or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4584

post #68746 of 101118
It's always fun to see noobs insult the entire community with unfounded accusations and strawman arguments.
post #68747 of 101118
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeindc View Post

I'm a relative noob to the SF world, and browsing the WAYWT thread, do these people REALLY wear all that crap every day? I know SF's got a reputation for espousing high end stuff left and right, but really, how liveable are most of those outfits? I'd bet most of the things people wear in there, they're afraid of even getting a crease in their shirt or shoes. To me, if you can't comfortably live in your wardrobe - meaning, you're not afraid to get things a bit scuffed up, lived in, a stain here or there (of course try to avoid and correct those within reason), or not sweat about if someone doesn't recognize your $800 shoes and $200 tie - then you're doing it wrong. Maybe it's just my youngblood (aka no monies) status, but the best collections I've seen in those kinds of threads are the ones that you could wear day-in and day-out without having to justify them or needing groupie-approval. That's not to say some luxury items are worthless, but there's just a general fascination and unfounded need by people my age that just has me scratching my head sometimes, not just here on SF.

I got a pair of AE McAllisters shortly after I discovered SF because I actually needed a new pair of nicer shoes to wear to a wedding and other soon-to-be-coming weddings and formals. I thought it was a good investment, and I can't see myself ever getting rid of these shoes for an upgrade unless there is some ultra-compelling reason. Heck, I should probably wear them more often, given they're the most expensive piece of clothing I've ever purchased for myself.


TL;DR - things people have already said before

Have you seen any lifestyle pics some of the dudes have posted there? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, the majority of the great fits there you can easily link to awesome people with active lives, going out, not being afraid of ruining shit. Look at bows, aeglus, art, synth, regis, willy, drew, the list goes on and on and on.

At the same time not everyone is doing that shit. Sometimes it's just to work or class or whatever, so I guess the answer is yes, almost all the outfits posted in there are very 'liveable'.

WAYWT is exactly that: what you're wearing today.
Edited by g transistor - 12/6/12 at 2:08pm
post #68748 of 101118
There's nothing wrong with asking for some insights on these matters since it can be jarring for someone "not yet initiated and conditioned." But you're kind of opening a can of worms by requesting these insights in a backhanded, passive aggressive manner. Intentionally or not, it gives off the vibe that you've already formed your position and won't be wavered from it.
post #68749 of 101118
Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 
Have you seen any lifestyle pics some of the dudes have posted there? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, the majority of the great fits there you can easily link to awesome to people with active lives, going out, not being afraid of ruining shit. Look at bows, aeglus, art, synth, regis, willy, drew, the list goes on and on and on.
At the same time not everyone is doing that shit. Sometimes it's just to work or class or whatever, so I guess the answer is yes, almost all the outfits posted in there are very 'liveable'.
WAYWT is exactly that: what you're wearing today.

 

Nope, I haven't, and that's probably where I can get the insight that you've pointed out.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post

There's nothing wrong with asking for some insights on these matters since it can be jarring for someone "not yet initiated and conditioned." But you're kind of opening a can of worms by requesting these insights in a backhanded, passive aggressive manner. Intentionally or not, it gives off the vibe that you've already formed your position and won't be wavered from it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

It's always fun to see noobs insult the entire community with unfounded accusations and strawman arguments.

 

Wasn't my intention to accuse or insult anyone, just genuinely curious about what these people's daily lives are to afford them to wear these kinds of things, not monetarily but situationally. I definitely can appreciate higher-end items, no doubt about that, I'm just wondering about the drivers behind some of the sartorial choices and plaudits and criticisms that SF tends to give out.

post #68750 of 101118
This is StyleForum, not PracticalityForum, after all.
post #68751 of 101118
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeindc View Post

I'm a relative noob to the SF world, and browsing the WAYWT thread, do these people REALLY wear all that crap every day? I know SF's got a reputation for espousing high end stuff left and right, but really, how liveable are most of those outfits? I'd bet most of the things people wear in there, they're afraid of even getting a crease in their shirt or shoes. To me, if you can't comfortably live in your wardrobe - meaning, you're not afraid to get things a bit scuffed up, lived in, a stain here or there (of course try to avoid and correct those within reason), or not sweat about if someone doesn't recognize your $800 shoes and $200 tie - then you're doing it wrong. Maybe it's just my youngblood (aka no monies) status, but the best collections I've seen in those kinds of threads are the ones that you could wear day-in and day-out without having to justify them or needing groupie-approval. That's not to say some luxury items are worthless, but there's just a general fascination and unfounded need by people my age that just has me scratching my head sometimes, not just here on SF.

I got a pair of AE McAllisters shortly after I discovered SF because I actually needed a new pair of nicer shoes to wear to a wedding and other soon-to-be-coming weddings and formals. I thought it was a good investment, and I can't see myself ever getting rid of these shoes for an upgrade unless there is some ultra-compelling reason. Heck, I should probably wear them more often, given they're the most expensive piece of clothing I've ever purchased for myself.


