Recent Images In This Thread
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:53 pm in Classic Menswear
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- MARGIELA l PATRIK ERVELL l JIL SANDER l Prorsum l Stephan Schneider Last post on 2/11/11 at 1:49pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5114
Styleforum Top Picks
The most interesting things usually happen at the margins, if you blow thousands of dollars on this hobby (as we all do) I'm going to guess you're pretty into it so why would you settle for one prepackaged aesthetic over another when you have the opportunity to do your own thing. Being into different styles is a good thing (assuming it's not just hype), it gives you different point of views, different ways of approaching the brands you like, outside of their usual setting. Take advantage of this, find a common thread between Rick and Schneider (or... or...), a backbone for what you want to do, something that allows you to integrate a wide variety of items without compromising the whole thing by making you look like a circus freak. As long as you're not trying to work repp ties into Rick outfits it's more than likely doable, brands don't need to overlap to be compatible (and most are). Imagine a coherent continuum between extreme dropcrotch and boring minimal tailoring, then own that continuum, live in it. The reward is in the process (too).
Great comment. I think sometimes we have a tendency to obsess over singular brand/designers that we lose sight of creating an original personal style. A lot of the best dress guys I see mix stuff from various places -- diff. designers, basics, some vintage stuff. It doesn't mean your look has to be all over the place, but a more eclectic approach gives you some freedom to still enjoy clothing and experiment without feeling like you have to totally bail on that avant-garde look if you feel like wearing something more soft or traditional.
First of all, I absolutely agree with you.
I recently put together a grungy version of what might be a "Rick" out fit for someone using some very classic menswear/#menswear pieces. There was a grey Brunello Cucinelli down vest involved, um, some Drkshdw carrot leg jeans, some painted over Buttero hightops (actually, that was a really cool DIY project), a Dries van Noten skinny belt from last season, and a few tees layered - taupe longsleeve over a maroon thermal that was another DIY project - I think that it was a Buzz Rickson thermal, but it might have been Studio D'Artisan or something similar. An old but very classic menswear grey flannel shirt from Luciano Barbera was washed, wringed out and let dry thtat way, and tied at the waist. Sort of all in the melding of colors, textures, and proportions. I could have used most of the same pieces to do a sort of "generically handsome man" look, incidentally.
Also, I belt that a repp tie could be used in a Rick outfit. I could see it being overdyed and made into an double-O ring belt, for example
I think that's what I mean.
dunno bout when zara first had them but this misses the mark by a bit. Someone has to have a decent repro going for what something like that should be.
This. The white ckc hp shirt I have from yoox fits noticeably different from the grey stripe one I bought from yoox at the same time. Not a full size different or anything but just enough smaller in the chest and sleeves to be noticeable.
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 8 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 12 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › http://premiumpureforskolinrev.com/metabo-garcinia/ 15 minutes ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 16 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 24 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 27 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 29 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...