Yeah Edward Green thread had a mini discussion where they went off discussing $300k watches as if they were chump change
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/20/16 at 7:32am in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5402post #81016 of 1090546/30/13 at 10:26pmpost #81017 of 1090546/30/13 at 10:31pmpost #81018 of 1090546/30/13 at 10:40pmpost #81019 of 1090546/30/13 at 10:50pmpost #81020 of 1090546/30/13 at 11:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by mer6
Watches are a little bit more expensive of a hobby than clothes. I mean think of the price grade of the entire outfit of someone who's ballin outrageous... suit, leathers, whatever, we're talking $20k tops unless they're just trying to bleed cash for no reason.
Now the price grade of the more inexpensive high-end watches starts at about $10k. In terms of in-house markets only (I'm not going to get into discussion of mark-ups on watches that don't use in-house movements) $5-10k will not even buy you a lower end Patek. It'll get you a Glashutte Original, an in-house Jaeger LeCoulture, or an in-house Cartier. $10k will get you a Rolex.
These watches are the entry level of the high-end in-house market. Add serious complications like perpetual calendar, tourbillon, repeater, and suddenly you've stumbled into the 5-6 figure range, for one watch. The people who are into high-end watches as a hobby have to be comfortable dropping $20-50k on a standard piece, $100k+ on something special. To be willing to spend that kind of money, you're probably well into the very-wealthy-$20k-is-a-drop-in-the-bucket territory. This obviously isn't everyone, but it probably covers most. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's super cool and I love watches to death, but the market and costs are insane.
For those of you not familiar with haute horology, I encourage you to look up bleeding edge companies like Greubel Forsey, Richard Mille, DeWitt. The rabbit hole goes deep. And don't skimp, check out Vimeo videos that show the assembly of some of these watches (especially ones with tourbillons).
Rich old white dudes gotta waste money on something.post #81021 of 1090546/30/13 at 11:28pmpost #81022 of 1090547/1/13 at 3:00amWhen I think of the heavyweights in the WAYWT thread, most of these folks post fits consistently in one aesthetic. In some cases, e.g. Regis or mello, their fits consist mostly of a single designer. In my mind, I admire this consistency, and it is probably the result of years of experimentation and evolution of tastes. In practice, I find this extremely difficult to implement. Some days, I feel like wearing a TOJ leather, white tee, denim, and some sneaks. Other days I want to wear a black overcoat with black derbies, also minimalist I suppose. When i feel lazy, I throw on some W+H sweats. And then there are days when I wear a brown herringbone jacket layered under a mountain parka with some Acorn stows.
To move forward, do I need to discipline myself and pick one (or two), or can one improve even with this sometimes confusing range?post #81023 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:15am
Your taste will always change and evolve, no matter if you dress in primarly one brand or mix from several.
And whether you think so or not, I guarantee you will improve just by staying interested
And look I totally get your question since I've asked myself pretty much the exact same thing atleast a dozen times, but even though I haven't really thought of it that much, I've noticed that I'm narrowing down the range of styles that are my favorites and that will work together step by step (now I just need to get a job so I have some actual money for further development )
totally unrelated: my bandwidth speed changed from 8 mb/s to 0,2 mb/s about a week ago which sucked, but then it changed to 25 mb/s this morningpost #81024 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:16ampost #81025 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:20ampost #81026 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:23am
Haha. I love Queen. "It's Late" is so triumphant. "'39" is a genuinely moving ballad about space travel. Not to mention the hits. Freddie Mercury was so unapologetic about who he was. He was awesome. And the whole band was so good!post #81027 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:28ampost #81028 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:30ampost #81029 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:30ami think it's interesting to see what other internet fashion communities are into, even if they're not totally in line with the interests of people here?
Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that?
After all, everybody knows that people who don't share our tastes and goals are not worth paying attention to.post #81030 of 1090547/1/13 at 7:39amQuote:Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
i think it's interesting to see what other internet fashion communities are into, even if they're not totally in line with the interests of people here?
Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that.
I was just wondering why you think it's worth it, considering 95% of the photos in the "best of" is pretty standard stuff that we get here, daily even. You post a lot about r/mfa, and I just don't understand why. It's a cool community for people just getting interested in fashion, but like all the specialized subreddits, it's merely skimming the top of really interesting stuff and really offers very little to discuss. What's interesting to you about any of that? Why not post stuff from SuFu or SZ, which are both pretty different from SF looks. And I'm not being trying to be snarky here.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 5 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide