Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/1/17 at 7:56pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5402post #81017 of 1090536/30/13 at 10:40pmpost #81018 of 1090536/30/13 at 10:50pmpost #81019 of 1090536/30/13 at 11:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by mer6
Watches are a little bit more expensive of a hobby than clothes. I mean think of the price grade of the entire outfit of someone who's ballin outrageous... suit, leathers, whatever, we're talking $20k tops unless they're just trying to bleed cash for no reason.
Now the price grade of the more inexpensive high-end watches starts at about $10k. In terms of in-house markets only (I'm not going to get into discussion of mark-ups on watches that don't use in-house movements) $5-10k will not even buy you a lower end Patek. It'll get you a Glashutte Original, an in-house Jaeger LeCoulture, or an in-house Cartier. $10k will get you a Rolex.
These watches are the entry level of the high-end in-house market. Add serious complications like perpetual calendar, tourbillon, repeater, and suddenly you've stumbled into the 5-6 figure range, for one watch. The people who are into high-end watches as a hobby have to be comfortable dropping $20-50k on a standard piece, $100k+ on something special. To be willing to spend that kind of money, you're probably well into the very-wealthy-$20k-is-a-drop-in-the-bucket territory. This obviously isn't everyone, but it probably covers most. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's super cool and I love watches to death, but the market and costs are insane.
For those of you not familiar with haute horology, I encourage you to look up bleeding edge companies like Greubel Forsey, Richard Mille, DeWitt. The rabbit hole goes deep. And don't skimp, check out Vimeo videos that show the assembly of some of these watches (especially ones with tourbillons).
Rich old white dudes gotta waste money on something.post #81020 of 1090536/30/13 at 11:28pmpost #81021 of 1090537/1/13 at 3:00amWhen I think of the heavyweights in the WAYWT thread, most of these folks post fits consistently in one aesthetic. In some cases, e.g. Regis or mello, their fits consist mostly of a single designer. In my mind, I admire this consistency, and it is probably the result of years of experimentation and evolution of tastes. In practice, I find this extremely difficult to implement. Some days, I feel like wearing a TOJ leather, white tee, denim, and some sneaks. Other days I want to wear a black overcoat with black derbies, also minimalist I suppose. When i feel lazy, I throw on some W+H sweats. And then there are days when I wear a brown herringbone jacket layered under a mountain parka with some Acorn stows.
To move forward, do I need to discipline myself and pick one (or two), or can one improve even with this sometimes confusing range?post #81022 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:15am
Your taste will always change and evolve, no matter if you dress in primarly one brand or mix from several.
And whether you think so or not, I guarantee you will improve just by staying interested
And look I totally get your question since I've asked myself pretty much the exact same thing atleast a dozen times, but even though I haven't really thought of it that much, I've noticed that I'm narrowing down the range of styles that are my favorites and that will work together step by step (now I just need to get a job so I have some actual money for further development )
totally unrelated: my bandwidth speed changed from 8 mb/s to 0,2 mb/s about a week ago which sucked, but then it changed to 25 mb/s this morningpost #81023 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:16ampost #81024 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:20ampost #81025 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:23am
Haha. I love Queen. "It's Late" is so triumphant. "'39" is a genuinely moving ballad about space travel. Not to mention the hits. Freddie Mercury was so unapologetic about who he was. He was awesome. And the whole band was so good!post #81026 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:28ampost #81027 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:30ampost #81028 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:30ami think it's interesting to see what other internet fashion communities are into, even if they're not totally in line with the interests of people here?
Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that?
After all, everybody knows that people who don't share our tastes and goals are not worth paying attention to.post #81029 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:39amQuote:Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
i think it's interesting to see what other internet fashion communities are into, even if they're not totally in line with the interests of people here?
Of course, that would require thinking outside of one's own subjectivity, which, you know, why would you ever want to do that.
I was just wondering why you think it's worth it, considering 95% of the photos in the "best of" is pretty standard stuff that we get here, daily even. You post a lot about r/mfa, and I just don't understand why. It's a cool community for people just getting interested in fashion, but like all the specialized subreddits, it's merely skimming the top of really interesting stuff and really offers very little to discuss. What's interesting to you about any of that? Why not post stuff from SuFu or SZ, which are both pretty different from SF looks. And I'm not being trying to be snarky here.post #81030 of 1090537/1/13 at 7:41am
uh, i've just looked through it and to be frank, i have to agree with g-trans.. the best looks there, are those already posted here.. most of the rest is just :/ ... it's not so much not wanting to pay attention to a different opinion or outlook, it's just not exactly enlightening/interesting stuff.
edit: oh he already said it.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › Don's Footwear 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 11 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 13 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 13 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 14 minutes ago
- › New Children Real Madrid 2016/2017 Home/Away Soccer Football Kids... 14 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 16 minutes ago
- › A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions. 19 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › How to Buy a Women Dress Online That Puts on...
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway