Thumbs up for Against Interpretation....one of the best essays ever.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 6/28/15 at 2:11pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:55 am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5377post #80641 of 1090546/18/13 at 9:04am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #80642 of 1090546/18/13 at 9:06ampost #80643 of 1090546/18/13 at 9:06ampost #80644 of 1090546/18/13 at 9:47amQuote:Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
WARNING: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)THOUGHTS! i went to the MoMA like two weeks ago and while I was looking at a giant Jackson Pollock this guy was very condescendingly lecturing his wife on why it was amazing. he was talking about how it was a fractal and how you can break it down mathematically. that stuff is interesting and all (http://discovermagazine.com/2001/nov/featpollock#.UcB9efZVRgI) but he didn't once say anything about the way it looked, just how you could take it apart and why that's what made it good. he hardly looked at the painting and instead just kept talking down to his wife. I walked away until he was gone and then went back to it.
"None of us can ever retrieve that innocence before all theory when art knew no need to justify itself, when one did not ask of a work of art what it said because one knew (or thought one knew) what it did. From now to the end of consciousness, we are stuck with the task of defending art. We can only quarrel with one or another means of defense. Indeed, we have an obligation to overthrow any means of defending and justifying art which becomes particularly obtuse or onerous or insensitive to contemporary needs and practice."
THAT SAID, I do get annoyed when art is really just a shallow concept with little to offer in the way of execution. One of the real joys of any art form is that it shows the artist's talent. Picasso's work is conceptual, but it's also incredible in the way it's drawn and composed. But Rauschenberg's white paintings, and a lot of Barnett Newman and stuff like that, is more concept than anything else to me. With those paintings (the white paintings are probably better described as installation pieces or something) I feel like you lose the joy on the surface, and what you have left is the concept behind it that needs to be justified because otherwise it's too oblique or just too thin to deserve considering in any depth. They're for the brain more than the eye. Pollock is abstract, but there's so much for there for the eye. So I agree with the Sontag quote above, but I also don't like it used as an excuse for people to do lazy work that requires no mastery of their medium.
Mostly agree. Also, I feel the same way about a lot of "artisanal" SW&D brands.post #80645 of 1090546/18/13 at 9:53amQuote:Originally Posted by thewho13
I saw This Is The End with my brother the other night. He was dying pretty much the whole time, whereas I was really only kinda into it. (It was sort of funny every now and then, but I guess I just don't really find the Apatow or Apatow-related stuff very funny anymore.) Not liking derivative, gag-based humor (among other things) apparently makes me a hipster.
For comedy, watch movies with Nick Frost and Simon Pegg (really excited for "The World's End")post #80646 of 1090546/18/13 at 9:57ampost #80647 of 1090546/18/13 at 10:09ampost #80648 of 1090546/18/13 at 10:13ampost #80649 of 1090546/18/13 at 11:42amQuote:Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
C'mon man, Mexican food is not junk food. At least it shouldn't be. Last week I had short rib tacos with bone marrow at Toloache. Holy shit. Those were good.
But to answer your question...check out Bonchon for fried chicken (I'm sure some of the Korean guys on here will have other suggestions), Baohaus for Taiwanese buns, maybe La Esquina for tacos, Vanessa's Dumplings, Doughnut Plant. People are all crazy about the cronut (croissant-donut) at Dominique Ansel (the owner has serious credentials, btw). But you have to get there at like 7:30 and wait in line to get one. If you want pancakes, check out Clinton St. Baking Company. Don't go on the weekend though or you'll never get in. Not junk food, but Mission Chinese is pretty awesome and fairly cheap. For dinner, get there early, at like 6:00 or 6:30. Southern-style fried chicken at Hill Country Chicken. For pizza I like Lombardi's (other people will undoubtedly have other suggestions there too), and I like the margherita at Spunto (edit: fixed name; I wrote Spuntino originally, which is a different place).
Not Korean, but I preferred Mad For Chicken for Korean Fried Chicken. For junky food in NYC, I always end up grabbing a halal cart lamb/chicken rice bowl. Shake shack for what I call an east coast In n Outpost #80650 of 1090546/18/13 at 12:39pmpost #80651 of 1090546/18/13 at 2:12pmI am really interested by the Profile line Margiela is putting out, I am guessing there might be more of it, but with my bracelets I got this little preview
So far I've got a couple bracelets (would love to get my hands on the perfume holder) and while my preference would be a natural or brown leather as the "watch band", what looks better here... the metal or black leather to you guys? I only need want one
Edit: Forgot the other side of the preview
Edited by RegisDB9 - 6/18/13 at 2:27pmpost #80652 of 1090546/18/13 at 2:20pmpost #80653 of 1090546/18/13 at 2:21pm
"...also, I can kill you with my brain"
I know I know, I'm 10 years late to the party but goddamn, Firefly is an awesome series
edit: and ye all metal
edit again: whyyyyyyy would they only make one season
Edited by kindofyoung - 6/18/13 at 4:34pmpost #80654 of 1090546/18/13 at 6:14pmman i miss my baltimore ups driver who would just leave my packages no matter what. this one in boston refuses to even though I leave notes with the tracking number, etc. what happens if you're not there after the second delivery attempt? do they leave it at the ups store or something? I don't even know where that is but there are a few in somerville so i'm guessing it'd be at one of those?
in other news - i live like half a mile from drinkwaters and have yet to been i'll go eventually though.
Edited by mike868y - 6/18/13 at 6:43pm
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...
- › Things that are pissing you off. 6 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 54 seconds ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 1 minute ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 4 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 5 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 6 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 8 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...