Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/9/16 at 4:10pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...
Last edited: 10/22/15
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5114post #76696 of 1090543/28/13 at 9:21am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #76697 of 1090543/28/13 at 9:22ampost #76698 of 1090543/28/13 at 9:32ampost #76699 of 1090543/28/13 at 9:59am
I don't even know what to do with myself right now. ahhhhhhhh
this can't be happening
I need money and a proxy. where's MIRAN???post #76700 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:01ampost #76701 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:05ampost #76702 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:13ampost #76703 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:19ampost #76704 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:22ampost #76705 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:26ampost #76706 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:28amsipang-losophy (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by sipang
The most interesting things usually happen at the margins, if you blow thousands of dollars on this hobby (as we all do) I'm going to guess you're pretty into it so why would you settle for one prepackaged aesthetic over another when you have the opportunity to do your own thing. Being into different styles is a good thing (assuming it's not just hype), it gives you different point of views, different ways of approaching the brands you like, outside of their usual setting. Take advantage of this, find a common thread between Rick and Schneider (or... or...), a backbone for what you want to do, something that allows you to integrate a wide variety of items without compromising the whole thing by making you look like a circus freak. As long as you're not trying to work repp ties into Rick outfits it's more than likely doable, brands don't need to overlap to be compatible (and most are). Imagine a coherent continuum between extreme dropcrotch and boring minimal tailoring, then own that continuum, live in it. The reward is in the process (too).
Great comment. I think sometimes we have a tendency to obsess over singular brand/designers that we lose sight of creating an original personal style. A lot of the best dress guys I see mix stuff from various places -- diff. designers, basics, some vintage stuff. It doesn't mean your look has to be all over the place, but a more eclectic approach gives you some freedom to still enjoy clothing and experiment without feeling like you have to totally bail on that avant-garde look if you feel like wearing something more soft or traditional.Quote:Originally Posted by LA Guy
First of all, I absolutely agree with you.
I recently put together a grungy version of what might be a "Rick" out fit for someone using some very classic menswear/#menswear pieces. There was a grey Brunello Cucinelli down vest involved, um, some Drkshdw carrot leg jeans, some painted over Buttero hightops (actually, that was a really cool DIY project), a Dries van Noten skinny belt from last season, and a few tees layered - taupe longsleeve over a maroon thermal that was another DIY project - I think that it was a Buzz Rickson thermal, but it might have been Studio D'Artisan or something similar. An old but very classic menswear grey flannel shirt from Luciano Barbera was washed, wringed out and let dry thtat way, and tied at the waist. Sort of all in the melding of colors, textures, and proportions. I could have used most of the same pieces to do a sort of "generically handsome man" look, incidentally.
Also, I belt that a repp tie could be used in a Rick outfit. I could see it being overdyed and made into an double-O ring belt, for example
I think that's what I mean.post #76707 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:38amQuote:
dunno bout when zara first had them but this misses the mark by a bit. Someone has to have a decent repro going for what something like that should be.post #76708 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:44amQuote:
This. The white ckc hp shirt I have from yoox fits noticeably different from the grey stripe one I bought from yoox at the same time. Not a full size different or anything but just enough smaller in the chest and sleeves to be noticeable.post #76709 of 1090543/28/13 at 10:46am
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
- › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging ... 30 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 49 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 2 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF FEB... 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...