Good words + thoughts teg but this phrase always irks me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 6/12/16 at 6:31pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 4887post #73291 of 1090532/8/13 at 11:54ampost #73292 of 1090532/8/13 at 11:55amjust preempting a reply that we all know was coming.
i'll also say this:
this site is a horrible place to try figure out what you want to do, because of the endless and obvious conscious consumption. it's hard to say 'i want to become a social worker' when everywhere you look lawyers and ibankers are dropping $45,000 on a patek or 10 pairs of edward greens.
you should also take the next few months and talk to one of your school's counselors. its the only time in your life that you can get free therapy -- take advantage of it.post #73293 of 1090532/8/13 at 11:57amQuote:Originally Posted by Teger
also it goes without saying that this conversation is the most first world problem thing imaginable, but still.. look at where we are. also 'money isn't everything/happiness' is definitely true, but having been so poor that i literally didn't have the money for a burger from mcdonalds, i'm sure as fuck thankful that i have enough money to eat. money doesn't solve your problems, but it lets you get to a position where your problems are 'what should i do after graduation' and not 'how the fuck can i buy medicine to live.'
so in short, what kanye said.
money ain't everything, but not having it, is.post #73294 of 1090532/8/13 at 11:57ampost #73295 of 1090532/8/13 at 11:58ampost #73296 of 1090532/8/13 at 11:59amQuote:
by money I mean 'the base floor wherein you can purchase food, a place to live and the occasional luxury.' money doesn't mean a pair of aldens a month. i probably make between $17,000 - $20,000 a year, and receive no outside help, and have found that wage very livable (for now).Quote:
I was leading a raid guild in wow
but I did well on my SATs...post #73297 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:00pmQuote:You're just angry because you make over $70K.Originally Posted by DesignerValet
Creating some abitrary figure as "enough to make you happy" is bullshit. Happiness is based upon your expectations; if you expect to make $40k and pull down $70k, yes, I can see that you'd be pretty happy. If, however, you expect a certain lifestyle (say, similar to the one you grew up in) that you cannot afford as an adult, I cannot imagine that you'd be satisfied.post #73298 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:09pmpost #73299 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:10pmsorry reedo and mikey, you're both probably screwed.
"I sometimes wonder that we can be so frivolous, I may almost say, as to attend to the gross but somewhat foreign form of servitude called Negro Slavery, there are so many keen and subtle masters that enslave both North and South. It is hard to have a Southern overseer; it is worse to have a Northern one; but worst of all when you are the slave-driver of yourself. Talk of a divinity in man! Look at the teamster on the highway, wending to market by day or night; does any divinity stir within him? His highest duty to fodder and water his horses! What is his destiny to him compared with the shipping interests? Does not he drive for Squire Make-a-stir? How godlike, how immortal, is he? See how he cowers and sneaks, how vaguely all the day he fears, not being immortal nor divine, but the slave and prisoner of his own opinion of himself, a fame won by his own deeds. Public opinion is a weak tyrant compared with our own private opinion. What a man thinks of himself, that it is which determines, or rather indicates, his fate. Self-emancipation even in the West Indian provinces of the fancy and imagination — what Wilberforce is there to bring that about? Think, also, of the ladies of the land weaving toilet cushions against the last day, not to betray too green an interest in their fates! As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things."
just kidding.post #73300 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:14pmpost #73301 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:16pmpost #73302 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:22pmpost #73303 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:24pmpost #73304 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:27pmpost #73305 of 1090532/8/13 at 12:37pmQuote:
But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon plowed into the soil for compost. ... It is a fool's life, as they will find when they get to the end of it, if not before.
K, but have you read his journals, though? He basically just lived in his parent's basement, mooched off his brother, and spent his days walking as far as the nearest pond to observe the battling insects, divining from their actions great and immutable truths....sort of like a 19th century version of Jeff Who Lives at Home.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
Currently, there are 1096 Active Users (169 Members and 927 Guests)
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 34 seconds ago
- › What is wrong with Brioni? 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 14 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 17 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 21 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 22 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 25 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 28 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding