Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 6/28/15 at 2:11pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:32 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Random fashion thoughts - Page 4703post #70531 of 1090541/1/13 at 3:41pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #70532 of 1090541/1/13 at 3:46pm
I am in serious need of a closet purge.
During 2011, I had a well-paying job, and I decided to spend on clothes. I splurged on designer labels and went out of my way to pick up clothes that I felt were built to last, and timeless in style. I thought of it as a long-term investment. I also took care of the clothes I bought. I was also a bit on the overweight side and everything I bought fit me was carefully selected to fit me then. I even paid full retail to get my size on some grail items.
Over the course of 2012, I lost 50 lbs and my body shape changed drastically. I tried to convince myself that I was merely toning my body and that my suit size would not change. Over the holidays, I tried on a lot of my stuff and everything hangs and drapes way too large. I can wear it, but it looks borderline ridiculous.
I need to come to terms that with weight loss comes size changes and that my long-term investments of 2011 are a wipe-out.post #70533 of 1090541/1/13 at 3:53pmpost #70534 of 1090541/1/13 at 4:02pmpost #70535 of 1090541/1/13 at 4:07pmAre you fairly slim now and your too-big clothes are still in the 50-52-54 (US 40-44) range, or are they multi-XL? If the former, you may still get quite good resale value, but almost any given selection of eBay listings is a testament to the difficulty of off-loading plus-sizes.
I can sympathize, though. I have hung onto a Dunhill suit in a nice windowpane pattern that I bought before I lost about 20 pounds a few years ago and it is totally unwearable but I think I need to hear a tailor tell me it's a lost cause before I can part with it.post #70536 of 1090541/1/13 at 4:21pm
My clothes are 44. Pants were 36-38.
I get so depressed when I go on ebay and see what the going rate for this stuff is. Frankly, the clothes resale market is a buyer's market. I have a couple of suits (Tom Ford, Brioni) that ran me a small fortune. When I bought them a slick salesman talked me into having alterations done to the waist and sleeves to drape and fit perfectly over my March 2011 body. They fit me like a sack now. It makes me sick thinking about what I'm going to do with them now.
Statistically, the chances of me getting an intelligent reply here, rather than a snide and embittered remark, are pretty small. I knew that, and you just proved me correct. Having trouble losing weight, are ya?post #70537 of 1090541/1/13 at 4:40pmQuote:
Look at your, now back to his, now back to your post.
Sadly, your post isn't his, but if you just chill out and understand he didn't mean anything with his joke, you can also make jokes.
Welcome to styleforum
Edited by kindofyoung - 1/1/13 at 5:04pmpost #70538 of 1090541/1/13 at 4:43pmQuote:
This. Everyone has different needs. If you can wear casual stuff to work and have a pretty focused aesthetic you can get away with a very small amount of clothes. Kind of the same if you have a job where you have to wear a suit everyday - you can get away with a small rotation of suits and then some casual stuff for nights and weekends. But if your work dress code varies, you live in a place with disparate seasons, and aren't quite as focused with the styles you wear the # of pieces will add up - Suits / biz casual / casual / heavier stuff for winter / lightweight pieces for summer
Also, what Master-classter posted pales in comparison to something like that guy who had 50+ pairs of Epaulet pants, and is fucking nothing compared to some of the guys over in MC some of which I think probably have enough clothes & shoes to fill my entire apartment.post #70539 of 1090541/1/13 at 4:51pmpost #70540 of 1090541/1/13 at 4:55pmQuote:
noob was hardly mean though, and I don't think my post was very mean eitherpost #70541 of 1090541/1/13 at 4:59pmpost #70542 of 1090541/1/13 at 5:21pmpost #70543 of 1090541/1/13 at 5:41pmWhoah, I wasn't being mean. Never sell stuff for an astronomical loss simply because you've recently lost weight -- I'd tell that to anyone.
Actually, that is some solid grandmother wisdom right there. I would explain her highly-evolved Two Closets Technique, if I was sure it wouldn't be taken the wrong way.post #70544 of 1090541/1/13 at 6:04pm
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 25 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 45 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › "The Rake" magazine 2 minutes ago
- › Alex Jones looks summery in delicate white lace mini dress 2 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge: Creative Business Casual 3 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › The Grad Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...