or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4580

post #68686 of 98342

I'm from the Cape/Boston originally so no stranger, was curious if NYC was any better. Thank god for A/C I suppose

post #68687 of 98342
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

i wasn't really trying to say that its a 1-1 comparison, just that there is a lot of hyperbole in that thread, and frequently some not-so-great fits with a ton praise because its a toj. i actually really like a lot of toj products, im thinking of getting a bomber even, just theres some it/engineering types maybe shouldnt be buyin a black leather DR, namsayin? and no one ever says anything about that in the thread

This is actually a spot on assessment but its really nobodies business to try and dictate someones personal style or dressing preferences.
post #68688 of 98342
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

Also, it's my birthday today. I'm 24 now.

"Happy birthday."
post #68689 of 98342
I just noticed you can un-check the "Import Images" option at the bottom

"happy birthday bradley"
post #68690 of 98342
Quote:
Originally Posted by artishard116 View Post

Been trying to lock down my footwear game lately and this is what i decided was 'necessary'. Your results may vary. Did I miss anything?
Boots
1 x mid-height lace up - black (augusta, carpe/wjk, buttero, guidi, etc)
1x side-zip - black (carpe/wjk, mmm, ndc, ccp, etc)
1x side-zip grey or brown (^)
1x some form of white/offwhite - (kind of superfluous)
Shoes
1x 'nice' shoe - black (cp wedge sole, raf/jil derby, etc)
1x grungy derby - black/grey (10 seiwhateverthefuck, moma, andrew mcdonald, carpe/wjk, etc)
Sneakers
1x high-top - black/white (rick dunks, silent, kva, raf, mmm, etc)
1x low-top - black/white (MARGELLONS)
Only need one or two more things on the list, plus some I plan to upgrade. Feels good.

Good list.

I don't particularly like side zips though, so I'd probably replace one of them with a lower shaft boot, one I can still wear in the summer time without melting. Otherwise, I have them all but the off white boots and the high top sneakers. I can never find a good pair in 46. ffffuuuu.gif
post #68691 of 98342
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post

Agreed there are quite a few bad outfits in the Epaulet thread, which is a shame, because I think that's not usually a result of the clothes themselves. A lot of the people who contribute photos in that thread just seem to lack any real sense of styling or fit and operate under the apparent impression that nice clothes will seamlessly transition into nice outfits.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

what's odd is that most of those posters don't post elsewhere

 

 

these two issues combined are what the problem is, I think. I know why most of those guys don't post in WAYWT; it's because they feel it's too harsh and they don't want to get flamed. NYR at least will post in WAYWT occasionally, but otherwise, I don't see anyone else venturing outside the confines of the affiliate thread. And most of them need to. Posting in WAYWT and actually following the advice of people who knew what they were talking about helped me immensely. Even if all it does is teach you that you can't just buy a bunch of nice/expensive shit, throw it together, and expect to look good.

 

to their credit, Mike and his staff will never say anything bad about fits (nor should they), except in the rare occasion such as when I posted an admitted "not sure if good" blazerjeans fit and actively solicited advice. otherwise they have to tread lightly so as not to offend their customers, and understandably so.

 

it is too bad though that there isn't more active criticism of what gets posted there. I don't know what the solution is -- maybe I will suggest more often to guys that they ought to post in WAYWT but I don't want to just come off as saying "this is bad, and I'd like others to tell you why."

post #68692 of 98342
you should probably have a pair of actual dress shoes too.
post #68693 of 98342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Good list.
I don't particularly like side zips though, so I'd probably replace one of them with a lower shaft boot, one I can still wear in the summer time without melting. Otherwise, I have them all but the off white boots and the high top sneakers. I can never find a good pair in 46. ffffuuuu.gif
they're the only thing i can justify having multiple pairs of cause they're pretty much my go to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

you should probably have a pair of actual dress shoes too.
luckily i'm never in situations that would require something beyond cp/raf/jil. this is one of the holes i need to fill though.
post #68694 of 98342
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post



these two issues combined are what the problem is, I think. I know why most of those guys don't post in WAYWT; it's because they feel it's too harsh and they don't want to get flamed. NYR at least will post in WAYWT occasionally, but otherwise, I don't see anyone else venturing outside the confines of the affiliate thread. And most of them need to. Posting in WAYWT and actually following the advice of people who knew what they were talking about helped me immensely. Even if all it does is teach you that you can't just buy a bunch of nice/expensive shit, throw it together, and expect to look good.

to their credit, Mike and his staff will never say anything bad about fits (nor should they), except in the rare occasion such as when I posted an admitted "not sure if good" blazerjeans fit and actively solicited advice. otherwise they have to tread lightly so as not to offend their customers, and understandably so.

it is too bad though that there isn't more active criticism of what gets posted there. I don't know what the solution is -- maybe I will suggest more often to guys that they ought to post in WAYWT but I don't want to just come off as saying "this is bad, and I'd like others to tell you why."

Thanks for this. I read all the Epaulet stuff last night late and was trying to formulate a cogent reply and then...oh hai bourbon. Never mind.

I often want to post feedback about people's fits but I feel like everyone in that thread is just posting so they can hear others say nice things. In WAYWT there's an implicit context that people are going to critique your fit, but also praise it when they like it. In there, it's just feels more like a mutual admiration society, which is fine, to a degree, but I'd enjoy seeing less of some people's fits, and a little more of the "how can I make this a little better?" approach.

That said, I suck at getting my own fits posted, so there's that.
post #68695 of 98342
artishard: just get sized in allen edmonds park avenues and buy a used pair off ebay for $50. easy.
post #68696 of 98342
Park Avenues? Why would he want to do that? I can't see it meshing at all with any possible suit he has.
post #68697 of 98342
because they're a generic dress shoe that's appropriate for things like funerals or formal job interviews. there are events where personal stylistic proclivities have no place - you don't want to push the boundaries at a wake.

that being said he should have a nice generic suit too.
post #68698 of 98342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

because they're a generic dress shoe that's appropriate for things like funerals or formal job interviews. there are events where personal stylistic proclivities have no place - you don't want to push the boundaries at a wake.
that being said he should have a nice generic suit too.

 

I always found this mentality stupid.  If everyone else is wearing suits two sizes too big from men's wearhouse and square-toed shoes from Marshalls, I can wear dressy-looking boots or a slightly fashionable suit without offending anyone.

post #68699 of 98342
Quote:
Originally Posted by artishard116 View Post

Been trying to lock down my footwear game lately and this is what i decided was 'necessary'. Your results may vary. Did I miss anything?
Boots
1 x mid-height lace up - black (augusta, carpe/wjk, buttero, guidi, etc)
1x side-zip - black (carpe/wjk, mmm, ndc, ccp, etc)
1x side-zip grey or brown (^)
1x some form of white/offwhite - (kind of superfluous)
Shoes
1x 'nice' shoe - black (cp wedge sole, raf/jil derby, etc)
1x grungy derby - black/grey (10 seiwhateverthefuck, moma, andrew mcdonald, carpe/wjk, etc)
Sneakers
1x high-top - black/white (rick dunks, silent, kva, raf, mmm, etc)
1x low-top - black/white (MARGELLONS)
Only need one or two more things on the list, plus some I plan to upgrade. Feels good.


I think another pair of derbies would be good to have and be able to rotate through

and maybe a pair of ma+ backzips devil.gif
post #68700 of 98342
In these occasions, you aren't dressing for yourself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts