Yeah Edward Green thread had a mini discussion where they went off discussing $300k watches as if they were chump change
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 10/16/15 at 7:58am in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...
Last edited: 10/22/15
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn OuterwearLast edited: 9/8/15
- Shirt Jackets: A Study in IndecisionLast edited: 9/8/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5402post #81016 of 1090546/30/13 at 10:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #81017 of 1090546/30/13 at 10:31pmpost #81018 of 1090546/30/13 at 10:40pmpost #81019 of 1090546/30/13 at 10:50pmpost #81020 of 1090546/30/13 at 11:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by mer6
Watches are a little bit more expensive of a hobby than clothes. I mean think of the price grade of the entire outfit of someone who's ballin outrageous... suit, leathers, whatever, we're talking $20k tops unless they're just trying to bleed cash for no reason.
Now the price grade of the more inexpensive high-end watches starts at about $10k. In terms of in-house markets only (I'm not going to get into discussion of mark-ups on watches that don't use in-house movements) $5-10k will not even buy you a lower end Patek. It'll get you a Glashutte Original, an in-house Jaeger LeCoulture, or an in-house Cartier. $10k will get you a Rolex.
These watches are the entry level of the high-end in-house market. Add serious complications like perpetual calendar, tourbillon, repeater, and suddenly you've stumbled into the 5-6 figure range, for one watch. The people who are into high-end watches as a hobby have to be comfortable dropping $20-50k on a standard piece, $100k+ on something special. To be willing to spend that kind of money, you're probably well into the very-wealthy-$20k-is-a-drop-in-the-bucket territory. This obviously isn't everyone, but it probably covers most. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's super cool and I love watches to death, but the market and costs are insane.
For those of you not familiar with haute horology, I encourage you to look up bleeding edge companies like Greubel Forsey, Richard Mille, DeWitt. The rabbit hole goes deep. And don't skimp, check out Vimeo videos that show the assembly of some of these watches (especially ones with tourbillons).
Rich old white dudes gotta waste money on something.post #81021 of 1090546/30/13 at 11:28pmpost #81022 of 1090547/1/13 at 3:00amWhen I think of the heavyweights in the WAYWT thread, most of these folks post fits consistently in one aesthetic. In some cases, e.g. Regis or mello, their fits consist mostly of a single designer. In my mind, I admire this consistency, and it is probably the result of years of experimentation and evolution of tastes. In practice, I find this extremely difficult to implement. Some days, I feel like wearing a TOJ leather, white tee, denim, and some sneaks. Other days I want to wear a black overcoat with black derbies, also minimalist I suppose. When i feel lazy, I throw on some W+H sweats. And then there are days when I wear a brown herringbone jacket layered under a mountain parka with some Acorn stows.
To move forward, do I need to discipline myself and pick one (or two), or can one improve even with this sometimes confusing range?post #81023 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:15am
Your taste will always change and evolve, no matter if you dress in primarly one brand or mix from several.
And whether you think so or not, I guarantee you will improve just by staying interested
And look I totally get your question since I've asked myself pretty much the exact same thing atleast a dozen times, but even though I haven't really thought of it that much, I've noticed that I'm narrowing down the range of styles that are my favorites and that will work together step by step (now I just need to get a job so I have some actual money for further development )
totally unrelated: my bandwidth speed changed from 8 mb/s to 0,2 mb/s about a week ago which sucked, but then it changed to 25 mb/s this morningpost #81024 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:16ampost #81025 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:20ampost #81026 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:23am
Haha. I love Queen. "It's Late" is so triumphant. "'39" is a genuinely moving ballad about space travel. Not to mention the hits. Freddie Mercury was so unapologetic about who he was. He was awesome. And the whole band was so good!post #81027 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:28ampost #81028 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:30ampost #81029 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:30ami think it's interesting to see what other internet fashion communities are into, even if they're not totally in line with the interests of people here?
Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that?
After all, everybody knows that people who don't share our tastes and goals are not worth paying attention to.post #81030 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:39amQuote:Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
i think it's interesting to see what other internet fashion communities are into, even if they're not totally in line with the interests of people here?
Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that.
I was just wondering why you think it's worth it, considering 95% of the photos in the "best of" is pretty standard stuff that we get here, daily even. You post a lot about r/mfa, and I just don't understand why. It's a cool community for people just getting interested in fashion, but like all the specialized subreddits, it's merely skimming the top of really interesting stuff and really offers very little to discuss. What's interesting to you about any of that? Why not post stuff from SuFu or SZ, which are both pretty different from SF looks. And I'm not being trying to be snarky here.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn Style
- › THANKSGIVING UPDATE! DOZENS OF HANDMADE SHOES -- BALLY, FERRAGAMO,... 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 5 minutes ago
- › Best Suits Under $800 6 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread (Pictures, reviews,... 7 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 8 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 8 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 10 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 10 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories