or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4554

post #68296 of 98848
also why are any of you responding to gettoasty seriously? he's just trolling.
post #68297 of 98848
post #68298 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

Your complaints were as much about the idea of HM x MMM as the cost of the products: why would the collaboration be monstrous at $300 but a-ok at $150?
The point is that the items look nice because they're carbon copies of MMM items that looked nice in the first place.
What bugs me the most about this is that if you care so much about the exclusivity of designer clothing (which is what most of these complaints amount to), you should applaud these types of collaborations because they introduce your expensive niche brand to a wider audience in a way that shows them the label exists, yet doesn't give them an opportunity to purchase the 'authentic' pieces that you already own. It's a form of advertisement that leads to more aspirational consumers that will recognize your $4000 Lanvin jacket for what it is while understanding what they own is a pale imitation of the original.
This isn't only directed at you - I honestly don't think you're too concerned about the exclusiveness of MMM being diluted by plebes who shop at H&M.


No, you're completely missing why a lot of us object to it.

It has nothing to do with the relative value, and it's also nothing to do with exclusivity.

The simple fact is that H&M could have copied the items themselves if they wanted to. But they realised that they'd be better off doing a "collaboration" because that would enable them to market the goods based on the hype of the brand.

I.e. the whole thing is a venture in brand hype. It perhaps might not have existed if "Margiela" wasn't in a Kanye lyric. It's not about design, it's not even about value.

I don't care about the items themselves. I think it's great that styleforum is finally able to find a sidezip boot that for some reason has eluded its members for years and caused much strife.
post #68299 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

No, you're completely missing why a lot of us object to it.
It has nothing to do with the relative value, and it's also nothing to do with exclusivity.
The simple fact is that H&M could have copied the items themselves if they wanted to. But they realised that they'd be better off doing a "collaboration" because that would enable them to market the goods based on the hype of the brand.
I.e. the whole thing is a venture in brand hype. It perhaps might not have existed if "Margiela" wasn't in a Kanye lyric. It's not about design, it's not even about value.
I don't care about the items themselves. I think it's great that styleforum is finally able to find a sidezip boot that for some reason has eluded it and caused much strife.

what? I think you need to reread both my posts and a lot of posts complaining about the collaboration.

your posts treats MMM as such a passive entity - any collaboration is a marketing campaign for both parties. and do you know what brand was one of the first to collaborate with H&M? comme de garcons. and that was long before kanye started spouting designer names in his lyrics.

I don't care about how innovative or well designed some their products are (or were), MMM is still a business. to pretend otherwise is to buy into yet another form of marketing - treating designers solely as artist instead of businessmen.
post #68300 of 98848
Pretty sure the first guest designer for H&M was Viktor & Rolf.

Now carry on
post #68301 of 98848
how interested would people be in buying my size 48 jil metallic turtleneck? fits a 46 to a very slim 48. i'm debating whether i should keep it or sell it. i would honestly like to trade for a 46, but that seems unlikely to happen at this point...

please just post responses here or through likes. don't pm me about it unless i make a sales thread UNLESS you are looking to size up and have a 46 available for trade icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif.
post #68302 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

what? I think you need to reread both my posts and a lot of posts complaining about the collaboration.
your posts treats MMM as such a passive entity - any collaboration is a marketing campaign for both parties. and do you know what brand was one of the first to collaborate with H&M? comme de garcons. and that was long before kanye started spouting designer names in his lyrics.
I don't care about how innovative or well designed some their products are (or were), MMM is still a business. to pretend otherwise is to buy into yet another form of marketing - treating designers solely as artist instead of businessmen.


Where in my post did I say anything about Margiela the brand not being a business? Where in my post have I implied anywhere that H&M is the big baddie and Margiela is the good guy?

You've gone off on some tangent about business and blah-di-blah without understanding what I'm saying.

Do you think I have a problem with people running a profitable business???

No. I'm speaking from the point of view of the fashion consumer. As far as I'm concerned, everyone is the bad guy to me. As a fashion consumer I would like to get bang for my buck. If that's discounted H&MMM or whatever, so be it. I would just prefer that I'm buying it because of design and quality and price. H&M do not need to pay for a collab for those features.
post #68303 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofyoung View Post

mHp7i.jpg
I really want a moto

Hey look it's that same fit you always post

post #68304 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by slstr View Post

Hey look it's that same fit you always post

lol8[1].gif
post #68305 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post

Seriously GT, did a synapse snap in your brain?

i don't think you understand what a synapse is.


i should go to law school and do patent law for pharma companies. then maybe i'd have the prospect of making money sometime in the next 15 years.
post #68306 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post

Seriously GT, did a synapse snap in your brain?

i don't think you understand what a synapse is.

i should go to law school and do patent law for pharma companies. then maybe i'd have the prospect of making money sometime in the next 15 years.

Synapse is to snap as hisouse is to house

Lolol all the patents are expiring left and right and the gov't has put absurd caps on patent durations big pharma is out of easy common targets too

Why you guys are going to law skool prospects seem crappy for all but stanleyvanburen....
Edited by the shah - 12/2/12 at 7:23am
post #68307 of 98848
My face when reading this thread last night.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #68308 of 98848
cute
post #68309 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

Synapse is to snap as hisouse is to house
Lolol all the patents are expiring left and right and the gov't has put absurd caps on patent durations big pharma is out of easy common targets too
Why you guys are going to law skool I know so many graduates from top 5 that got no work and plenty of debt, only on guy who got a good contract after getting out..

Patent law is in dire need of reform. The fact that apple could get a patent on curved edges is ridiculous. There are so many stupid patents out there that it puts a serious toll on innovation.
post #68310 of 98848
Quote:
Originally Posted by slstr View Post

Hey look it's that same fit you always post

I've posted that fit twice, having trouble understanding how that equals "always"
Also this is isn't waywt, and the post was only about the jacket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts