Burton's Batman.
Kidding. Though there is this look in Undercoverism FW12.post #81820 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:33ampost #81821 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:42amthere are many layers within cinema i think. maybe the outfit worn can give an impact, but even more so the atmosphere, the attitude.. if you just wanna see nice clothes on film, i can say those mc people are dying to be mistaken as bond.. other movies in that vein would be marcelo mastroianni films, and i like the mood of le samourai and tinker tailor soldier spy. i saw one asian, probably hk, film that is impossibly stylish. like a movie full of labelking. didnt know the name though.post #81822 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:45ampost #81823 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:52am
If this is purely from a research standpoint, and not because you're looking for men's style inspiration - hear me out - Clueless is a prime example of what your initial question was asking about. I can't find the interview where I had read it, but apparently girls didn't dress like that (and barely any even talked like that) until the movie came out, and it was such a huge success that it really changed the direction of mainstream girl's fashion for a few years there. It was like a conscious decision to create a new style entirely for the universe that it took place in.post #81824 of 1090547/24/13 at 9:55amThanks for the suggestions everyone, I should probably clear up what I'm getting at though.
@Synthese, never knew that he did the costumes for the Fifth Element, damn.
I probably worded it wrong, but it's probably more clarifying to give an example. Like when Marlon Brando wore a t shirt in A Streetcar Named Desire, suddenly t shirts became worn more and by itself. I was trying to see what other films, especially more modern ones, have similar consequences but was having trouble thinking of any.Quote:Originally Posted by conceptual 4est
If this is purely from a research standpoint, and not because you're looking for men's style inspiration - hear me out - Clueless is a prime example of what your initial question was asking about. I can't find the interview where I had read it, but apparently girls didn't dress like that (and barely any even talked like that) until the movie came out, and it was such a huge success that it really changed the direction of mainstream girl's fashion for a few years there. It was like a conscious decision to create a new style entirely for the universe that it took place in.
Yep, exactly what I was getting at, with it being inline with my taste in clothing as a slight plus.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 1 minute ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 2 minutes ago
- › The beginnings of a shoe collection 3 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 4 minutes ago
- › Neckties: A Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Things your dumb friends post on facebook 8 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...