or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4457

post #66841 of 103405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

It wasn't always like this but there's definitely an adaptive capacity with regards to the mind's ability to recognize good/progressive design. When I got into this game in 06 I wasn't able to process a lot of things when i saw them, not able to see them in context nor multi-dimensionally. I would just see what was on the rack or in pictures online. Clothes have to be felt and worn to be appreciated, on the hanger they are just two dimensions but on the body the depth and volume is perceived. I spent a great deal of time on the forums and going to virtually every shop in LA trying things on so slowly my mind was able to digest all of the details and design of each garment. There are things I still kick myself for not picking up but I didn't know better back then because my comfort zone was far more constricted that it is now. There was a willhelm robe I thought was ridiculous and it sat at sw for months until one day it finally disappeared. It took me over a year to recognize how brilliant it was. Contrary to your initial point it only got better when I really figured out what jil was about in 07 even though I handled it quite a bit the year prior at barneys. Different shops have different buys and jil especially has quite the expansive showroom from what I hear. It is nearly impossible for any two shops to have somewhat similar buys and quality is tiered in my experience. A particular shop I dealt with only sold the very high end garments while barney's down the street had the crude pedestrian pieces because they were afraid the others were too luxurious and unaffordable I imagine. This design boom lasted until late 2009 which is what I've been lecturing here for some time, then and now it is still superb when I go through my closet and pictures I've saved. The fact that hindsight is clearer or the perception that older is better has no bearing on my opinions, it just is. We are definitely in a design depression since vb is no more, mmm design team is history, raf going insane and making a mockery of jil not to mention his own line in as far as the aesthetics I am drawn to. There are new designers emerging all the time and there always will be but none of them really seem to have a more signature vision that lends itself to perceived wearability than my preferred ones above.

Well, she is back, sorta. Here's hoping that new mens collections follow soon.
post #66842 of 103405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post


It wasn't always like this but there's definitely an adaptive capacity with regards to the mind's ability to recognize good/progressive design. When I got into this game in 06 I wasn't able to process a lot of things when i saw them, not able to see them in context nor multi-dimensionally. I would just see what was on the rack or in pictures online. Clothes have to be felt and worn to be appreciated, on the hanger they are just two dimensions but on the body the depth and volume is perceived. I spent a great deal of time on the forums and going to virtually every shop in LA trying things on so slowly my mind was able to digest all of the details and design of each garment. There are things I still kick myself for not picking up but I didn't know better back then because my comfort zone was far more constricted that it is now. There was a willhelm robe I thought was ridiculous and it sat at sw for months until one day it finally disappeared. It took me over a year to recognize how brilliant it was. Contrary to your initial point it only got better when I really figured out what jil was about in 07 even though I handled it quite a bit the year prior at barneys. Different shops have different buys and jil especially has quite the expansive showroom from what I hear. It is nearly impossible for any two shops to have somewhat similar buys and quality is tiered in my experience. A particular shop I dealt with only sold the very high end garments while barney's down the street had the crude pedestrian pieces because they were afraid the others were too luxurious and unaffordable I imagine. This design boom lasted until late 2009 which is what I've been lecturing here for some time, then and now it is still superb when I go through my closet and pictures I've saved. The fact that hindsight is clearer or the perception that older is better has no bearing on my opinions, it just is. We are definitely in a design depression since vb is no more, mmm design team is history, raf going insane and making a mockery of jil not to mention his own line in as far as the aesthetics I am drawn to. There are new designers emerging all the time and there always will be but none of them really seem to have a more signature vision that lends itself to perceived wearability than my preferred ones above.

 

I wouldn't mind if you occasionally dropped the internet persona for posts like this more often, either.

 

I've been wearing my VB coat every single day since it got cold.  It's not flashy or weird like a lot of shit that gets repped here, it's just really, really perfect.  MMM has a lot of things with that characteristic, too.  Every time I've owned something that was avant garde or really blatantly designer-y, it's been sold or gone back eventually, and I can't think of a lot of designers that are catering to people who just want to wear normal-ish, nice (casual) clothes right now.  If you're the funky bizcaz/ trouser-wearing type, you can do a lot better, but really I just want to wear jeans + boots + knit/tshirt and jacket 90% of the time.  Name me a designer that had jeans as a core part of their collection this season that isn't in the goth ninja camp.

post #66843 of 103405
Hey Parker what you think about h&s vs scabal for some custom dinner pants? Anything else I should consider?
post #66844 of 103405
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist View Post

100% Authentic Bird Wings
Wood Structure

WHY NOT BONE, SRULI?

he used all the bones to make cock rings and self-asphyxiation devices
post #66845 of 103405

A friend of mine filmed a bond costume/prop/etc exhibition on his iphone and there's also a couple of thoughts from Lindy Hemming (Golden Eye to Casino Royale) about Bond's style identity.
post #66846 of 103405
For anyone in the US who has ever bought from the Rick Owens Tokyo store - did you get hit with a customs fee? What %age of the purchase was it?

Also, they're asking me if I would prefer they ship an item with DHL or EMS; is one service generally preferable to the other?
post #66847 of 103405
EMS for sure.
post #66848 of 103405
DHL is the worst
post #66849 of 103405
For those of you in NYC; I just found an amazing fashion magazine store. 37th between 7th and Broadway, south side of the street. Its got everything!
post #66850 of 103405
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

It wasn't always like this but there's definitely an adaptive capacity with regards to the mind's ability to recognize good/progressive design. When I got into this game in 06 I wasn't able to process a lot of things when i saw them, not able to see them in context nor multi-dimensionally. I would just see what was on the rack or in pictures online. Clothes have to be felt and worn to be appreciated, on the hanger they are just two dimensions but on the body the depth and volume is perceived. I spent a great deal of time on the forums and going to virtually every shop in LA trying things on so slowly my mind was able to digest all of the details and design of each garment. There are things I still kick myself for not picking up but I didn't know better back then because my comfort zone was far more constricted that it is now. There was a willhelm robe I thought was ridiculous and it sat at sw for months until one day it finally disappeared. It took me over a year to recognize how brilliant it was. Contrary to your initial point it only got better when I really figured out what jil was about in 07 even though I handled it quite a bit the year prior at barneys. Different shops have different buys and jil especially has quite the expansive showroom from what I hear. It is nearly impossible for any two shops to have somewhat similar buys and quality is tiered in my experience. A particular shop I dealt with only sold the very high end garments while barney's down the street had the crude pedestrian pieces because they were afraid the others were too luxurious and unaffordable I imagine. This design boom lasted until late 2009 which is what I've been lecturing here for some time, then and now it is still superb when I go through my closet and pictures I've saved. The fact that hindsight is clearer or the perception that older is better has no bearing on my opinions, it just is. We are definitely in a design depression since vb is no more, mmm design team is history, raf going insane and making a mockery of jil not to mention his own line in as far as the aesthetics I am drawn to. There are new designers emerging all the time and there always will be but none of them really seem to have a more signature vision that lends itself to perceived wearability than my preferred ones above.

I wouldn't mind if you occasionally dropped the internet persona for posts like this more often, either.

I've been wearing my VB coat every single day since it got cold.  It's not flashy or weird like a lot of shit that gets repped here, it's just really, really perfect.  MMM has a lot of things with that characteristic, too.  Every time I've owned something that was avant garde or really blatantly designer-y, it's been sold or gone back eventually, and I can't think of a lot of designers that are catering to people who just want to wear normal-ish, nice (casual) clothes right now.  If you're the funky bizcaz/ trouser-wearing type, you can do a lot better, but really I just want to wear jeans + boots + knit/tshirt and jacket 90% of the time.  Name me a designer that had jeans as a core part of their collection this season that isn't in the goth ninja camp.

Fully in agreement

That's why I brush off words like "boring" and "basic" I just have to be completely honest with myself, I buy what I'm going to wear on a regular basis/ makes me confortable and happy. I'm just glad I never fell into the many hyped brands around here, I would have spent thousands on a particular aesthetic for no reason other than what I've always disagree with. Not that I want to offend or come across as someone that I am not but with the way I look I've never had the want/desire to do a more 'out there' style, it would make me look very try hard/dressed by SF in my opinion. Yes I do believe some people pull off an aesthetic better than others, with some exceptions*. For instance I would look ridiculous in Yohji. Plus it just feels good when you've found that brand that continuously makes what you want buy and sizing questions and all that are a non-issue.
post #66851 of 103405
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post

Fully in agreement
That's why I brush off words like "boring" and "basic" I just have to be completely honest with myself, I buy what I'm going to wear on a regular basis/ makes me confortable and happy. I'm just glad I never fell into the many hyped brands around here, I would have spent thousands on a particular aesthetic for no reason other than what I've always disagree with. Not that I want to offend or come across as someone that I am not but with the way I look I've never had the want/desire to do a more 'out there' style, it would make me look very try hard/dressed by SF in my opinion. Yes I do believe some people pull off an aesthetic better than others, with some exceptions*. For instance I would look ridiculous in Yohji. Plus it just feels good when you've found that brand that continuously makes what you want buy and sizing questions and all that are a non-issue.

I agree, just takes awhile to figure out what you really want.
post #66852 of 103405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Hey Parker what you think about h&s vs scabal for some custom dinner pants? Anything else I should consider?

Scabal fabrics are overpriced, fragile and really only good for something you wear 3x a year - at least that's my experience.

You're better off with H&S, Minnis, Lesser, etc...
post #66853 of 103405
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Scabal fabrics are overpriced, fragile and really only good for something you wear 3x a year - at least that's my experience.
You're better off with H&S, Minnis, Lesser, etc...

I searched for Scabal and this fabric is one of the first things that popped up.
7Za7m.jpg
post #66854 of 103405
lol, for one moment i thought this was the weirdest dress shoe ever
http://www.mrporter.com/product/343641
post #66855 of 103405
My scoop-neck does not flatter me at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts