or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4582

post #68716 of 100264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meis View Post

Very, very few people notice anything....

FTFY (I mean really it's true)
post #68717 of 100264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

why take the risk? why not spend $40 to have a pair of shoes you know won't offend anyone, ever?

 

Idk man, do you really live your life in perpetual fear of offending someone?  I guess if someone is truly offended that the soles of my shoes are white (hypothetically) they can go fuck themselves with their park avenues.  I don't want to spend my money on shit I don't like just so I don't potentially hurt someone's feelings (?), and it's hardly like I'm showing up to a funeral in khakis and a polo.

 

I feel like this is an excuse used by MC types to justify owning really boring, expensive clothing.

post #68718 of 100264
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post

this. no one you meet in the corporate world is going to notice the slight bulbous toe and berate you for not wearing c&j.

the point is that while 99.99% of people won't notice, there is a small segment of people who will notice and who will care. the idea is that if you're putting together a comprehensive shoe wardrobe, that you should take a few hours and get measured and then spent $40 buying a pair of ultra-bland dress shoes just incase - it's not worth the risk possibly jeopardizing your job prospects or offending someone on the off chance that they might actually notice what you're wearing.

and while it's nice to say 'nobody notices anything ever', what's more likely - that they're going to notice when you're wearing something that conforms, or when you're wearing something out of the norm?
post #68719 of 100264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

I disagree with this. There's a certain 'standard' that exists in men's dress in America, and when you deviate from that standard you can attract attention. That might be fine in certain contexts (or even expected, as in interview in the artistic community), but it's also extraordinary rude in other settings. You should own a pair of bland, inoffensive dress shoes and a bland, inoffensive suit for the times you want to be bland and inoffensive. I think a funeral or a wake is a good example of one of those times.

I like to think if I'm at a funeral, peoples minds will be on something other than my clothes.
And yes I work in a creative field and wear plokhov to job interviews.

I have no interest in ever being bland and inoffensive.
post #68720 of 100264
I'm selling stuff and getting pm's from people with 0 forum activity or any buyer/seller feedback. Should I just ignore these people?
post #68721 of 100264
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Idk man, do you really live your life in perpetual fear of offending someone?  I guess if someone is truly offended that the soles of my shoes are white (hypothetically) they can go fuck themselves with their park avenues.  I don't want to spend my money on shit I don't like just so I don't potentially hurt someone's feelings (?), and it's hardly like I'm showing up to a funeral in khakis and a polo.

I feel like this is an excuse used by MC types to justify owning really boring, expensive clothing.

well, because I'm a reasonable human being, I do take into account how other people will perceive me, especially in environments were their opinion can have consequences on my life, or in a situation where my clothing choices could hurt someone I care about -- there's a reason that I wear a suit to a funeral, even though it's "boring and stupid".

there's a difference between living in "perpetual fear of offending someone" and dressing appropriately for a job interview because you want to make a good impression. I sure wish that I could wear whatever I want whenever I wanted and nobody would give a fuck, but that's not the world I (or anyone) lives in.

your clothing choices have both positive and negative consequences. just be thankful that the negative consequences we're talking about here aren't "getting lynched."

that's one of the biggest thing that people on this forum (moreso MC) fail to grasp -- context. certain clothing choices are appropriate in certain contexts.
post #68722 of 100264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

..that they're going to notice when you're wearing something that conforms, or when you're wearing something out of the norm?

I think we get stuck in our own universe (SF generally) when we have these discussions. The "norm" in fact is that the 99.99% of people dress like shit. (slightly exaggerated for demonstrative effect) nod[1].gif
post #68723 of 100264
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozah View Post

I'm selling stuff and getting pm's from people with 0 forum activity or any buyer/seller feedback. Should I just ignore these people?

I remember back when the feedback feature hadn't existed yet and everyone simply prayed that they wouldn't receive a coke bottle in their package.
post #68724 of 100264
on topic, how do park aves fit? need some dress shoes.
post #68725 of 100264
im more worried these days as a seller than a buyer - paypal will basically side with the buyer in any circumstance.
post #68726 of 100264
Personally I plan on having a viking funeral. Teger you're invited and can wear whatever footwear you please.
post #68727 of 100264
I find the idea of wakes horrifying. was almost ill at the last one I was at.
post #68728 of 100264
One of those strange social constructs I don't really buy into in the first place
post #68729 of 100264
the jewish way is the best - funeral a day or two after the death, closed casket, quick service. then lots of eating.
post #68730 of 100264
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post

I remember back when the feedback feature hadn't existed yet and everyone simply prayed that they wouldn't receive a coke bottle in their package.
I'm more concerned about the people who look like they just made an account today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts