Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/20/16 at 7:32am in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 5096post #76426 of 1090543/26/13 at 6:26ampost #76427 of 1090543/26/13 at 6:28amuhh that article takes a weird fucking turnQuote:Was I homosexual because so much of what I wore is associated with gays? I did experiment. And while I don't think it is my sexual being, I can tell you that gay men as a group are nicer, smarter, have a shitload more fun than straight whites. Was I veering toward becoming a dominant leather master in the S&M scene, the leather fetish an obvious influence in most of the clothing I purchased and in much of high fashion itself? I did experiment. Was I a closeted or maybe not so closeted transvestite? Tom Ford makeup is divine; the right foundation and cheek blush and eyeliner and lipstick can do wonders for the pallid complexion. Thigh-high boots add to any wardrobe, although walking on six-inch stilettos for hours is just a bitch and therefore confined to the privacy of my house, seen only by the UPS man, who at this point could not possibly be surprised by anything. But a dress or skirt just doesn't look good on me, and I can't ever do a thing with my hair. The look I was going for was more David Bowie androgynous. It wasn't successful.post #76428 of 1090543/26/13 at 6:36ampost #76429 of 1090543/26/13 at 6:37ampost #76430 of 1090543/26/13 at 6:41ampost #76431 of 1090543/26/13 at 6:43amQuote:
Just noticed it in your sig but saw classified was closed. I really have no need for another Maine Guide or another Daiki corduroy jacket but I really felt like I'd get a thrill from buying it /buzzbissingerpost #76432 of 1090543/26/13 at 6:47amQuote:
Sure stevent, horse butt is amazing. And in all fairness to Alden they make (some) nice stuff.
But there’s just something unsettling about the place. The thread. I don’t know how to put it, it’s almost pervy. For some reason I imagine most regulars being stodgy types who work in finance. Employment at an investment firm or bank feels prerequisite to really be like a true member of the Alden Thread. One, the income it demands, but I’m pretty sure most of the wyw shots come from the MC side, men taking a break to post a flashed out image of a longwing or nst and always working the maximal amount of argyle into the frame. I would not be surprised if most of their socks were attached to garters. Don’t ask me why I just find that repellent. One guy always puts his shoes up against a mirror in the shot. I have no idea if this is the uncle guy, but it’s completely excessive and not unlike somebody whose life’s nexus is their shoe collection. I’m pretty sure the mirror is not full length and he just tucks it away in a drawer somewhere when he’s done.
And then there’s the uncle thing. Obviously you really work your way into the inner circles of the thread via veneration of McArthur or whoever’s Alden collection. He seems to hold something of a total cordovan eclipse over any dissenting voice about QC or inflated price points. Nobody acknowledges the QC issues because it harshes the mellow in the place. Sand in the vaseline sort of thing. You can continue the metaphor from there. But what else could you expect; this is their hobby. Mention ‘ravello’ and everyone gets extremely excited.
Could just be me, but you gotta expect the guys on the thread, the ones holding up the nephew part of that uncle correspondence, you got to imagine they don’t get too much attention from girls. Could just be me tho.
What I can’t figure out is if these guys are like this because of Alden, or if say people crazy about AE are the same. Is there some kind of intrinsic aesthetic to Alden, some kind of white collar New England thing I’m missing that strikes a chord with these guys and brings out this weird fascination with the brand.post #76433 of 1090543/26/13 at 7:05ampost #76434 of 1090543/26/13 at 7:32ampost #76435 of 1090543/26/13 at 7:33ampost #76436 of 1090543/26/13 at 7:46amQuote:
All you peasants wearing Aldens, wear some real shoes before talking.
(blah blah blah moronic e-peen contest)post #76437 of 1090543/26/13 at 7:51ampost #76438 of 1090543/26/13 at 7:57amQuote:It's mostly because it is what it is. They've been making effectively the same twenty or so designs and after a few weeks of following the thread you've seen it all, so there's very little to debate - you either like some of those designs or you don't, and those who don't have no reason to be in the thread (because it is of no interest to them).Originally Posted by dotcomzzz
What I can’t figure out is if these guys are like this because of Alden, or if say people crazy about AE are the same. Is there some kind of intrinsic aesthetic to Alden, some kind of white collar New England thing I’m missing that strikes a chord with these guys and brings out this weird fascination with the brand.
Keep in mind that this is the sort of devotion you see for "hype" brands. Alden is "hype" in its own way in that certain colors are rarely available and sometimes require serious logistical effort to obtain, but it still gets the veneer of classic menswear. So people get to indulge their innate hype sensibilities while still feeling classic. McArthur can be compared to a sneakerhead, but for something classic menswear-y - everyone recognizes a ravello straight-tip boot and recognizes its rarity (as if it were like an infrared or something), which isn't true of any other form of classic menswear that I can think of. It's why you get such a unique tone in the thread.
Plus, people continue to go back to the thread because of the rotating availability of shell. It can be rewarding to hang out in the thread in that you'll be aware when some new ravello drops. So people constantly keep reading it.
EDIT: Also - the fact that the shoes are effectively a shared language. Each Alden shoe can be perfectly described as a simple combination of five things - size, design, last, material, sole. So it's easy to communicate with one another and to grasp the "meaning" of a shoe. So if I say "size 11 straight-tip boot grant last cigar shell commando sole", it's perfectly communicable. This isn't true of any other brand, to my knowledge, and it allows people to imagine their "dream shoe" dropping. Wanting Allen Edmonds to make the Park Avenue on another last or with a different welt won't happen. But with Alden, you can always dream of your #4 modified last cap toe close welt... even if it will never be created. Because it is possible. Welcome to Alden, where dreams are feasible (but not probable). You go to the EG thread and you can just get the shoe you want made - that's hardly going to keep you coming back to the thread, will it?post #76439 of 1090543/26/13 at 8:06ampost #76440 of 1090543/26/13 at 8:25am
I like Alden's, but the thread is stuck in it's own island in it's own timewarp. It's the most viewed product thread on SW&D by a million over TOJ.
It's got the fanaticism of both the Epaulets and TOJ threads combined and more.
Plus, they don't use the thumbs system. Most of the time pictures will get quoted and requoted with a simple "nice". I think it's the demographic, skewed older. Can't use eRep or multi-quote. Nephew and uncle talk is a bit weird.
I heard MC over the wall is a bit weird. Maybe Alden belongs over there...but if it did, I would have never gotten some nice pairs.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 42 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments Quick Release Belt Size 34 7 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap : St. Crispin's + Carmina NIB Shoe Sample Sale // Creed... 19 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 22 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding