or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 5429

post #81421 of 99862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabonator View Post

Tonight I'm having my first proper solo gig. Playing piano for a couple hours at a seaside restaurant's porch in my hometown. Pretty stoked. Gonna record the whole thing and hopefully get some material to put up on YouTube.

Good luck. I'm surprised you weren't already playing gigs with your repertoire.
post #81422 of 99862
Hey, congratulations. I'm sure you'll kick ass and take names (tips).
post #81423 of 99862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat View Post

Good luck. I'm surprised you weren't already playing gigs with your repertoire.

Never really put myself out there in any way. I'm here for the summer and the first time I went there this year the owner recognized me and asked if I wanted to come play some time. I've been doing gigs in the music school, accompanying singers, playing with a band, that sort of stuff. My solo performances have been mostly when I was younger and was still playing classical.
post #81424 of 99862
Anyone in australia want to proxy something for me? shoot me a pm
post #81425 of 99862
I really hope you get someone to proxy that jacket for you, would be so awesome
post #81426 of 99862
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin View Post

Maybe not as much these days, but yes, there have been a few folks who've done it as a job (they're usually located to nicer outlets).

A lot of people still do this, and with a great deal of success. Some power sellers have incurred our wrath by not following our rather simple rules, and have paid their $500+ fine immediately, just so their flow is not broken. This is mostly in CM. It doesn't take too many $1000 suits or $100 ties or $600 shoes sold to turn a tidy revenue stream. (Incidentally, the + is an annoyance surcharge. If you have clearly broken the rules, and we've warned you even once, or if you have broken the rules, and you come back with an excuse like "I didn't read the rules", or "other people seem to be doing the same thing", you can expect that I'm going to tack another $250 to your fine, for making me have to read your bullshit.)

I see nothing wrong with this when the source is a brick and mortar, since this is a real service. If you live in NYC, sure, you could probably go to the sales yourself, but there are a lot of people who simply do not have the time to do this, and even a greater number who just don't have access. It's a lot easier than calling IF boutique or whatever stores doesn't have a big webstore, and asking a bunch of questions about inventory which they may or may not have. I also don't begrudge them a decent markup. Resellers are taking significant risk and do incur overhead, in time, inventory held, and if they also post on Ebay, listing and final value fees.

On the other hand, I think that people who do this with online sales are scumbags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAngel View Post

on the other hand, there are also industry insiders, stylists, assistants and reviewers that acquire many pieces for free, sample and retail, and make a side job of selling to places in l.a. like wasteland, crossroads, bufallo exchange, flea markets and ebay and these sites. Nothing wrong with that even if they are making 100% profit. 

I see no issue with this either.
post #81427 of 99862
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

A lot of people still do this, and with a great deal of success. Some power sellers have incurred our wrath by not following our rather simple rules, and have paid their $500+ fine immediately, just so their flow is not broken. This is mostly in CM. It doesn't take too many $1000 suits or $100 ties or $600 shoes sold to turn a tidy revenue stream. (Incidentally, the + is an annoyance surcharge. If you have clearly broken the rules, and we've warned you even once, or if you have broken the rules, and you come back with an excuse like "I didn't read the rules", or "other people seem to be doing the same thing", you can expect that I'm going to tack another $250 to your fine, for making me have to read your bullshit.)

I see nothing wrong with this when the source is a brick and mortar, since this is a real service. If you live in NYC, sure, you could probably go to the sales yourself, but there are a lot of people who simply do not have the time to do this, and even a greater number who just don't have access. It's a lot easier than calling IF boutique or whatever stores doesn't have a big webstore, and asking a bunch of questions about inventory which they may or may not have. I also don't begrudge them a decent markup. Resellers are taking significant risk and do incur overhead, in time, inventory held, and if they also post on Ebay, listing and final value fees.

On the other hand, I think that people who do this with online sales are scumbags.

I don't agree with this at all. If somebody pays X and another person is willing to pay Y > X from the first person that acquired the item, then the products were priced inefficiently to begin with and the initial purchaser is taking advantage of a market arbitrage reflecting this inefficiency. If the final purchaser wanted the item at price X they should have devoted more of their own resources to accomplishing this. Instead, they those to value their time more than their money and their actions reflect this.
post #81428 of 99862
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin View Post

Maybe not as much these days, but yes, there have been a few folks who've done it as a job (they're usually located to nicer outlets).


Made like 30k or something over a year or 2 when I was 15 or 16 doing this with lots of very high end menswear.

I'm either spending 4 hours on a bus to oxford at 5am to get there early or wasting my holiday in NY at century 21 to acquire the goods. Spending a few hours measuring, taking photos, answering questions. You have to deal with ridiculous complaints, i've had someone complain to me that I had sold him an unfinished suit, because it had those huge white stitches in the shoulders and cuffs you get in high end suits the tailor is supposed to remove and try demand back the $600 he paid for it. People also never read the measurements and just buy shit on its tagged size and then bitch when it doesn't fit. You have to outlay several grand to buy all of the clothes (have to pay the profits of stock nam sayin) and not everything is returnable so you're out money if you can't sell it. Why would I not mark my prices up for having to do that and why wouldn't I ask for as much money as I possibly can, it's not like the people who want to buy this stuff are going to be able to buy it if I don't buy it to resell it. I'm creating a market and I should be compensated for that.
Edited by fuji - 7/13/13 at 1:11pm
post #81429 of 99862

hah

post #81430 of 99862
@ fuji, selling clothes to picky people sounds like the world's biggest pain in the ass, charge whatever premium you can get.
post #81431 of 99862
I admit that I fall for that Lanvin hype.
post #81432 of 99862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLester View Post

@ fuji, selling clothes to picky people sounds like the world's biggest pain in the ass, charge whatever premium you can get.


It's actually it's way easier selling to MC people then to SW&D or SUFU people, can't imagine anyone making any money or keeping their sanity doing street wear. Generally they're middle aged and professional so they have the money to buy what i'm selling and because they are very picky they know they definitely want what they're buying. Theres something about MC clothes that just lends itself better to internet selling then sw&d stuff. Probably because the fits are all much more standardized, if you have the right measurements you know what it will fit like. Selling some weird as fuck margiela piece to a kid in the midwest whose really stretching his budget and therefore has a lot of doubt in his purchase, has never seen the piece in real life so he doesn't have any idea how it will actually fit him and who is probably more wiling to fuck me over has a lot higher probability to go badly. Also there's not as much demand for sw&d clothes, most people who want that shit are college kids, I couldn't off load margiela at 75% off they want 90% off with free shipping and for me to pay the 4% paypal fees, theres no room for profit. I could sell black label suits with no pictures, no measurements at 500% mark up. Used to find purple label shit at like 95% off.
post #81433 of 99862
I should know better than to list something "or best offer" on ebay
post #81434 of 99862
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonadejello View Post

I should know better than to list something "or best offer" on ebay
My wife and kids have yard sales sometimes . Its amazing to watch some one try to talk you down on a 25 cent waffle iron
post #81435 of 99862
Quote:
Originally Posted by artishard116 View Post

Anyone in australia want to proxy something for me? shoot me a pm

There's a guy in the Nike thread asking for proxy from US to Australia. mwink[1].gif

http://www.styleforum.net/u/62347/nabilmust
Edited by Find Finn - 7/13/13 at 2:21pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts