Don't know where to put this advice request / memo to self, I hope here can kind of mesh in: MC is intimidating, although full of resources I've already tried to get advantage of.
Long story short, I'm going on a 7-day trip to NYC in which I'm required to suit up -- a 22 yo who's never owned/worn a suit.
I need this stuff quickly and (possibly) inexpensive.
- 2 navy suits, aiming at 700 for BOTH -- suit supply, cos or yoox. Will probably need alterations since I'm really thin
- 8 white dress shirts - the first ones I can get my hands on... Does this makes sense or is it worth spending some more time and money on them? Is it actually noticeable if I'm wearing a bad fitting shirt under a jacket? (the problem with shirts is that, by being very slim, cheaper shirts fit loose even though the collar and shoulders are ok.
- 1 pair of decent black shoes
- 3-4 cheap ties - again, are ties this (stress THIS) important?
As for the pocket square: I don't know if the guys I should look up to in that setting are going to wear a PS, and I don't want to come off as pretentious... Is it a safe bet to go without one?
Final note: I remember I recently read a post from either gdl or namor about building a business wardrobe (probably in RP or random thoughts) but I can't seem to find it anymore... I already checked SF 101 over at MC, but nothing
1. what is the event for?
2. do you have time to shop in ny? if so, uniqlo will answer all your suiting issues safely within your budget.
3. for shoes, go to allen edmonds. get the park avenues. a black captoe oxford is as conservative as you can get.
4. you probably won't need that pocket square