TL;DR - things people have already said before

ok
post #68752 of 101118

I don't know what it is about clothes that would make you worried about ruining something. Way more worried about wrecking my bike or having to replace wheels than scuffing my shoes or tearing my shirt. With shit like Rick especially it's practically intended.

post #68753 of 101118
As someone who straddles the MC/SWD spectrum of clothing (mostly MC during work hours, mostly SWD during off hours) I can see how each side may think very differently about what is appropriate and acceptable wear for more formal/sober occasions. Personally, I would not feel comfortable in all black clothing/mostly black clothing in my day-to-day wear, yet would have no issues wearing all dark colors to a funeral or job interview. On the other hand, some SWD guys wear all black/mostly black daily, so I can see how they would think that altering a few pieces (perhaps switching to a simple, but still within their wardrobe, black jacket for an interview or funeral (or what have you)) would work for them. And it would. One has to understand the context of the clothes and the situation. The other, overlooked point, is that all of us are different. Some come from stodgy families, and some come from wild ones; some are prim and proper, and others are more flamboyant. These may be unmentioned but important reasons for feeling more or less comfortable with what we wear when thrust into family gatherings.

Ultimately, I don't see why simple Raf or Jil derbies couldn't work in just about every context mentioned, no matter your background, family "style" or what have you.
post #68754 of 101118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesamourai View Post

Happy birthday to Brad.
At least we're all older that koy

 

thumbs-up.gif

and yeah, happy birtday brad smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeindc View Post

I'm a relative noob to the SF world, and browsing the WAYWT thread, do these people REALLY wear all that crap every day? I know SF's got a reputation for espousing high end stuff left and right, but really, how liveable are most of those outfits? I'd bet most of the things people wear in there, they're afraid of even getting a crease in their shirt or shoes. To me, if you can't comfortably live in your wardrobe - meaning, you're not afraid to get things a bit scuffed up, lived in, a stain here or there (of course try to avoid and correct those within reason), or not sweat about if someone doesn't recognize your $800 shoes and $200 tie - then you're doing it wrong. Maybe it's just my youngblood (aka no monies) status, but the best collections I've seen in those kinds of threads are the ones that you could wear day-in and day-out without having to justify them or needing groupie-approval. That's not to say some luxury items are worthless, but there's just a general fascination and unfounded need by people my age that just has me scratching my head sometimes, not just here on SF.

 

I got a pair of AE McAllisters shortly after I discovered SF because I actually needed a new pair of nicer shoes to wear to a wedding and other soon-to-be-coming weddings and formals. I thought it was a good investment, and I can't see myself ever getting rid of these shoes for an upgrade unless there is some ultra-compelling reason. Heck, I should probably wear them more often, given they're the most expensive piece of clothing I've ever purchased for myself.

TL;DR - things people have already said before

Some comments:

What you consider crap will most likely change if you stay here for a while.

The thread IS named "what are you wearing today", ergo, lives are lived in these clothes (and there's too much else in life to keep track on whether or not your clothes fit just the right way).

Groupie-approval is not the purpose of the thread and the majority of regular posters definitely don't see it that way.

 

TL;DR - things people have already said before wink.gif

post #68755 of 101118
Things brings up the major difference in my mind between SWD and MC. In MC, the general goal is to keep everything looking perfect- suits, ties, shine those shoes 'til they sparkle. In SWD, generally the more heavily worn things are, the better they look- denim, leather jackets, shoes.

Regardless, noobs being shocked at the cost of any of this stuff is nothing new. I do home renovation and yard work in $300 jeans.
post #68756 of 101118
In unrelated thoughts, it's nice when webshops list items as "only 1 left" when stock gets low. This assuredly makes me panic and buy it.
post #68757 of 101118
zissou, on the surface your comments regarding things being better when they are broken in are correct with regards to MC/SWD. However, I can say with certainty that MC places a high value on things like patina on old shoes, the look of "lived-in" suits and sport coats, beat-up leather accessories (gloves, briefcases, etc.). In fact, one could argue that the prevalent undertone of SWD on switching things up so often (new season, new styles, new trends) would preclude many of the SWD'ers items from ever being "worn in".
post #68758 of 101118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

zissou, on the surface your comments regarding things being better when they are broken in are correct with regards to MC/SWD. However, I can say with certainty that MC places a high value on things like patina on old shoes, the look of "lived-in" suits and sport coats, beat-up leather accessories (gloves, briefcases, etc.). In fact, one could argue that the prevalent undertone of SWD on switching things up so often (new season, new styles, new trends) would preclude many of the SWD'ers items from ever being "worn in".

I believe this to a certain degree. However I like my pieces best when they are broken in. I consume a lot less than a lot of people on this forum (which I don't think a lot of people know) and most of my clothes are very lived in. In fact, I only have 5 pairs of shoes (including sneakers) The only things I own that aren't are my really structured blazers, since I rarely have a chance to wear them.
post #68759 of 101118
I don't worry too much about my clothes getting beaten up, that's how they develop personality and how you develop an attachment to them. I mean, no, I prolly won't go running through a mudpit with my new MMM GATs, but babying clothes sucks, and it's honestly pretty weird lol
post #68760 of 101118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bows1 View Post

I believe this to a certain degree. However I like my pieces best when they are broken in. I consume a lot less than a lot of people on this forum (which I don't think a lot of people know) and most of my clothes are very lived in. In fact, I only have 5 pairs of shoes (including sneakers) The only things I own that aren't are my really structured blazers, since I rarely have a chance to wear them.

Me too. I don't own much footwear partly because of this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts