Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 9/28/16 at 6:07pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5285post #79262 of 1090535/12/13 at 3:49amQuote:Originally Posted by LA Guy
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Er... I actually am raising a kid who has near genius level intelligence, but also has severe ADHD. So yes, I know what you are talking about. The distractions are a big part of the problem. They are issues even for normal people, much less people who have attention deficit in the first place. I think that it's too easy to say that medication alone is the answer, although it certainly helps.Also, since finals are upon or are imminent for many students, it's free advice from a crotchety faculty type. Don't ask profs what you need (in an exam) to pass a class. They hate that. All of them. If you are A-type, and want to know what you need to get an A, well, it's annoying, but at least the student cares enough to really dig into the work, if only for a good grade. If the student is gunning to just sneak into the pass column... well, best to not advertise that.
Incidentally, I don't think that anyone who knows me would call me neurotypical. However, and this was especially useful during college, I am able to block out everything except for the task on which I was focused. It's a skill that can be learned, but not one that can necessarily be taught.
I wish you'd start a thread about the random musings of a college professor. I'll bet you have some good stories. There's that other guy on the board, L'Incandescent (or something like that). He's prof of philosophy. He's had some pretty good posts about his students.Quote:
In the movie about his life, he will be played by...Gary Busey.post #79263 of 1090535/12/13 at 4:05amFor what it's worth, I don't really care to delve into the whole ADHD etc, etc talk, since I all too frequently have this argument in real life with people.
I'm not just popping the pills to cram for finals. I legit have it prescribed, and need it. With that being said, I rarely, rarely take it, because as Fok says, I think it is much better to learn how to be able to push distractions to the side, and power through things. It ultimately makes you a better person as well, in my opinion.
Unfortunately sometimes, when I really need to buckle down i'll go for it, but end up hating myself for it, a) because I failed to discipline myself in the proper way to be able to do the things I needed to do without a crutch b)the side effects are awful, mainly being almost forcibly awake for way too long, then crashing for nearly as long. Also not eating for like a day in the half sucks.post #79264 of 1090535/12/13 at 8:37amI have the attention span of a ................................ (uhhh... look cake).
I learned from an early age food and exercise can do a lot for your attention span.
I still can't keep any sort of attention to things I don't care about though, so if someone tells/talks to me about something I don't care about, I zone out.post #79265 of 1090535/12/13 at 8:53amQuote:
If you can't push distractions to the side and power through things, when you get into the real world and get a job, your employer will soon realize that you are an incompetent fraud.post #79266 of 1090535/12/13 at 9:14amQuote:
I have no problem with them whatsoever. The public reaction only shows how delusional people can be. Instead of being upset that stores are hiring only attractive, skinny people, they get upset when words are said that state what they already know. This country is lost in its own submission to the illusion of corporate etiquette.post #79267 of 1090535/12/13 at 9:23amQuote:
that's certainly a good general maxim and clearly true in fields like academia or law. but in other more entrepreneurial areas it seems like a short attention span isn't necessarily such a handicap. i deal with a lot of people in the hedge fund world, for example, and some of these guys have built enormously successful businesses more through energy and charisma than anything.post #79268 of 1090535/12/13 at 10:40amQuote:Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
that's certainly a good general maxim and clearly true in fields like academia or law. but in other more entrepreneurial areas it seems like a short attention span isn't necessarily such a handicap. i deal with a lot of people in the hedge fund world, for example, and some of these guys have built enormously successful businesses more through energy and charisma than anything.
Having a foot in both worlds, my experience is that this is not true. Actually, entrepreneurship requires an incredible about of discipline and the abiliity to sustain energy and enthusiasm through a lot of frustration, day in and day out. And unlike something like academia or law or engineering, there are no built in, short term, incentives, or routines, to help you keep going. You have to construct those all for yourself.post #79269 of 1090535/12/13 at 10:59ami'm with Fok on the entrepreneurship front, especially with small businesses. lots of daily frustration, little immediate reward in a lot of cases. i admire anyone that can build a business from the ground up.
my totally non-scientific take on ADHD is based just on my anecdotal experiences, but in that experience, the people I've known with ADHD don't really have trouble focusing. they just have trouble focusing on things they find boring. but those people can focus on web browsing or a video game (one that I might find really boring) or playing the guitar or watching movies for hours on end without any attention issues. it starts to seem like the issue isn't an inability to focus; it's an addiction to entertainment. if they're not entertained they get all fidgety and anxious and stuff, like they need a fix. i know there are people with genuine attention-deficit problems, but i also think too many people use ADHD as an excuse. then again, telling one from the other is pretty tough, I imaginepost #79270 of 1090535/12/13 at 10:59ampost #79271 of 1090535/12/13 at 11:02ami agree, of course one doesn't build a business without maintaining a long-term focus. I don't know much about ADHD and how one would define it but i was referring to an ability to keep one's mind on one specific mental problem for a prolonged period, the kind of concentration that i had to force myself into when doing law school final exams.
i was in a room with one guy who had back to back calls with two of his biggest investors, and whilst speaking he was compulsively scrolling through news on his iphone. not because there was anything there he needed to know or that even interested him, his brain just seems to demand that there are multiple frequencies for him to hop across.post #79272 of 1090535/12/13 at 11:50ampost #79273 of 1090535/12/13 at 11:59ampost #79274 of 1090535/12/13 at 12:02pmI was diagnosed with ADHD in 8th grade (it was really severe in elementary/middle school, I failed a lot of classes and struggled through the rest), but it's gotten better over time. Still, I recently got a prescription for adderall and I take it 1-3 times a week. Not only does it help me immensely with task management/completion and initiative (as well as sustained focus), it's also sort of reshaped the way I behave even off of it. I've actually gotten better at tackling tasks and managing my time, and find myself having more motivation. It's weirdpost #79275 of 1090535/12/13 at 12:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by LA Guy
Having a foot in both worlds, my experience is that this is not true. Actually, entrepreneurship requires an incredible about of discipline and the abiliity to sustain energy and enthusiasm through a lot of frustration, day in and day out. And unlike something like academia or law or engineering, there are no built in, short term, incentives, or routines, to help you keep going. You have to construct those all for yourself.
I find that when fate is completely in your own hands you tend to work a lot harder than for someone else.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 seconds ago
- › NWT Robert Geller square scarf 13 seconds ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Ralph Lauren "Rugby" belt, featuring New England lighthouses! Size... 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 6 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 6 minutes ago
- › TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other... 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...