Yeah Edward Green thread had a mini discussion where they went off discussing $300k watches as if they were chump change
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:48 am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! Last post on 5/5/12 at 7:39am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5402
Styleforum Top Picks
Watches are a little bit more expensive of a hobby than clothes. I mean think of the price grade of the entire outfit of someone who's ballin outrageous... suit, leathers, whatever, we're talking $20k tops unless they're just trying to bleed cash for no reason.
Now the price grade of the more inexpensive high-end watches starts at about $10k. In terms of in-house markets only (I'm not going to get into discussion of mark-ups on watches that don't use in-house movements) $5-10k will not even buy you a lower end Patek. It'll get you a Glashutte Original, an in-house Jaeger LeCoulture, or an in-house Cartier. $10k will get you a Rolex.
These watches are the entry level of the high-end in-house market. Add serious complications like perpetual calendar, tourbillon, repeater, and suddenly you've stumbled into the 5-6 figure range, for one watch. The people who are into high-end watches as a hobby have to be comfortable dropping $20-50k on a standard piece, $100k+ on something special. To be willing to spend that kind of money, you're probably well into the very-wealthy-$20k-is-a-drop-in-the-bucket territory. This obviously isn't everyone, but it probably covers most. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's super cool and I love watches to death, but the market and costs are insane.
For those of you not familiar with haute horology, I encourage you to look up bleeding edge companies like Greubel Forsey, Richard Mille, DeWitt. The rabbit hole goes deep. And don't skimp, check out Vimeo videos that show the assembly of some of these watches (especially ones with tourbillons).
Rich old white dudes gotta waste money on something.
To move forward, do I need to discipline myself and pick one (or two), or can one improve even with this sometimes confusing range?
Your taste will always change and evolve, no matter if you dress in primarly one brand or mix from several.
And whether you think so or not, I guarantee you will improve just by staying interested
And look I totally get your question since I've asked myself pretty much the exact same thing atleast a dozen times, but even though I haven't really thought of it that much, I've noticed that I'm narrowing down the range of styles that are my favorites and that will work together step by step (now I just need to get a job so I have some actual money for further development )
totally unrelated: my bandwidth speed changed from 8 mb/s to 0,2 mb/s about a week ago which sucked, but then it changed to 25 mb/s this morning
Haha. I love Queen. "It's Late" is so triumphant. "'39" is a genuinely moving ballad about space travel. Not to mention the hits. Freddie Mercury was so unapologetic about who he was. He was awesome. And the whole band was so good!
Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that?
After all, everybody knows that people who don't share our tastes and goals are not worth paying attention to.
i think it's interesting to see what other internet fashion communities are into, even if they're not totally in line with the interests of people here?
Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that.
I was just wondering why you think it's worth it, considering 95% of the photos in the "best of" is pretty standard stuff that we get here, daily even. You post a lot about r/mfa, and I just don't understand why. It's a cool community for people just getting interested in fashion, but like all the specialized subreddits, it's merely skimming the top of really interesting stuff and really offers very little to discuss. What's interesting to you about any of that? Why not post stuff from SuFu or SZ, which are both pretty different from SF looks. And I'm not being trying to be snarky here.
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- › I think I hate San Francisco. 1 minute ago
- › NFL 2014-15 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 7 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 8 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...