or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 5032  

post #75466 of 109053
..
post #75467 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck View Post

Back before flying people wouldn't "travel," they would go "on tour." Which meant spending months in whatever country(ies) they were visiting. That's where the word tourist comes from. Wish it were still like that, minus their methods of travel that is (who wants to cross the ocean in a boat?)

 

How is it not still like that? The people "touring" foreign countries for months at a time were the filthy rich aristrocracy.  If you're filthy rich today you can do the same thing... plus, with a few grand in the bank, you can backpack through most cheaper countries for months at a time, which is a much better opportunity than any of the middle class really had even 60 years ago.

post #75468 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post

OK, so I threw on my NDG puffer vest just now and had a thought...Would it be at all possible to have someone attach unzippable (removable) leather sleeves onto this to form a sort of UCism type hybrid? Who would I even go to for a project like that, a leather maker or a tailor or what?


All the edgy details and black hardware etc. would look great with leather sleeves, methinks

if you ever find out please pm me
post #75469 of 109053

so you're saying that traveling isn't worth it unless you can live there for a good amount of time?  sounds like a cop out

post #75470 of 109053

I've traveled pretty extensively (caveat: within Central Europe and the UK only) and have to say the best times were had when it meant staying somewhere for more than ~a week. You simply don't get the same experience hopping from city to city as you do spending a while getting to know the area.

post #75471 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post

I've traveled pretty extensively (caveat: within Central Europe and the UK only) and have to say the best times were had when it meant staying somewhere for more than ~a week. You simply don't get the same experience hopping from city to city as you do spending a while getting to know the area.

While I don't dispute any of what you just said, that's not to say that somebody cannot go to a city for a few days and not come away with a few experiences that they'll look fondly upon for the rest of their lives. And really, isn't that what it's all about?

Actually, what's funny is that in connection with that other article that's been floating around here the past couple of weeks that says people derive more happiness out of wanting something rather than actually having it, I derive an immense amount of pleasure from getting the Fodor's guide for the city I'm going to visit. I will thumb through the book, sometimes for months, and create whole day long itineraries. Some people might say that this would take the whole fun out of the trip, leaving it with no sense of adventure, but I don't see it that way.
post #75472 of 109053

Of course you can travel just for short trips, I just have got a whole lot out of living in different environments and would have a problem if the only traveling I had done were for trips and nothing longer. But I was fortunate enough to grow up in a few different places, so I'm sure that's affected my sense of place greatly. To each their own, but I have met people who consider themselves world travelers yet have never moved from their hometown, and that is something that just doesn't speak to me.

post #75473 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

just sniffed terre d'hermes now, fuck... might get the bottle

 

Go through some testers first, that frag is mostly iso-e super and many/most people get tired of it after a while. All of that perfumer's frags are entirely synthetic and get really annoying after a while. Plus, it kinda has an old-man vibe to it IMO...

post #75474 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post


While I don't dispute any of what you just said, that's not to say that somebody cannot go to a city for a few days and not come away with a few experiences that they'll look fondly upon for the rest of their lives. And really, isn't that what it's all about?

Actually, what's funny is that in connection with that other article that's been floating around here the past couple of weeks that says people derive more happiness out of wanting something rather than actually having it, I derive an immense amount of pleasure from getting the Fodor's guide for the city I'm going to visit. I will thumb through the book, sometimes for months, and create whole day long itineraries. Some people might say that this would take the whole fun out of the trip, leaving it with no sense of adventure, but I don't see it that way.


I'm simply not the sightseeing type, so heading somewhere for just a couple days doesn't appeal. My favourite vacations have been doing things like two week trips, cycling, snowboarding, learning to windsurf, hiking coasts - they're all things that connect you with people much more genuinely than you get in most cities. I don't disagree there's value in the Eurail/RyanAir weekend-getaway esque trips where you spend a day or two in a city or country, I just feel there's less of it.

post #75475 of 109053
I'm going travelling in April-May-June down the West coast, across Mexico, and up the East coast to Toronto. It's going to be fun.
post #75476 of 109053

RFT: Considering buying that suede 5-zip that's on sufu right now - am I crazy considering I live in Seattle? Will I end up doing this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe3GIR9FHv9m9OYOeYNDGDD3ji9n-yV6a9OwRNRMx-8X7PXws0

3/4 of the time?

post #75477 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

How is it not still like that? The people "touring" foreign countries for months at a time were the filthy rich aristrocracy.  If you're filthy rich today you can do the same thing... plus, with a few grand in the bank, you can backpack through most cheaper countries for months at a time, which is a much better opportunity than any of the middle class really had even 60 years ago.

You're right. What I should've said was I should've been born filthy rich.
post #75478 of 109053
Just get an umbrella.

Got poured on at the sounders match last weekend and had my Julius leather on. Oh well.
post #75479 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post


I'm simply not the sightseeing type, so heading somewhere for just a couple days doesn't appeal. My favourite vacations have been doing things like two week trips, cycling, snowboarding, learning to windsurf, hiking coasts - they're all things that connect you with people much more genuinely than you get in most cities. I don't disagree there's value in the Eurail/RyanAir weekend-getaway esque trips where you spend a day or two in a city or country, I just feel there's less of it.

Sounds great, but I imagine that most folk, like myself, just don't have room in the budget (in either time or money) to embark on such journeys. For those who can, I wish them all the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Stiff View Post

I'm going travelling in April-May-June down the West coast, across Mexico, and up the East coast to Toronto. It's going to be fun.

Will you be changing your user name to Unemployed Stiff? :BCD!
post #75480 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

Will you be changing your user name to Unemployed Stiff? :BCD!

Yep, one more month of work and then I'm quitting my job to be a drifter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts