Having a dress code - or worse, a nebulous, ill-defined dress code turned item of culture - is the worst part of a job. Going from an IDGAF workplace to MS has meant having to go out and buy a bunch of totally non-descript stuff that doesn't mesh at all with regular wear.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/9/16 at 4:10pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...
Last edited: 10/22/15
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 4928
Styleforum Top Pickspost #73907 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:39pmpost #73908 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:40pmYeah, now that I'm applying for all these internships it's like.. am I ready to have my soul crushed by biz cas?
I'll just wear my Jil geometric shirt and KVA elastic waist trousers every day. I guess biz caz can be cool if you ball out and get a bunch of Dries/Jil/Raf/Schneider/other designers that do office-wearable stuff with just enough subversion/details to be coolpost #73909 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:44pmQuote:
I only have to do this once every few weeks and it tends to be a good excuse to wear the combinations that're too stuffy for normal wear. I can't tell if anyone notices that my Raf shoes (what I tend to go with) are fur, though...post #73910 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:45pm
After hearing countless negative comments about frugality, poor hiring practices, and terrible management didn't even bother interviewing there. Had the option to go back to Google in NYC or Cambridge but ultimately the work here was more interesting/inline with career goals. No state income tax is nice too.
istasi, what field are you going in to? There are plenty of small companies that are chill with w/epost #73911 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:48pmpost #73912 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:48pmpost #73913 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:50pmi'm hoping that if i land a place with a dress code it'll be a suits everyday kind of gig. i'd way rather do that than do business casual. more expensive, but a way more appealing way to dress. to me at least.
maybe i'm just jaded because business casual is done so bad so often. schneider would actually be really really cool to wear in the office.post #73914 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:51pmpost #73915 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:54pmpost #73916 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:54pmQuote:
Going through recruiting for all the big strategy consulting firms now.. not sure if that's really what I want to do but I want to give it a shot, at very least will expose me to a lot of industries and very smart people for a couple years
Also applying for some marketing/branding type places, but those are a lot more lax on dress code
Depending on how things shake out could be looking at working on the corporate sustainability side of big companies, I'm a manager at a research institute here that does a lot of corp sust stuff so I've got a good network at a few places
Tech has always intrigued/interested me but I lack any technical background, and non-eng internships are very hard to come by from what I've found
So basically I have no idea what field I'm going into hahapost #73917 of 1090542/17/13 at 8:59pmhttp://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/goods/075446-62-003
Get the back double darted, it fits perfectly
Total ~ $35 easily
Get the hem tapered, pick up some wool trousers during F/W season when in stock
Total ~ $30 - 50
Easy going socks
Total ~ $3 - 10
Shoes, yeah go for something like Meermin or the like. I have found out that shoes matter more than anything, if you are only judging yourself. At the end of the day, trousers are going to fit like trousers and your shirt is going to be wrinkled like crazy. However, when you look down at your feet and you have on a nice pair of shoes, your feet will be thanking you. How the shirt and pants fit will depend on how you get them tailored, or MTM, same difference. Few good pairs of shoes to rotate in goes a long way more than the former, IME.post #73918 of 1090542/17/13 at 9:01pmQuote:
The problem with bizcas isn't what you can wear. It's the blandness of everything else.Quote:
Not a dress code so much as a concerted non-effort put into dress. This is the one of the companies that helped pioneer the Suit=Bad Culture Fit meme. I'm hoping to get a conversion offer so putting my head down, doing great work and letting that speak for me is the goal.
Google is an awesome place to work that really takes care of its employees, and I have very few negative things to say about it, but getting some more diversity and experience in a role I'm more interested in career-wise was worth giving up MKs and free food.post #73919 of 1090542/17/13 at 9:01pmpost #73920 of 1090542/17/13 at 9:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by mike868y
i'm hoping that if i land a place with a dress code it'll be a suits everyday kind of gig. i'd way rather do that than do business casual. more expensive, but a way more appealing way to dress. to me at least.
maybe i'm just jaded because business casual is done so bad so often. schneider would actually be really really cool to wear in the office.
Biz cas isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. I'd go nuts if I had to wear a suit every single day. I just think most guys do biz cas so poorly. My office is laid back and I wear everything from Ervell to EG. I don't dress edgy at all but have nice quality basics. An EG blazer looks good with khakis, ocbd, and some mcnairy/trickers/aldens/bucks which is essentially what you wear now minus the denim. You just have to be creative depending on how strict your dress code is.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
Styleforum Top Picks
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 2 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Random food thoughts - Street edition 7 minutes ago
- › thoughts on (asking for) price adjustments. 7 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 8 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 12 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 13 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 14 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...