ah ackermann no wonder
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/4/16 at 3:15pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...
Last edited: 10/22/15
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5412post #81166 of 1090547/2/13 at 8:13pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #81167 of 1090547/2/13 at 8:45pmpost #81168 of 1090547/2/13 at 9:54pmpost #81169 of 1090547/2/13 at 9:59pmpost #81170 of 1090547/2/13 at 10:55pmpost #81171 of 1090547/2/13 at 11:37pmpost #81172 of 1090547/3/13 at 12:47ampost #81173 of 1090547/3/13 at 5:37ampost #81174 of 1090547/3/13 at 6:29ampost #81175 of 1090547/3/13 at 7:40ampost #81176 of 1090547/3/13 at 9:49ampost #81177 of 1090547/3/13 at 10:49ampost #81178 of 1090547/3/13 at 10:50ampost #81179 of 1090547/3/13 at 10:51ampost #81180 of 1090547/3/13 at 10:54amQuote:Originally Posted by g transistor
Great post, wish you remembered more,
I dunno if anyone else fell into the horrible goth/bad punk/metal stuff in middle school and high school, but to me it's almost an exact reflection of what you said. The clothing wasn't "fashunz" back then of course, but it was still all about trying to portray a certain image. I know at least for me and a lot of the kids I knew, we weren't exactly popular and being picked on/insulted wasn't out of the norm. But when you wore those dorky big ass black pants with black straps and studded wristbands and eyeliner or whatever, kids didn't really bother you as much and pretty much avoided you. And like you said, it was very much a mixture of being frightening and frail, mixing "hardcore badass" stuff with things that were more feminine like nail polish, make up, skin tight jeans. Less frail in the medical sense, but frail imagery nonetheless for males.
I was never way too into dressing like that, but I hung out with a lot of people who did. I guess that's why I like Undercover so much... to me it's really kind of an earnest look, you know? Like the stuff he does looks goofy but really cool at the same time, easy to wear and lends lends itself to not be taken so seriously. It's like streetwear at its finest— lookin both like a dweeb and a cool bro at the same time. It's fun.
Cool, glad to hear you guys liked it. As I mentioned, I really do wish I had remembered more because there was a lot of interesting stuff. I like these kinds of discussions.
what gtrain brings up is important though - we (and a lot of the West, w/r/t fashion) tends to look to Japan for what's cool, and have for a very long time, so it's funny that while a lot of us would roll our eyes at their American counterparts, can find such inspiration in what is essentially the same type of clique.
At the same time though, I feel like not too many people could find much to like about the middle-america Hot Topic mall-goth that we're used to seeing. To me it was like a combo of really bad Vivian Westwood (there she is again!) knockoffs styled with novelty tees and bad jewelry and makeup. It made it really easy to just dismiss those kids, but maybe that's what they wanted (we always assumed it was actually attention though)
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
- › End of Bills Khakis 1 minute ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › REEVES OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD 5 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 5 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 7 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 7 minutes ago
- › BNWT $2490 ADRIANO & SONS GRAY FLANNEL SUITS 54EU/44 42US Made by... 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...